looking for a bank in bangkok to open account . They all refuse.

5 minutes ago, buick said:

try bangkok bank, silom branch, emporium branch or siam paragon branch.  it isn't easy to open an account, you can't just pick a branch of your choosing and expect to walk away with a new account.  you have to know which bank and which branch.  plus knowing what account to open (savings) plus getting the documents they require.  then it is much easier. 

Thanks, i'm aware of this ;)

My post was more directed at people like balo and Tanoshi, who said that it's easy to open a bank account at Kasikorn without a work permit.

• Like 1

The issue of many banks/staff stating you need work permit goes back over a decade, reality is with right attitude and persistence you will open an account here with no more than a passport and copy of it, second document copy such as thai driving licence, marriage cert, proof of residence, condo property docs, rental docs etc can help fill a gap in requests .

Quite simply it has to be possible or you be pretty much stuffed buying a condo here or using some options of extension without an account and unemployed or retired .

As I said before ignore what people say are the rules as rules here are for guidance of the wise and blind obedience of fools, the rules change depending on the staffs interpretation of rules and how well you mitigate the request, same with immigration, every office different rules, every border do something different .

Due diligence and persistence and you could open a bank account with every bank if you keep trying and perfect your approach .

Have I been refused, yes . Have I heard you need work permit, yes (many times).

I don't work and I have bank accounts bangkok and Kasikorn with nothing more than a passport and opening fee/deposit, kasikorn setup with online banking, virtual credit card, registered saved account contacts for easy transfers omline while abroad etc, persistence is all that is required ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

This is most probably for the case that the person has an old National ID card which does not have the smart card capabilities.

So, your interpretation is that bank accounts can now only be opened by Thai nationals? I think you are wrong.

58 minutes ago, BritTim said:

So, your interpretation is that bank accounts can now only be opened by Thai nationals? I think you are wrong.

No, i just think what i wrote before: These are the requirements for Thais, not for foreigners.

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

You still seem to have no clue.

Its ok, just walk into any bank anywhere and talk to anybody. 

Easy peasy....

good luck.

It's what I've always done.

You appear to be building your own brick walls and putting obstacles in place.

What are you using for proof of your address?

UOB and Thanachart. If they claim they don't do it or won't do it, call the 4 digit call center of the respective bank and ask to speak to someone about opening an account. Explain your situ. Very likely (as in my case) they will ask to speak to the bank officer serving you. After the bank officer should help you open the account. Hope that helps. If either of these 2 banks give you the runaround call BS and ask to speak to someone higher up. 

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

Thanks, i'm aware of this ;)

My post was more directed at people like balo and Tanoshi, who said that it's easy to open a bank account at Kasikorn without a work permit.

I can only speak from my own experience Jack.

Had accounts with BKK in Bangkok, Amnat Chareon and Roi Et before.

As already stated,3 weeks ago I helped another expat (reporting same experience as you) open accounts at BKK and Kasikorn.

Even opened a new account for myself at KK.

Never asked if we had WP's or what our Immigration status was.

Only stipulation was Passport and either a Tabien Baan or Thai persons TB and ID card.

I had passport and TB, extension based on retirement.

Friend had Passport, copy of landlords TB and ID card, Tourist Visa.

Sorry you and others are experiencing difficulties, however their are thousands who have successfully opened accounts without any issues, even very recently. Something is missing from these reports of not being able to open an account.

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Something is missing from these reports of not being able to open an account.

There is nothing missing. The reason that people here have problems opening an account is simply that there are many people working at the banks who are 100% sure that a foreigner needs to have a work permit to open an account with them (I don't know where they learn that, maybe it's taught to them when they study?). The person who answered my question on Facebook is also 100% sure that it's not possible without work permit.

Edited by jackdd

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The person who answered my question on Facebook is also 100% sure that it's not possible without work permit.

That may have been his experience, but he does not represent the masses that have opened accounts recently.

Did you take photocopies of their websites requirements?

Did you request a type of account where a work permit is required?

What were you using as proof of address?

What method of introduction did you use?

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

That may have been his experience, but he does not represent the masses that have opened accounts recently.

Did you look at the screenshot? I did ask Kasikorn, and the guy who works for Kasikorn and answered my question is 100% sure that a foreigner can not open a bank account without a work permit at their bank

And people with the same opinion work in the branches.

