State tobacco to suffer first time loss in history

webfact

State tobacco to suffer first time loss in history

By Thai PBS

cigarette.jpg

Thailand Tobacco Monopoly (TTM) says it is expected to suffer it’s first time loss in history of a tremendous amount of 5 billion baht this year from the government’s recent excise tax increase.

TTM managing director Daonoi Suthinipaphan said the expected huge loss stemmed from the new excise tax law which became effective on September 16 last year.

She said the new excise tax resulted in higher retail prices of cigarettes produced by TTM by 3-20 baht per pack.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/state-tobacco-suffer-first-time-loss-history/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-03-05
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, webfact said:

She said the new excise tax resulted in higher retail prices of cigarettes produced by TTM by 3-20 baht per pack.

She also failed to thank the government for the excise tax increase, on its massive health as well as revenue benefits. Such a one-track mind that I'm sure will be happy again, once TTM have cleared a bit of dead wood from the marketing department.

• Like 1

missed out on plenty of revenue from me since i got my e-cig 2 years ago. can hardly even smoke now. although i do if on a night out. the house and clothes don't stink, they give me a sore throat and i think my lungs are a bit better for it too. also saved lots of money. so the tobacco boys can go do one with their profits as far as i'm concerned. 555

• Like 1

If TTM would like to make some money, the legalize and tax smoke alternatives and distribute them through TTM.   I have not bought a pack of cigarettes here since ages. Switched to Iqos and feel much better for it. Those sticks are much more expensive than cigarettes.

Edited by StefanBBK
  • Like 1

Most of the Thais in my village buy loose tobacco and roll their own. Only 5 baht a packet with the equivalent of 20 to 25 cigs.  That's a huge reduction in profit for TTM.

Also many who do have packets seem to be smoking "imported" brands. I suspect trade in illegal cigs is growing quite fast.  Happens in the UK, so why not Thailand !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Ciggies went from 60 baht to 100 in last 2 years or so...marlboro from 80 to 120...that's much more than 2%

When I arrived here in 2005 Wonder were 38B , now 90.  Good job I live near the northern border , cigs my wife brings back are 15B and better than Thai ones. Which I enjoy in my garden , not indoors nor where folk are eating.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, johncat1 said:

The name State Tobacco infers is is owned or controlled by the government. If so it is the government's fault for a falling demand for cigarettes. The government prohibits advertising of tobacco products and even hides them from display in 7-11 shops.   How do they expect people to buy the product if it is never advertised or displayed ?  Cigarette smoking by Actors is blurred out  which is very childish,

Although I am a non smoker I believe in freedom of choice 

A package of rolling tobacco costs 10 baht iirc...it makes 60 cigarettes i guess.

And on the markets i see tobacco for sale, 60 baht a kg....

So it's not strange the Thai stopped smoking these expensive cigarettes which are not even the same quality as the ones from overseas.

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Better be careful, they will be out in force at the airports extorting smokers arriving from the Middle East with sleeves of 200 smokes.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch. 

200 is legal, those arabs can bring unlimited cigarettes to their homecountry, on dubai airport you can see them with 10 huge bags full out of the taxfree shop.

The law is 200 cigarettes, doesn't say anything about the size of them...why don't they make/sell bigger cigarettes?

Also i bet that King Power is doing very good business since they increased the tax on ciggies. You can even buy there when you arrive on a Thai airport and bring them into the country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johncat1 said:

The name State Tobacco infers is is owned or controlled by the government. If so it is the government's fault for a falling demand for cigarettes. The government prohibits advertising of tobacco products and even hides them from display in 7-11 shops.   How do they expect people to buy the product if it is never advertised or displayed ?  Cigarette smoking by Actors is blurred out  which is very childish,

Although I am a non smoker I believe in freedom of choice 

Wise words, rarely spoken. All over the world, governments can't make up their minds: They invest massively in anti-smoke campaigns, outlaw advertising and do whatever they can to keep their citizens from smoking, yet it is a 100% legal product, and most countries subsidise their tobacco farmers, and sometimes the entire tobacco industry (if they have one). This is just crazy...

• Like 1

They should sell of the land where there head quarters is, must be worth more than the British embassy by far and very under utilized! Nice area to go for a walk in Bangkok.

Alternatively they should ban the sale of imported cigarettes - again, remember the early days? they weren't called a monopoly for nothing, no imports allowed, until they were eventually forced into letting competition into the country, be good to see the guys with the couple of packs of Marlboro wandering the streets selling contraband again!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thian said:

Ciggies went from 60 baht to 100 in last 2 years or so...marlboro from 80 to 120...that's much more than 2%

Some went down. I have absolutely no idea what happened. Camel, Winston made in the Philippines now Bt60.  Camel I think were Bt90/95. SMS etc went up. Something went on that we're not being told and I think this loss may just be on paper with the fat cats at TTM pocketing heaps. 

Just a thought.:stoner:

9 hours ago, transam said:

I can think of many "vile" habits but having a ciggy in my garden isn't one of them...:stoner:

Glad I don't have to suffer you as aneighbour... or my kids... Smoking around children is a form of abuse.  Please smoke in your house with windows closed!