Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

14 minutes ago, Makara said:

They are out on bail and to my understanding awaiting there court hearing. 

But various enquiries here indicate that the matter has never been in the hands of the Thai police.

So what supports 'your understanding'...

You have continued for many hours now to avoid any really concrete and supported answers to the key points.

What's your %?

Edited by scorecard

19 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Perhaps he’s “investing” the time.... or a “campaign” manager ????

Perhaps I care about the situation and how quick a lot of people are calling out scam. What is crappy is they are currently facing prison time and you think these girls are scamming their friends and family for money. That is what is crappy here. And I am a woman not a a man. Not a he but a she.

1 minute ago, Makara said:

Perhaps I care about the situation and how quick a lot of people are calling out scam. What is crappy is they are currently facing prison time and you think these girls are scamming their friends and family for money. That is what is crappy here. And I am a woman not a a man. Not a he but a she.

If it’s friends and family doing the donations, as is right, then why bother coming online here, other than to improve donation numbers

proof  anything might help in that respect.

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

But various enquiries here indicate that the matter has never been in the hands of the Thai police.

So what supports 'your understanding'...

You have continued for many hours now to avoid any really concrete and supported answers to the key points.

What's your %?

I am only going by what I know. I have questions myself. So can I call the Thai police and ask these questions? Perhaps they can tell me? Is arrest records public there? Can we just find out? If that is a yes, and we don't have any evidence or arrest records on these women, then I would be concerned highly. Not concerned for a fake gofundme account, but concerned these women are in concrete danger. 

13 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

if they thought they were real they would have cashed at least one in immediately in Cambodia to pay for the 5 dollar room or upgrade to a 7 dollar room . and by the way in Cambodia they take us dollars everywhere . guest houses etc.!!!!!!!!!!  but no the girls waited till coming to Thailand to cash in the lottery winnings...............they are guilty. end of story

:sleepy:

24 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

this would be remarkably easy.  Once they hit their funding requests, they could take the money, claim that they were able to settle the matter with the police, get their passports back and return home, thanking everyone in return for all their efforts.  When pressed for details, they could say the matter was settled with the police, so no documents.  Something like that.  They'd get people to change the subject by overwhelming them with gratitude.

I think it is too public for something like that to happen. Too many unanswered questions and eyebrow raises would come from our end! Trust me.

13 minutes ago, Makara said:

I am saying that the majority of the people handing over their money are friends and family. This is so publicized and so out in the open that if this was to be a scam everyone in on it would go to prison themselves. Why would more than a few people risk that? I mean is it possible that they are in trouble? Is it so hard to believe that their stupidity took over and they F-d up and now are paying for it the the thai judicial system?  Is that really so impossible to believe? 

"...and now are paying for it the the thai judicial system? "

And you continue to ignore numerous reports that this matter has never been in the hands of the Thai police.

Careful, your at risk of trapping yourself within your own statements

• Like 1

Just now, Makara said:

I think it is too public for something like that to happen. Too many unanswered questions and eyebrow raises would come from our end! Trust me.

Going from the gofundme page comments , "raised eyebrows" are being deleted

5 minutes ago, Makara said:

I am only going by what I know. I have questions myself. So can I call the Thai police and ask these questions? Perhaps they can tell me? Is arrest records public there? Can we just find out? If that is a yes, and we don't have any evidence or arrest records on these women, then I would be concerned highly. Not concerned for a fake gofundme account, but concerned these women are in concrete danger. 

So in other words you don't know whether they are being held by the Thai police etc etc etc...

But you keep making statements that they are in police processes?

'More holes than swiss cheese'.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Makara said:

And I have already stated that I am not a close friend, however a person who cares about what happens.

Forgive me for being cynical , but I read that as : *Yes, I am involved with this and I know the girls , but I can tell you some things , but I cannot tell you everything, because I dont know them that well *

You know them well enough to give an explanation , but you dont know them well enough to give any answers .

You know them well enough to know that they have paid bail money , but you dont know them well enough to know their next Court date ? 

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"...and now are paying for it the the thai judicial system? "

And you continue to ignore numerous reports that this matter has never been in the hands of the Thai police.

Careful, your at risk of trapping yourself within your own statements

Well if they are not in the judicial system, as they have stated, then can something else of danger have happened to them? Or are we so sure that they have not been arrested? I would like to know if anyone here knows if their arrests are public? Anyone?

