Brake failure causes a bus to crash into 6 cars on Patong Hill

webfact

Brake failure causes a bus to crash into 6 cars on Patong Hill

The bus damaged 6 cars including 2 vans, a Toyota car, 2 Nissans and a Mazda pick-up truck.

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

image_6483441-12-2.jpg

At about 2 pm yesterday (February 25), a bus suffered alleged brake failure, crashing into 6 cars in front of the temple down Patong Hill, resulting in one injury.

The bus damaged 6 cars including 2 vans, a Toyota car, 2 Nissans and a Mazda pick-up truck. All the cars were driving in front of the bus driven by 40 year old Kitti Nakchot. The bus lost control after the brake failure and crashed into the 6 cars at high speed.

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/brake-failure-causes-bus-crash-6-cars-patong-hill

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2018-02-26

We never hear of any follow ups on these crashes to state whether brake failure was the actual cause. I'm sure the insurance companies would investigate the proper cause of the accident.

As an ex-underwriter there is no way that I would consider writing an account for any bus company in Thailand. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Reporting on the phuket news site indicates that the driver failed to apply the brakes in time (ie wasn't paying attention) as opposed to the actual brakes 'failing'. Either way, just another day on the hill.

Maybe they have changed the report, but nothing of the sort on the Phuket News site.

There surely must be something wrong with brakes in Thailand.

The darned things don't seem to work as requested.

But I just heard from friends in Indonesia and the Phillipines it's the same there.

Must be something in the air?

• Like 1

"All the cars were driving in front of the bus driven by 40 year old Kitti Nakchot. The bus lost control after the brake failure......"

No!  The bus didn't lose control!  The bus driver, 40 year old Kitti Nakchot, lost control of the bus!  

Even the reporting acknowledges that it was the bus at fault.  Couldn't possibly be the driver guy sitting behind the wheel!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh? thats unusual, a bus crashing down Patong hill because of brake failure??

Especially after the carefully worked out safety arrangements that busses can not use the hill at times of rush hour, I thought that had cured all the bus accidents - silly me doh!

When is this brake failure nonsense going to stop? In my fantasy Thai world, the company or the driver would be in deep shit. 1 The drive is lying and was speeding and  charged with negligence 2 If no failsafe brakes fitted or faulty on the bus the bus company are charged with negligence

Edited by Dave67

Assuming the bus company has insurance and the drivers of the crunched cars have insurance, which insurance pays for the crunched cars (in Thailand, in a case like this)?  Assuming no misdirection of justice due to extralegal financial transactions.

20 hours ago, jerry921 said:

Assuming the bus company has insurance and the drivers of the crunched cars have insurance, which insurance pays for the crunched cars (in Thailand, in a case like this)?  Assuming no misdirection of justice due to extralegal financial transactions.

Bus company. Most likely, if 1st class insurance of the cars, that insurance company will pay their river, and after that go after the bus company to get reimbursed.

On 26/02/2018 at 9:37 PM, Lokie said:

Oh? thats unusual, a bus crashing down Patong hill because of brake failure??

Especially after the carefully worked out safety arrangements that busses can not use the hill at times of rush hour, I thought that had cured all the bus accidents - silly me doh!

As you quite rightly say, there is nothing to stop these buses going up and down Patong Hill at any time – – just yesterday at  about 9 AM I was slowed down by four buses crawling up the Patong Hill (creating a long tailback of course) and one more of them had actually come to a halt alongside of the road and all of the Chinese passengers were out in and around the shrubbery nearby.

Police and ambulance were there, so I'm not sure what happened?

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

As you quite rightly say, there is nothing to stop these buses going up and down Patong Hill at any time – – just yesterday at  about 9 AM I was slowed down by four buses crawling up the Patong Hill (creating a long tailback of course) and one more of them had actually come to a halt alongside of the road and all of the Chinese passengers were out in and around the shrubbery nearby.

Police and ambulance were there, so I'm not sure what happened?

Maybe was the re-enactment as we all know how important it is to get the facts right in brake failure cases on the hill of Death and also is nice to have a Photo opportunity... :jap:

• Haha 1