Arsenal

MiG16

The press has us written off for the title if we lose at the Bridge today. I disagree - today is the last day when we play a game that we would have a reasonable expectation of losing. All the rest are rather winnable.

The press has us written off for the title if we lose at the Bridge today. I disagree - today is the last day when we play a game that we would have a reasonable expectation of losing. All the rest are rather winnable.

I think any club currently in the top 4 has a shot. Nobody has been head and shoulders above anybody else so far. Everybody has a shot at dropping points unexpectedly. Should be a nail biting finish.clap2.gif

• Like 1

I think Man City (H) and Everton (A) are serious banana skins.

And without Ramsey, Ozil, Walcott and Wilshere, and with Rosicky facing a late fitness test, I fear we'll be lucky to get out of this game with anything.

And without Ramsey, Ozil, Walcott and Wilshere, and with Rosicky facing a late fitness test, I fear we'll be lucky to get out of this game with anything.

Agree Chic.

I don't think a loss would necessarily be fatal for Arsenal's title chance.

Mourhino's unbeaten record at SB can not go on forever, so tbh, I am worried.

I don't know what the situation is with Ozil (?) but good chance Rosicky will be OK.

Might be one of those games where the 2 goalies shine.

I think we'll see a few goals mind.

thumbsup.gif

Another big test for the BFG and the K-man. With some luck a draw.

I fear The Ox.

Would love to see Ozil play today... for the pleasure, not the result.thumbsup.gif

Ozil will not be playing. Last official word was prior to Sunday's WHL encounter (14-Mar) when Arsene said "I don't know for how long exactly he will be out but it looks a minimum of three weeks, maximum six".

At the start of the season it looked like we were over-stuffed with first team midfielders. Now 6 of them are injured (if you count Diaby and Rosicky into that number), so we are down to the last 5 (Cazorla, Arteta, Flam, Ox and potentially Kallistrom though I have heard nothing about the latter's readiness. Not to worry - Sagna can play any position bar goalie and Zellalem is almost ready to step up to the plate.

Ramsey looks like the only one capable of returning to duty this month along with Rosicky, so Kallistrom is going to be needed in all probablity.

I'm sticking with my call that we lose today, draw at Everton and beat Citeh at home (or maybe vice versa for the last two) - we have reasonably good form at Goodison and at home to the ABFs (@arsa-bout-facers) and neither of these two are flying that much higher than recent seasons on current form.

I expect us to drop minimal other points, so it will be down to whether one of the other three can put up a run-in with only say 5 points dropped. IMO chances of that happening for one are quite high. Who, I would only be guessing. Future Injuries are likely to still play a big part.

For once, I don't seem to be the pessimist in the Arsenal ranks - that's a bad signrolleyes.gif

Chelsea
  • 01 Cech
  • 02 Ivanovic
  • 28 Azpilicueta
  • 21 Matic
  • 24 Cahill
  • 26 Terry
  • 14 Schürrle
  • 04 David Luiz
  • 29 Eto'o
  • 11 Oscar
  • 17 Hazard

Substitutes
  • 08 Lampard
  • 09 Torres
  • 12 Mikel
  • 15 Salah
  • 19 Ba
  • 23 Schwarzer
  • 33 Kalas

Arsenal
  • 01 Szczesny
  • 03 Sagna
  • 28 Gibbs
  • 15 Oxlade-Chamberlain
  • 04 Mertesacker
  • 06 Koscielny
  • 07 Rosicky
  • 08 Arteta
  • 12 Giroud
  • 19 Cazorla
  • 09 Podolski

Substitutes
  • 05 Vermaelen
  • 20 Flamini
  • 21 Fabianski
  • 22 Sanogo
  • 25 Jenkinson
  • 29 Källström
  • 44 Gnabry

OK you may call me the master of understatement.

Master stroke by Mourinho - put on 4 centre halves and pretend you are showing respect, then WHAM.

Liverpool and Citeh must be pleased at the Eto hamstring. I'm past caring.

Dunno why anyone was sent off. Deliberate hand ball in the penalty area is a yellow card and a penalty. The ball was going wide so it was not denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity. Am I missing something or do we have another reason why the game so desperately needs penalty goal awards to avoid the early destruction of matches yet again?

• Like 2

Well done to Chelsea.

I see the referee that Sky brought in says it was a definite sending off because he "attempted to deny a goal scoring opportunity". B*ll $h*t! Read the rules refereeing pundit*. And if that is the Referees Association official guidance on what the rules mean then FIFA really do need to get hold of this wretched area of the game.

Of course we would not have won anyway having been out-psyched and having played lamentably, but there might have been a game worth watching for the remaining 75 minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------

* The Rules extracted

"A player ... is sent off if he commits any of the following seven offences:

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball
  • ..."

Where does it say "attempting", muppet?

It occurs to me that Wenger should try and avoid playing away in the early Saturday game.

Seems to me it always ends up with a spanking and a red card.

whistling.gif

There is a tactical theme in those early away kick-offs also, done up like a kipper by Jose today mate.

It occurs to me that Wenger should try and avoid playing away in the early Saturday game.

whistling.gif

Or maybe even realise that playing a high defensive line against top counter-attacking teams is suicidal. Especially when their centre back has the turning circle of an oil tankersmile.png. 1,000 games and Arse's tactics still look naive in the extreme when they are away to the bigger clubs.sad.png

• Like 2

whistling.gif

Chic, joking aside a couple of footballers have told me that early k/o's are generally not liked by the players,especially if your away from home.

whistling.gif

Chic, joking aside a couple of footballers have told me that early k/o's are generally not liked by the players,especially if your away from home.

It's an arduous task for Arsenal to travel all the way across London. biggrin.png

• Like 2

Well done to Chelsea.

I see the referee that Sky brought in says it was a definite sending off because he "attempted to deny a goal scoring opportunity". B*ll $h*t! Read the rules refereeing pundit*. And if that is the Referees Association official guidance on what the rules mean then FIFA really do need to get hold of this wretched area of the game.

Of course we would not have won anyway having been out-psyched and having played lamentably, but there might have been a game worth watching for the remaining 75 minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------

* The Rules extracted

"A player ... is sent off if he commits any of the following seven offences:

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball
  • ..."

Where does it say "attempting", muppet?

Problem is a question of angles Santi and what the ref actually saw.....in this case not a lot it appears, so the linesman comes into play. The ball was struck hard and from the line it is difficult to know if it wasn't goal bound, certainly Ox's flying leap at it suggested it could have been.

All in all a silly episode.

Regarding mistaken identity, I'm not sure Arsenal would sooner lose Ox than Gibbs in the run in, so the FA might need to be pro active with this one.

Clubs can appeal mistaken identity to The @FA, although The @FA can pro-actively review also.

Edited by uptheos