1 minute ago, Makara said:

Well if they are not in the judicial system, as they have stated, then can something else of danger have happened to them? Or are we so sure that they have not been arrested? I would like to know if anyone here knows if their arrests are public? Anyone?

Nope there has been nothing official , nothing to show that they have even been arrested .

All the info is coming from their fund raising/FB page .

Nothing official (or anything unofficial) from the Police, Courts or Media or anywhere else .

Just their Facebook /fund me pages .

No word from the girls for a few days either

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Makara said:

So now your backpeddling.

There are several posts already from some local forum members who know how to search such things here in Thailand (keeping in mind that this is a third world country and police processes are vague and not as sophisticated as the US, and most Thais and foreigners would strongly hesitate to make such enquiries).

The answers were that it's never been in the hands of the local Thai police, and further the local US embassy consulate are not aware of the case.

As a simple comment there is perhaps some danger that foreigners making false statements about police actions / bail matters etc., could lead to a different area of troubles. 

8 minutes ago, Makara said:

One thing that you can pretty much guarantee here when ever a foreigner is arrested for something (as we are the bad influences to society in Thailand) is the culprits are shown to the media with the happy police officers smiling whilst standing next to them. Knowing full well because they have arrested foreigners they will be due a nice bribe somewhere along the line (because as foreigners we're all apparently loaded). 

There hasn't been any of these things happening in this case. No news reports or images at all in the media. I find that highly surprising. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Nope there has been nothing official , nothing to show that they have even been arrested .

All the info is coming from their fund raising/FB page .

Nothing official (or anything unofficial) from the Police, Courts or Media or anywhere else .

Just their Facebook /fund me pages .

No word from the girls for a few days either

So makara, where are they, do you actually know where they are?

4 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

One thing that you can pretty much guarantee here when ever a foreigner is arrested for something (as we are the bad influences to society in Thailand) is the culprits are shown to the media with the happy police officers smiling whilst standing next to them. Knowing full well because they have arrested foreigners they will be due a nice bribe somewhere along the line (because as foreigners we're all apparently loaded). 

There hasn't been any of these things happening in this case. No news reports or images at all in the media. I find that highly surprising. 

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1026866-two-american-women-held-in-thailand-after-allegedly-caught-with-fake-us-dollars/

59 minutes ago, Makara said:

I believe you may have the dates wrong. As I remember he posted that after.

So, you must be friends with him on FB (to remember his posts).

So, you do not know the woman too well , but you are friends with her BF on FB ?

23 minutes ago, Makara said:

It's hardly public.  Most of the news on this is occurring on this board.  Scammers have answers to unanswered questions and raised eyebrows.  How will inquiring minds reply to "we paid the police a bribe to get the matter dropped and our passports back.  thank you soooo much!  love you all!"

6 minutes ago, Ron19 said:

This news is copied from some other news which is based on Facebook and Gofundme and some of the facts are even just wrong (or at least differ from what they wrote on Facebook)

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Makara said:

How is the weather in Nigeria?

What type of razor do you use?

4 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

What is that meant to be telling us?

A photo from their Facebook and some info from their gofundme. 

Two American women have been arrested and are being held in Thailand after allegedly trying to exchange fake US dollars.

• Confused 1

So I am saying goodnight now. I see most of you don't care to listen and just really, really, really, want this to be a scam (for some reason). I am seeing that you aren't understanding how close everyone in the North West's (United States) ties are. I see you think it is absolutely absurd to start a gofundme page where friends, family, friends of friends, strangers who care would want to help an intense situation. I came here to give a different perspective and to put in plain view they could not get away with this being a scam AT ALL here. Like not even for a second. Especially with it being beyond public knowledge what is happening. I have concerns and questions, but it looks like to me you aren't or wouldn't be willing to listen and have a decent conversation about them anyway. I hoped to reach some people by assuring you that a scam could not happen like this, not with this kind of caliber. I could have been a bridge, but it looks as though you don't want a bridge. Came to test that out and it seems none of what I have said matters to most. Most will hear what they want to hear, and I hope if anything this whole "scam" thing (that most are so sure about) will get vindication soon enough. 

• Sad 1