Girlfriend very keen to register me at her family home

Hi all,

Just a quick question about my concern as to why my gf is all of a sudden keen to register me at her family home.

Normally she won't even make a phone call to ask a question, but here she is making undisclosed calls to local Amphoe to ask if she can register me. She says she can "great news for you" apparently [emoji848]

We've rented a room in Chiang Mai since August 2017 together on a monthly basis

I have a BKK bank account but the UnionPay is useless and no more Visa cards available, so she is saying I can get a new bank account with Visa card (debit) if I am registered at her home address (mum and 2 children live there) . I have been trying recently to get another bank account with Visa or Mastercard and get knocked back even though I have an ED visa (4 x 90 days), letter from school stating that I'm a student here for 12 months, Thai driving licences, BKK bank account and a residency certificate.

Am I right to be suspicious? Or should I lay off SongSam?

What else is involved if I register at her home? That's the BIG question!

When I stay at hotels do I refuse the TM30 registration as I am already registered at her home.

Do I need to inform AIS, my school, Transport Office, BKK bank etc about the change of address?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The registration would be getting a yellow house book based upon her mother's house book. Not that easy to get at many Amphoes.
Having a yellow house book does not the exempt you from the TM30 being done.
No need to change your address unless you want to.
Not sure why your are having problems opening another bank account. Just keep trying at different banks and branches of the same bank. 
Some context....my gf is a good person, but I'm sceptical about 'the long game'.
She lived in a remote town nearly all her life, farming is the family source of income. Wasn't enough $ so she headed to the big smoke in February 2017, met me in July and we have been together faithfully....so my suspicion is from my upbringing (and this forum) rather than her actual actions.

I'm concerned about what the registration means long term?
I will probably leave in Dec 2018 when school finishes to head 'home' for another 5-15 years of work and who knows?
If nothing substantial re the yellow book registration, then I'll go for it to help with the bank account as I have been to 12 bank/branches over the past week and it appears to be about 'work permits' nowadays for ferang in Chiang Mai.

Maybe I should try bank in her local town before going the yellow book registration?

Does the registration give me any benefits ie free local hospital treatment?

54 minutes ago, Rama said:

As a foreigner the banks won't give you a credit card and probably not a debit card. Should be able to get a bank account and ATM card almost anywhere. If you're registered at your gf's place she may be putting her name on the account also and be able to access. I'd be highly suspicious.

It's not always straightforward for foreigners to get a Thai bank credit card but it can be done, I've had one for a couple of years. Everyone who opens a bank account pretty much gets a debit card of some kind.

Edited by simoh1490

3 hours ago, QPRFC said:

I have a BKK bank account but the UnionPay is useless and no more Visa cards available, so she is saying I can get a new bank account with Visa card (debit) if I am registered at her home address (mum and 2 children live there) . I have been trying recently to get another bank account with Visa or Mastercard and get knocked back even though I have an ED visa (4 x 90 days), letter from school stating that I'm a student here for 12 months, Thai driving licences, BKK bank account and a residency certificate.

What kind of account are you trying to open?

You should be asking to open a Savings account.

Although I'm also with Bangkok Bank, I recently open a new Savings account at Kasikorn with no more than my Passport and proof of address. (For a Visa debit card)

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/personal/Account/Pages/savings.aspx

Certificate of residence should be fine for proof of address.

There is limited (but some) upside in being included on a house registration (yellow book). I can see no downside except that it makes you suspicious. The benefit for her is that it makes it easier for you to pay for things. Personally, I would avoid getting a Thai credit card (which is difficult anyway) because it can contribute to improvident expenditure. 

What kind of account are you trying to open?

You should be asking to open a Savings account.
Although I'm also with Bangkok Bank, I recently open a new Savings account at Kasikorn with no more than my Passport and proof of address. (For a Visa debit card)
https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/personal/Account/Pages/savings.aspx
Certificate of residence should be fine for proof of address.
Yes, I'm just trying for a savings account with atm debit card that is either Visa or Mastercard. UnionPay is useless for online purchases.
I'll try a few more banks tomorrow, I've been to 12 or so already and been rejected.
I'm sober, clean clothes etc....Mum would be proud of me [emoji6]
I've done everyone in Kad Suan Kaew and Chang Phueak with my Thai gf. Maybe I'll try the banks in Promenada where I successfully opened my BKK last July using just a TR visa and Passport.

