Swedish tourist seeks Pattaya police help over Bt100,000 gone from bank account

webfact

Aot of posters seem to have trouble with electronic banking,  I wonder if they are the same people who never get a taxi driver to turn his meter on? 

I've never had trouble with either. 

If the Swedish guy hadn't used his Thai sim for a while it the phone number can be reissued to a new user.  Maybe that's where the problem started. 

Only a few days ago my wife's Line account got a new friend auto added with my old phone number.  If you know how auto add works with Line you will understand.  Caused me some grief as it came up with a lady on my ex phone number..... Wife wasn't happy until she understood what was going on. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nausea said:

A bit weird, him not noticing anything for a year, unless it was monopoly money for him. Anyway, I guess it will all come out in the wash; on a very cold trail.

Well he has been working  in his homecountry for a year and discovered the empty account when he got back to thailand. Nothing strange about that. 

Edited by Khonper

On ‎02‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 9:24 AM, Briggsy said:

Assuming the money was actually stolen,

49.95% chance the required information was sourced from a bank employee.

49.95% chance the required information was sourced from Thai partner.

0.1% chance this was another person.

Based on real statistics it should be as follows:

(1) 99% he, his partner, other relatives and/or persons he knows.

(2) 0,9% randomly hacked/scammed and/or conned

(3) 0,1% a bank employee or someone related.

14 hours ago, harrycallahan said:

They published the phone number. 

THEY PUBLISHED THE PHONE NUMBER LOL! 

Does it say what country the number belongs to?. 

If it does, a reverse lookup can be done easily. 

If not...!! 

Our man being back home would be using his own country sim I would have a guess. 

Not the Thai number many of us have here. 

Also, the txt notification would go to the implant phone number as publicly displayed. 

9 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

The article said he went there and they told him to go to the police

The bank is the fraud department in some cases. lol. 

I know that I have to advise ANZ Australia every time I go to Thailand. 

I never withdraw here. 

I online transfer and sadly take a hit on exchange rates each time. 

But just too many private ATM's here, and reports of credit card manufacturers.... 

I call BS. It took a half dozen visits and the branch submitting the application to the head office at least three times before I could get internet banking set up for my BKK bank accounts. 

17 hours ago, samsensam said:

dont the bank have a fraud department? wouldn't this be the first place to make enquiries?

Bank won’t do any action until a complaine filed with police by account holder. Bank will do investigate after police report is in hand. 

16 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

99.7% you're correct.

0.3% you're wrong.

41.30% Both you guys are correct.

31.55% Only one of you is correct, the other is wrong.

20.15% There is a contradiction here, somewhere, I am sure.

7.0% Just to be on the safe side, last answer covers VAT. 

Edited by XGM

30 minutes ago, XGM said:

41.30% Both you guys are correct.

31.55% Only one of you is correct, the other is wrong.

20.15% There is a contradiction here, somewhere, I am sure.

7.0% Just to be on the safe side, last answer covers VAT. 

What seems to be 100% is that you tried to be funny, BUT failed by the same procentage...:coffee1:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fullcave said:

Yes, maybe better not to even open an account then, if you have to monitor the account merely to find out if your money has been stolen! 

The issue is not to open nor to Close the account - an issue will first apply after you have deposit money in the account....:coffee1:

19 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

My USA bank uses secret personal questions that must be answered after logging in.

I assume it is the answers and not the questions that are Secret for how to put them if they were....:whistling:

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:38 AM, mercman24 said:

how would a bank employee know his pin number

Two months ago I entered the wrong pin number at atm, I entered the pin on from my other bank 3 times by mistake. I went into the Bangkok bank and told them. They retrieved my card and said I had entered a 6 digit pin number, my one was only 4, so they new what was wrong. I then realised the mistake, so I believe they can find your pin number at their bank

• Thanks 1

Can foreign "tourists" open a bank account without a Thai who signs as well ?
Of course they can , I have 5 different bank accounts here , with Kasikorn, BKK bank and L&H .
No need to bring your Thai gf unless your completely helpless.

Just bring the required documents.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, balo said:

Of course they can , I have 5 different bank accounts here , with Kasikorn, BKK bank and L&H .
No need to bring your Thai gf unless your completely helpless.

Just bring the required documents.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Or make as Mr. Henrik Christian Koch seems to have done if we take into consideration his previous activities:

http://pattayadailynews.com/swede-attempts-to-bribe-his-way-out-of-massive-drug-bust/

Open an account and make several deposits. Buy a unregistered sim card at 7-11. Go online and replace Your original phone number linked to Your account With the unregistered one. Perform the transactions by using the New unregistered phone number and leave the country alternatively let Your partner perform the transactions after you have left the country. Wait 12 months while you are practising different surprising grimaces in front of a Mirror until you have found the one which looks most convincing . Travel back to Thailand and visit the bank in person. Perform the rehearsed surprise grimace when you are told the account has been emptied 12 months ago, file a polis report, bring the polis report back to the bank, claim the money covered by the bank and hope for a successful outcome of your genious masterplan....:coffee1:

Edited by ttrd
  • Thanks 1

On 02/03/2018 at 9:39 PM, saakura said:

I can understand elderly retirees being conned, but a 49 year old?? There is much more to this story, most probably a thai gf whom he has trusted with his phone & ATM pin. All sorts of documents have to be personally signed for opening internet baking account.  Even then, transfers absolutely cannot be done without access to OTP (One Time Pin) sent to your registered phone. And it will also send a message to your mobile when transfer is effected. Anyway, lucky he got away with losing just 100k. 

Saakura - So if you are elderly that means there is a greater chance of being scammed? - news flash - age has nothing to do with getting scammed. When you get a bit older you might understand being scammed. As the account only had 100,000 deposited that was all they could get - oh wait - older folks cannot read and understand as well as the younger folks.

Saakura - So if you are elderly that means there is a greater chance of being scammed? - news flash - age has nothing to do with getting scammed. When you get a bit older you might understand being scammed. As the account only had 100,000 deposited that was all they could get - oh wait - older folks cannot read and understand as well as the younger folks.

I’m old, and it is my understanding that many scammers target old people.

I doubt very much scammers target old people because they are so sharp.

Most are sharp, but many are not, and most have some savings. Scammers only need one out of a thousand to bite.

On 04/03/2018 at 6:48 AM, Jingjock said:

Two months ago I entered the wrong pin number at atm, I entered the pin on from my other bank 3 times by mistake. I went into the Bangkok bank and told them. They retrieved my card and said I had entered a 6 digit pin number, my one was only 4, so they new what was wrong. I then realised the mistake, so I believe they can find your pin number at their bank

Yes. 

Partner did the same thing or had three wrong attempts. 

Kasikorn staff took her outside to the atm and corrected it on the atm machine.. 

Scary what they can access with the little plastic card they have. And not just the tea room. 

On 3/3/2018 at 4:05 AM, RichardColeman said:

Huh ? Money taken out in March 2017 (a year ago) and he only noticed when he came here ? Call my cynical but, I tend to check my money accounts more than once a year. 

How? He had not registered for internet banking - and Thai banks do not send out statements by post to foreign addresses. I check my balance online but only because it ia an active account. Back in the day I used to leave THB100k plus in a Thai Danu account to be used as 'mad money' when I came to Thailand on hols.

• Like 1