Edited by jackdd

11 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Did you look at the screenshot? I did ask Kasikorn, and the guy who works for Kasikorn and answered my question is 100% sure that a foreigner can not open a bank account without a work permit at their bank

And people with the same opinion work in the branches.

Look at my screenshot. I'm not a liar.

Scan_20180307_LI.jpg

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Look at my screenshot. I'm not a liar.

I know, i never said that it's not possible to open a bank account without a work permit. I just tried to explain why many people have problems opening an account

^

What Kasikorn told you in your online chat is nonsense, same as the nonsense get told at airports about 180day rule and all the different rules at individual immigration offices when dealing with things, total nonsense as they clueless to facts and even if it was fact it will not be fact at every branch so keep trying lol .

I opened Kasikorn with just a copy of passport although ideally want additional document such as thai drivers licence, proof of residence, marriage cert, wifes housebook if you in it etc etc, you DO NOT NEED a work permit .

Had same said back in 2003 when I first opened a bank account, sure it little harder current times but I done my last one end of january at kasikorn in bkk and only tried 1 siam commercial and 3 kasikorn branches to do it, only 1 kasikorn branch said work permit only, second kasikorn wanted another doc which I could of supplied next day but little persistence wrapped it up same day hour later at another branch passport only and a smile, they even done passport copy and didn't try upsell me on the atm card yearly fee .

Kasikorn quite nice bank be with, plenty atm/deposit machines, online banking tidy, setup virtual debit card easily and also added account contact for transfer in branch easily via forms and helpful staff so can do transfers to known contacts out of thailand online, the banking android app good too . pleased with account and services so far .

Edited by BuckBee

11 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

^

What Kasikorn told you in your online chat is nonsense, same as the nonsense get told at airports about 180day rule and all the different rules at individual immigration offices when dealing with things, total nonsense as they clueless to facts and even if it was fact it will not be fact at every branch so keep trying lol .

I opened Kasikorn with just a copy of passport although ideally want additional document such as thai drivers licence, proof of residence, marriage cert, wifes housebook if you in it etc etc, you DO NOT NEEDa work permit .

Had same said back in 2003 when I first opened a bank account, sure it little harder current times but I done my last one end of january at kasikorn in bkk and only tried 1 siam commercial and 3 kasikorn branches to do it, only 1 kasikorn branch said work permit only, second kasikorn wanted another doc which I could of supplied next day but little persistence wrapped it up same day hour later at another branch passport only and a smile, they even done passport copy and didn't try upsell me on the atm card yearly fee .

Kasikorn quite nice bank be with, online banking tidy, setup virtual debit card easily and also added account contact for transfer in branch easily via forms and helpful staff so can do transfers to known contacts out of thailand online, the banking android app good too . pleased with account and services so far .

That is fantastic good for you.  Passport only nothing else?  Seems restrictive why did you even have to show a passport??

I have a friend who went to Kasikorn with nothing.  He lost his passport and was on a one year over stay.  They checked his US ID only and gladly opened an account no questions asked.

It is so easy you are right I do not understand why so many say it is not.  Maybe it is their approach, attitude or dress.

Remember, dress nice for success and smile no problem getting an account...... 

Maybe it is a question about the amount of the first deposit, when opening a new account? Maybe the staff is more willing to go the extra mile, if you deposit more than the absolute minimum required.....?

Been banking with Kasikorn for many years, but a couple of months ago I needed an account with SCB.........Went to their head office in Hua Hin..Straight to one of the staff by the not-cashier counters. Gave her my passport, my yellow book and 100k baht: "I want to open an account".....No question asked, she did all the paperwork, and 5 minutes later I left the office with my new passbook. Declined the debit card, since I already have one with Kasikorn.

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

This is the Thai ID card, so this are the required documents for Thais. I want to see how they put my passport in their card reader

You can use a passport , I used both my Thai DL and Passport at both Kasikorn and BK Bank.  A Thai DL has your passport number printed on it. 

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

I know, i never said that it's not possible to open a bank account without a work permit. I just tried to explain why many people have problems opening an account

Look , we can confirm that it is more difficult to open accounts after the junta took over , maybe they try to be more restrictive towards foreigners. 