Any other suggestions? Maya? Central Festival? Airport?

Have you asked her?
I did ask her, she said that she is doing it for my bank account purposes.
The house book is in her mum's name even though the house is hers. I asked whether she'd transfer it back into her name and she said that she wouldn't yet, in case we go overseas together in future....so she is thinking long term.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No problem to get a debit card. Most banks issue them when you open an account.

She would not be able to make it a joint account without him knowing it.

Got a savings account with Visa debit card within 2 weeks of being here at Krungsri Bank. Just keep doing the rounds OP. This an old story.

• Like 1

Sounds kind of strange, and being registered at her home wouldn't change anything regarding the opening of a bank account.

Maybe being registered at her home makes it easier to claim that you are the father if she gets pregnant? :P

Go to Krungsri, take your passport and a minimum 6 month rental contract with your name on it. I'm still waiting for a report that somebody was not able to open an account like this.

11 minutes ago, QPRFC said:

The house book is in her mum's name even though the house is hers. I asked whether she'd transfer it back into her name and she said that she wouldn't yet, in case we go overseas together in future....so she is thinking long term.

Doesn’t make any sense. The ‘house book’ has no bearing on ownership. It is simply a register of who lives at property.

1 hour ago, QPRFC said:

Yes, I'm just trying for a savings account with atm debit card that is either Visa or Mastercard. UnionPay is useless for online purchases.
I'll try a few more banks tomorrow, I've been to 12 or so already and been rejected.
I'm sober, clean clothes etc....Mum would be proud of me emoji6.png
I've done everyone in Kad Suan Kaew and Chang Phueak with my Thai gf. Maybe I'll try the banks in Promenada where I successfully opened my BKK last July using just a TR visa and Passport.

Any other suggestions? Maya? Central Festival? Airport?

Try Bangkok banks. 

1 hour ago, QPRFC said:

I did ask her, she said that she is doing it for my bank account purposes.

She's got her plans, I hope that these plans are a sort of similar to your plans. Keep thinking. 

Sounds kind of strange, and being registered at her home wouldn't change anything regarding the opening of a bank account.

Maybe being registered at her home makes it easier to claim that you are the father if she gets pregnant? [emoji14]

Go to Krungsri, take your passport and a minimum 6 month rental contract with your name on it. I'm still waiting for a report that somebody was not able to open an account like this.

I tried all thai banks in bkk last year in dec. also several branched with condo rental contract 1 year, certificte of residence ect.

No one wanted to open savings account inlusive krugsi, krungthi wirhout work permit or own condo.

Only the foreign banks like UOB, CIMB have been able to open wthout work permit or condo.

With UOB i then also open the account with visa debit in jan. 18.

7 hours ago, Rama said:

As a foreigner the banks won't give you a credit card and probably not a debit card. Should be able to get a bank account and ATM card almost anywhere. If you're registered at your gf's place she may be putting her name on the account also and be able to access. I'd be highly suspicious.

Not quite true, I got a credit card with Kasikorn in BKK and it was issued without me having a work permit. It was a hassle to go through the paperwork but the card was issued. Depends on the bank and your credit rating plus the type of card you are after.

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

There is always one name in the Blue house book that is listed as "owner".

They are not listed as 'owner'.

They are listed as 'head of household'.

Everybody else in the book is listed as 'dwellers' or 'tenants'.

Regarding Bangkok Bank and Visa/Unon Pay debit cards.

There is a thread elsewhere on TVF about this. BKK Bank are issuing that useless UP card to a lot of customers.

Do a search in the banking forum on here, you'll find the thread about it in there.

There have been a few posters who have said they've insisted on a Visa card, not a UP card when their old Visa card expired. A lot of the time from what I can remember, off the top of my head, unless pushed, the staff will try and fob you off with the UP card.

It seems quite often it's the individual branch who are either unwilling or not knowledgeable about what is possible.

I'd suggest calling the BKK Bank call centre (I think they're on shortcode 1333?) and ask - or rather insist on a Visa debit card. See what transpires.

As other posters have said, it is absolutely nothing at all to do with where you live/are registered living. Your g/f seems to have some hidden agenda there.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit
  • Sad 1