Government’s rating increases while PM’s popularity drops: Bangkok Poll

rooster59

Government’s rating increases while PM’s popularity drops: Bangkok Poll

prayut0261.jpg

More people are satisfied with the government’s performance in the past three and a half years, but they are less satisfied with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha’s performance, according to Bangkok Poll.

The poll shows that out of a score of ten, government’s performance scored 5.64 points compared to 5.27 registered in the last survey, with performance in foreign affairs being most rated followed by achievements in social and quality of life aspects.

Satisfaction for the prime minister received 6.32 out of a score of 10 compared to 7 surveyed six months ago.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/governments-rating-increases-pms-popularity-drops-bangkok-poll/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-03-04

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Satisfaction for the prime minister received 6.32 out of a score of 10 compared to 7 surveyed six months ago.

Prayut, to the 'People': Love me or hate me, I'm the multi-coloured devil - signal red, today, but don't take that PTPiterally - and I'm coming to get you.     Prayut, to his aide, Botti Wipah: How was I? Was I transparent enough? This crazy bird seems to think I'm the best thing since sliced bread. Tell her to let go of my arm, will you . . . I can't stand that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

As always, Thai polls need to be taken with a grain of salt... but, I suspect that slowly falling numbers for the Junta/Prayut is an accurate assessment.

The only polling in Thailand is push polling. There's no respect at all for uncovering an objective truth, whatever it may be. The polling agencies start with the result they want and then work from there. In this case, it simply reflects that big P is losing support in some elite circles (but not undemocratic governance, of course).

I would argue that people tolerated the continuation of the Junta until such a time as the Funeral had taken place; it was one of the most important cultural events in modern Thai history. Once the funeral had occurred, the justification for the Junta to continue was lost.

I would argue that there never was any justification for the power seizure. They did it because they wanted to and because they could, and many, many people have been fuming about it for four years but have been too afraid to do anything. The fascist elite has successfully linked support of democracy with anti-monarchism and anti-monarchism with abuse, assault, and lengthy imprisonment.

Looking at the current political situation in Thailand, I would say that the Junta/Prayut's popularity will only go in one direction, down

I would say that they were never popular but am afraid that they have extended their tentacles deeply enough into Thai society and power relations over four years to not have to worry about popularity anymore.

Thailand has been voting on a government for a few generations now (yes, not always fairly or legitimately, but...) and Thai people expect that to resume.

Do they? Or have they given up?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

If this poll was taken solely of Bangkok natives, then I can believe it (the Bangkok 'elite' might more accurately be described as Bangkok fascists);

I kind of think if it was more widespread, then they would be shipping coach loads of supporters of the junta to the area to answer the questionnaire first 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

With respect, one has to be sceptical about foreigners speaking on behalf of Thais from all walks of life.A harsh truth is that many pundits on this forum are almost by definition unlikely to have the kind of exposure that would make such a claim credible.As it happens I disagree that Prayuth is held in contempt by the majority of Thais.It's true the Junta's popularity may be slipping but it's easy to get too caught up in the narrative being relayed in the English language press.The elite remains very much in control and the urban middle class stays broadly loyal.Of course something unexpected could throw this off course - but it seems to me that opponents of the regime are getting a little too excited on the basis of too little evidence.

There's a lot of truth to what you say but I nevertheless feel you underestimate the general mood amongst the poor.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

There's a lot of truth to what you say [about the Thai middle class largely accepting the junta] but I nevertheless feel you underestimate the general mood amongst the poor.

My impression is that the poor(er) Thais don't at all like Prayut and his junta - but are for the most part not (yet) willing to risk life and limb to oppose it. 

I was talking this morning to a 38-year-old Isaan driver who said that he dislikes this military government and most of his friends in Isaan do, but that they can do nothing because if they stand up to fight, the military will just shoot them.

I have heard this time and time again from Thai opponents of the junta/ militarists: they strongly dislike the militarist regime, but are scared of getting slaughtered if they oppose it openly on the streets.. This is totally understandable - but the English (and others), of course, could have adopted the same attitude towards fascism in World War II and not fought; they could have accepted all that fascism wanted to impose  - for fear of otherwise being shot. Not that I am equating the current Thai regime with what arose in WWII.

Perhaps there comes a time, however, in every nation's history when the people have to decide whether being subjected to autocratic rule (with no discernible end in sight) is acceptable (for them and their children and children's children), or whether a point is finally reached where enough is enough and an all-out opposition has to be mounted in the millions (at the real risk of masses of casualites) ...

It is for the Thais to decide. It is a dreadful situation that they are in. I really pity their plight. I don't see them making that second, radical choice (as yet).  But we should always remember the inspiring words of (amazingly!) the militarists' own Constitution: 

'Sovereignty belongs to the Thai people'.

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Eligius said:

My impression is that the poor(er) Thais don't at all like Prayut and his junta - but are for the most part not (yet) willing to risk life and limb to oppose it. 

I was talking this morning to a 38-year-old Isaan driver who said that he dislikes this military government and most of his friends in Isaan do, but that they can do nothing because if they stand up to fight, the military will just shoot them.

I have heard this time and time again from Thai opponents of the junta/ militarists: they strongly dislike the militarist regime, but are scared of getting slaughtered if they oppose it openly on the streets.. This is totally understandable - but the English (and others), of course, could have adopted the same attitude towards fascism in World War II and not fought; they could have accepted all that fascism wanted to impose  - for fear of otherwise being shot. 