I can give you a list of branches that I know still accept foreigners , in recent months here in Pattaya : Kasikorn Royal Garden Plaza, Kasikorn Big C Xtra, central road.  I also opened an account with L&H bank , same location (Big C) , but that was 2 years ago so can't confirm now. 

Also Kasikorn Jomtien beach road are friendly towards foreigners. 

The last account I personally opened with Kasikorn was in Chiang Mai , when I had to live there for 6 months. That was back in January 2017.  I only showed them my short term rental contract and my Thai DL. 

I am the owner of 7 bank accounts in Thailand , 4 of them opened with a tourist visa, the other opened based on my non-imm retirement visa, 

3 accounts in Bangkok , 3 in Pattaya and 1 in CM.  Why ? To avoid transfer fees when I move to a new district. 

Did any branches tell me, No you can't open without a work permit ? Yes , at least 5 branches said no can not do.   Just move on to the next branch . 

Edited by balo

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

That is fantastic good for you.  Passport only nothing else?  Seems restrictive why did you even have to show a passport??

I have a friend who went to Kasikorn with nothing.  He lost his passport and was on a one year over stay.  They checked his US ID only and gladly opened an account no questions asked.

It is so easy you are right I do not understand why so many say it is not.  Maybe it is their approach, attitude or dress.

Remember, dress nice for success and smile no problem getting an account...... 

appearance politeness and a smile is a big deal here, all the difference of basically being told f00k 0ff 'no can do' 'need work permit' etc etc or being given some greng jai and thus helping hand .

I would suggest you read Kasikorn website on opening an account, 500 deposit, in case of other ID types house registration .

Other requirement is you need be over 15 so maybe that the issue !

second kasikorn I went to wanted 2 docs ideally, he wanted house book with my name in it from wife (i not married and single) after chat he said would accept proof of residence or rental contract as long as my name clearly on it and the address same as using with account . also asked if had thai drivers licence but I do not .

I was going come back next day with rental papers but persisted with one more branch and armed with more current experience and practise it worked, he asked usual why need account I said because need transfer funds for property purchase and pay related bills and expenses etc and have somewhere keep funds I use while in thailand, he wanted house registration, I said have not got yet and have no house papers until I transfer funds and have proof of fund source via the bank so kind of catch 22, he understood the predicament and chatted with colleague who then went and copied passport and then proceeded with opening the account .

If bank manager and staff don't like falang or have no english skill they won't want help as don't want hassle or look stupid, if you speak good thai you got better chances or if have good thai friend (I don't mean a hooker) preferably someone employed and with account at same bank branch so they recommending the bank as staff and service so good which instantly improves the scenario a bit in your favour .

There is no written rule on must have work permit, I never seen it in almost 2 decades of my times working, holidaying, living here although you would of needed try a few banks to get one say need work permit rather than other way round back then .

If you put proper effort and gumption into it you will be rewarded with an account I can guarantee, Is it hard ! yes a little but persistence and good approach are the key.

I learnt persistence from a jehovah charity worker i knew in bangkok, she could get or achieve almost anything with officials here by pure persistence with politeness and doing best make/manipulate the situation to work .

Basically calm down and put effort into trying few more branches and if can have rental or property papers or if married and in wife or families house book that would be perfect .

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

I would suggest you read Kasikorn website on opening an account, 500 deposit, in case of other ID types house registration .

Other requirement is you need be over 15 so maybe that the issue !

Even if we assume for a moment that these rules are also for foreigners (i'm still 99% sure that these are the requirements for Thais). House registration does of course mean a house registration with your name in it and not some picture of a blue book that you maybe found on Google. So to abide to these requirements would be only possible if you have a yellow house book.

(Yes, i'm still aware that the real requirements in the branches differ)

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Even if we assume for a moment that these rules are also for foreigners (i'm still 99% sure that these are the requirements for Thais). House registration does of course mean a house registration with your name in it and not some picture of a blue book that you maybe found on Google. So to abide to these requirements would be only possible if you have a yellow house book.

