Arsenal

MiG16

2 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

My brother got me the new City shirt from the City shop and a mate of mine brought it to Saudi. I ripped all the tags off and put it on for the match, it was like a dress. I messaged my brother and asked him why he got me an XL and he said he thought I'd put some timber on. Cheeky git, now I have to go and try to swap it when I'm over in the UK next week.

Are you saying there's some free chips on offer then? :rolleyes:

A decent enough performance from what was primarily a second string team.

I wonder if that's the first side to put out three players with double-barreled names since Eton in the 1800s?

Perez nicked a couple of goals, one from the spot, Xhaka another thunderbolt and a tidy goal from Oxtail-Chamberpot near the end after some neat build up play.

I was expecting a tougher fight with all those youngsters out there, but they looked very composed.

12 minutes ago, Chicog said:

A decent enough performance from what was primarily a second string team.

I wonder if that's the first side to put out three players with double-barreled names since Eton in the 1800s?

Perez nicked a couple of goals, one from the spot, Xhaka another thunderbolt and a tidy goal from Oxtail-Chamberpot near the end after some neat build up play.

I was expecting a tougher fight with all those youngsters out there, but they looked very composed.

Men against boys really - and further evidence of the gulf between Premier league squads and average Championship sides.

Only pluses for me were Bendtner's run out and the fact that Assambalonga will soon be back in the forward line.

Next reserves match (EFL Cup) - home to Reading. Week commencing 24th October.

I guess that battling instincts will prevent the two Mancs from fielding a lot of their respective second strings as the (appropriately mundanely named) competition sees then pitched together again.

I referred to it as the reserves team game above, but having now clocked the goals I doubt that Xhaka and Perez will languish there for much longer.

Arsenal rarely score from outside the box. Two exceptional 20+ yard strikes from Xhaka in 2 consecutive games. Not just a "pretty face" (my wife says). Bring him on!

Edited by SantiSuk

I actually I have a lot of time for Wenger and he should acknowledged for his achievements. This shows his lasting power. Only Martin oNiell and Gerry Francis are still in the management game.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/21/arsene-wenger-arsenal-1966-premier-league-rivals-where-are-they-now

Liked the two recent Xhaka goals from outside the box. All too often Arsenal seem to try and pass it into the goal and score that perfect goal but the attack eventually gets broken down and stifled. Long range shots may be somewhat speculative in nature but you have a chance of a deflection or the goalkeeper parrying it into the path of an oncoming attacker etc. Perez also showed a lot of grit to shrug off the shoulder charges and hold onto the ball for his last goal.

I was particularly impressed with the way Xhaka slotted in seamlessly when Le Coq went off.  I can't see Cazorla playing every game this season and I think that those two could be a formidable partnership.

And we still have Mo to fall back on. Wenger gave him the weekend off, which I assume means he's guaranteed a place in Wednesday's game against his old club.

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Only saw the first 45 Sunday but best I've seen of Arsenal for quite a while. Hoping we don't meet for a while.

Bellerin in a City shirt, can see it now.

Yes, despite spending fortunes on your crappy academy you're incapable of doing anything but buying other clubs' players.

:post-4641-1156694572:

Actually it's quite said that you can't do jack without blowing masses of money on players and managers.

400 million in the last five years. **

Pathetic.

** That doesn't include managers by the way.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Chicog

10 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Actually it's quite said that you can't do jack without blowing masses of money on players and managers.

400 million in the last five years. **

Pathetic.

And your mob have spent circa 300 million and got jack to show for it

It's a shame a club like Arsenal only ever have St Totteringham's day to cheer about

Now that's pathetic :rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

It's a shame a club like Arsenal only ever have St Totteringham's day to cheer about

200 million Mr Bo. 

Your Arab playboy throws it about more than you think, but what does it matter, it's not his money is it?

31 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Talk like that is not going to help you next weekend you soapy old bugger....I was going to be magnanimous in victory but now I think I'll just give you the E/S treatment instead. :post-4641-1156693976:

Just now, Chicog said:

200 million Mr Bo. 

Your Arab playboy throws it about more than you think, but what does it matter, it's not his money is it?

According to this it's 300 Chic 

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokie36 said:

Talk like that is not going to help you next weekend you soapy old bugger....I was going to be magnanimous in victory but now I think I'll just give you the E/S treatment instead. :post-4641-1156693976:

I think you mis-read my post matey. Or Intent Vs Impact wasn't thought out. For clarity, it was a dig at Arsenal not Spurs :sorry:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I think you mis-read my post matey. Or Intent Vs Impact wasn't thought out. For clarity, it was a dig at Arsenal not Spurs :sorry:

OK...I am just a bit sensitive on Mondays. :post-4641-1156694572:

Luckily I managed to escape from Colditz early and now supping a pint of Tradewinds! :clap2:

Up le Arse!!

1 minute ago, smokie36 said:

Luckily I managed to escape from Colditz early and now supping a pint of Tradewinds! :clap2:

Up le Arse!!

I landed in the UK yesterday, so had a belly full of the real stuff last night followed by oodles and oodles of bacon and sausages at breakfast. Loverley jubberley

• Like 1

I may have difficulty seeing which players play for which team from time to time (elsewhere accused West Ham of employing an irritating little c called Redmond), but can read financial tables.

Nice try Mr Bo - eliding between gross spend and nett spend to try to prove Man City spend over 5 years was 400m and Arsenal's 300m.

Net spend (the most appropriate stat I think) says on a per season basis over 5 years:

Manchester City     £80.5m

Manchester United     £78.5m

Chelsea      £48.9m

Arsenal    £41.2m

We are all knocked into a cocked hat by Spurs anyway - number 19 at £1.1m, so we'd all better shut up or Smokie will be all over us:rolleyes:

Edited by SantiSuk

14 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

I may have difficulty seeing which players play for which team from time to time (elsewhere accused West Ham of employing an irritating little c called Redmond), but can read financial tables.

Nice try Mr Bo - eliding between gross spend and nett spend to try to prove Man City spend over 5 years was 400m and Arsenal's 300m.

Net spend (the most appropriate stat I think) says on a per season basis over 5 years:

Manchester City     £80.5m

Manchester United     £78.5m

Chelsea      £48.9m

Arsenal    £41.2m

We are all knocked into a cocked hat by Spurs anyway - number 19 at £1.1m, so we'd all better shut up or Smokie will be all over us:rolleyes:

Or of course i will.  Atleast you mention it rather than ignore what is a very impressive statistic.  One mention of net spend and they all start to waffle cough splutter....

Next we could talk about the ludicrous and obscene wages you all  pay your players.  

• Like 1