Perhaps there comes a time in every nation's history when the people have to decide whether being subjected to a tyranny (with no discernible end in sight) is acceptable (for them and their children and children's children), or whether a point is finally reached where enough is enough and an all-out opposition has to be mounted in the millions (at the real risk of masses of casualites) ...

It is for the Thais to decide. It is a dreadful situation that they are in. I really pity their plight. I don't see them making that second, radical choice (as yet).  But we should always remember the inspiring words of (amazingly!) the militarists' own Constitution: 

There is a paradox. He who must be obeyed has brought stability and relative peace to the country, but, predictably, the poor are paying.  I think the populace is confused as to what to do.  I don't think anybody wants another round of strife, but inevitably they will not live with a falling standard of living.  When ministers are clearly caught in corrupt activities and appear immune from the normal consequences, then people react angrily, so that could be a problem over coming months.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

There's a lot of truth to what you say but I nevertheless feel you underestimate the general mood amongst the poor.

20 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I have heard this time and time again from Thai opponents of the junta/ militarists: they strongly dislike the militarist regime, but are scared of getting slaughtered if they oppose it openly on the streets.. This is totally understandable - but the English (and others), of course, could have adopted the same attitude towards fascism in World War II and not fought; they could have accepted all that fascism wanted to impose  - for fear of otherwise being shot. 

Perhaps there comes a time in every nation's history when the people have to decide whether being subjected to a tyranny (with no discernible end in sight) is acceptable (for them and their children and children's children), or whether a point is finally reached where enough is enough and an all-out opposition has to be mounted in the millions (at the real risk of masses of casualites) ...

Thais have of course come out and risked their lives in the past.However the poor have never been in the vanguard of the democracy movement which has been almost entirely middle class.Since the 1970's Thailand has become greatly more prosperous and I am not sure the poor (now a much smaller section of society) are the political force of previous days.The students great days are behind them.It's also worth pointing out that even now Thailand is not by any description a fascist state and there is lively political debate even if subterranean now.The ruling elite is split and the press is fairly free.Above all social media is very lively.Thailand is not unfree - just partly so and not much different from many other countries in the region.The deference culture is weaker but still exists and will not expire easily.I suspect going forward we will continue to see an authoritarian series of governments but maybe more focused on the needs of the majority.In some ways perhaps like a benign version of the China pact whereby an elite (ok a trillion times smarter than the grisly mob here) retains power in return for guaranteeing progress/prosperity to the majority.Same old Sino Thai tycoons will rule the business roost.Rice farming will continue to decline.Isaan will get much richer.More migration and mixing up.Nobody will get killed.Shawn Crispin will continue to write crap.The world will continue to be indifferent.

Edited by jayboy
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Thais have of course come out and risked their lives in the past.However the poor have never been in the vanguard of the democracy movement which has been almost entirely middle class.Since the 1970's Thailand has become greatly more prosperous and I am not sure the poor (now a much smaller section of society) are the political force of previous days.The students great days are behind them.It's also worth pointing out that even now Thailand is not by any description a fascist state and there is lively political debate even if subterranean now.The ruling elite is split and the press is fairly free.Above all social media is very lively.Thailand is not unfree - just partly so and not much different from many other countries in the region.The deference culture is weaker but still exists and will not expire easily.I suspect going forward we will continue to see an authoritarian series of governments but maybe more focused on the needs of the majority.In some ways perhaps like a benign version of the China pact whereby an elite (ok a trillion times smarter than the grisly mob here) retains power in return for guaranteeing progress/prosperity to the majority.Same old Sino Thai tycoons will rule the business roost.Rice farming will continue to decline.Isaan will get much richer.More migration and mixing up.Nobody will get killed.Shawn Crispin will continue to write crap.The world will continue to be indifferent.

Increasing wealth is rather a vague concept, which may in part be true, but the problem throughout the world is cash in the poor man's pocket.  I honestly think most politicians of all nations ignore this rather fundamental problem.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Try telling that to students and others who are dragged off to be 'attitude adjusted' for daring to express views they should have every right to express. Try telling that to academics who have had to flee their native land of Thailand because they dared to express a contrary viewpoint to that of the junta.

Also, you cannot sensibly speak of Thailand's being 'partly unfree': political freedom is indivisible - you either have it, or you don't.

Current Thailand does NOT have political freedom and basic civil rights in any meaningful sense. That is pretty  blatant, I should have thought  - and every major international Human Rights organisation in the world would likely confirm and condemn that lack of political freedom under which the Thais are currently suffering.

Whilst I agree, freedom is a slightly more nuanced concept out here.  My impression is that Thais are quite sanguine about rights we take for granted, but will chafe under conditions of relative poverty the same as the rest of us.  It's really the extent to which their lives become less enjoyable.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Whilst I agree, freedom is a slightly more nuanced concept out here.  My impression is that Thais are quite sanguine about rights we take for granted, but will chafe under conditions of relative poverty the same as the rest of us.  It's really the extent to which their lives become less enjoyable.

Very good point. And we have to remember that in 2010 it was largely the poor(er) Thais who came to Bangkok to stand up (and indeed lost their lives - to the number of 90+) to the Thai faux-elite. Resistance to non-freedom is not merely a middle-class phenomenon (although it can be that too - witness student opposition in Thailand's political history): it concerns a much broader swathe of the Thai population.