(Yes, i'm still aware that the real requirements in the branches differ)

That page if expand it covers foreigners in other scenarios if read it all and use it your advantage on what not written 'nothing stated that must have work permit', 2 kasikorns I went to didn't really know for sure what needed, I could tell from body language and listening discussion between 2 staff at one that did issue my account  they would of liked house book copy or residence or property documents  either purchased or rented that had name and proposed address using with account . Reality is they don't know 100% either so you try make situation work for you., same scenario at immigration offices etc, you could spend days moaning about it on a forum or one good day armed with all docs you have access easily to and some gumption and politeness and make it happen . If they seem stuck for an answer suggest options like will my apartment rental documents cover that', saves them face and possible solves your issue.

Is lack of written and followed rules a PITA : yes , would it be more of a PITA if did find written rule must have work permit and it enforced : hell yes .

Like I said few posts back forget about what exact rules are as it pointless waste of your time, thais don't bother with it so why should we, focus on achieving your goal with info at hand and manipulate it to your favour, you know it can be done as loads of us unemployed falang have accounts recently opened while on tourists and non o visas and no work permits and little or nothing else so why waste so much time/energy on forum rather than using that time and energy trying few more bank branches .

scenario been same for decades, sure odds are worse currently but if can't knuckle down and overcome this minor obstacle what these people going do at real hurdles !

Edited by BuckBee

If you want to open a bank account without a work permit its easy.
- Provide a rental contract with your name inside (Proof of address in thailand)

- Get a document from your embassy which certifies your passport 

With this 2 documents, i am very sure you will get to open a bank account. 
Best bet is with Krungsri or Bangkok bank  
(I did mine at krungsri siam paragon and Bangkok bank at rama 9) Krungsri gave me ibanking but  bangkok bank didnt provide me with ibanking

I managed opened 4 bank accounts with just a normal tourist 28 days visa

Edited by justapasserby
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I wouldn't say, we were lucky Jack.

In a foreign Country, you need to do your homework first and be prepared with facts.

It's not to say I haven't had some issues with banks, where I find the frontline staff are poorly trained when dealing with 'foreigners'.

At Bangkok bank I wanted to open a Savings account in my name, but with my wife named as an account user, with two debit cards.

'No can', I was told.

Now I know Thais can do this and found nothing in small print to suggest foreigners couldn't, so I stood my ground and questioned their information. After I called their Head office, the account was opened (my name) but two debit cards issued.

Yes.  surge ahead and push until you get what you want.

I get it a lot.  No have. Look myself and yes have. Always ask 3 different staff before giving up if you can't check yourself.

Managed to convince staff last week that they probably should check out back for the air conditioner rather than guessing.  I got it.

Most posted experience here about successful account opening without work permit is older then 1 year and of not much help now because outdated info.

UOB bank is the one to go without work permit!!

I opened there in jan 18 without work permit, non immigrant or condo.

All other THAI banks refused.

But ok, up to you guys. Report your experience here how easy it was to open an account in 2015 with bangkok bank or krungsri, and just need nice dress, try many branches, need only passport bla bla.

Complete useless and always same discussion every time someone ask for helb regarding bank account opening.

18 minutes ago, Crisu said:

Most posted experience here about account opening is older then 1 year and of not much help now because outdated info.

UOB bank is the one to go without work permit!!

I opened there in jan 18 without work permit, non immigrant or condo.

All other THAI banks refused.

But ok, up to you guys. Report your experience here how easy it was to open an account in 2015 with bangkok bank or krungsri, and just need nice dress, try many branches, need only passport bla bla.

Complete useless and always same discussion every time someone ask for helb regarding bank account opening.

i think you will find i walked into a bank 2 days ago to confirm, gave him the location of the bank and what he was required to take with him. whether he went or not is up to him.

Edited by Happy enough

People who say they opened a bank account easily at xyz may well have done BUT the key question is when?
See my recent thread about my gf offering to put my name in her house book to try and make it easier to open a bank account.
Things have changed in Thailand banking and all of them are asking for work permits now.
I gave up after trying at 15 banks even with Thai drivers license, residency certificate, an existing BKK bank account passbook and atm card, student ED visa and letter from my school stating a one year course!
They were only interested in a 'Work Permit' and told me it's a "new bank policy".

Sent from my G8232 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

i think you will find i walked into a bank 2 days ago to confirm, gave him the location of the bank and what he was required to take but you enjoy your little spout off at the thread
Comment without any info.

Give me the branch+perso you open the account and wha document are required. I am in bkk now and will check it out here.