EEK! What's happened to the 1 year Non I B visas?

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

There’s your answer. A multiple entry visa is meant/designed for someone living abroad that needs to visit Thailand frequently. Someone living and working in the country should have an extension of stay.

You’ve got away with lax enforcement of the system for years, and as the number of workers using ME visas has increased, they are tightening up.

There is no reason why you should need or have a ME visa.

can you send a link from the official source that says it is designed for those travelling frequently to thailand and is 'not' for people living in thailand who frequently travel out of thailand please

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

There’s your answer. A multiple entry visa is meant/designed for someone living abroad that needs to visit Thailand frequently. Someone living and working in the country should have an extension of stay.

You’ve got away with lax enforcement of the system for years, and as the number of workers using ME visas has increased, they are tightening up.

**and whilst you're at it as you seem clued up as to how people should use the visas that immo grant them can you also tell me why those on a non imm o multi for example can get a work permit to work full time in the country without any extension if in fact they, as you say, aren't supposed to be living here

Thanks in advance

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

**and whilst you're at it as you seem clued up as to how people should use the visas that immo grant them can you also tell me why those on a non imm o multi for example can get a work permit to work full time in the country without any extension if in fact they, as you say, aren't supposed to be living here

Thanks in advance

Don't give them ideas. Maybe after xyz number of years of visiting Thai wife for a maximum duration of 90 days per stay, they will conclude that husbands should me more caring and spend a longer time with their wifes (not just visit them), therefore going on an extension of stay and meeting financials.

The way things have been going lately with these "changes", that sort of thing would not surprise me.

I know what they want. In an ideal scenario (from their point of view), they want everybody off the multi's and onto extensions of stay.

Edited by lkv

A yearly extension of stay plus multi-reentry-permit would have solved the issue. Also after more than a decade working for the same employer and two decades of working in Thailand I would have gotten at least Permanent Residency a long time ago.

32 minutes ago, lkv said:

Don't give them ideas. Maybe after xyz number of years of visiting Thai wife for a maximum duration of 90 days per stay, they will conclude that husbands should me more caring and spend a longer time with their wifes (not just visit them), therefore going on an extension of stay and meeting financials.

The way things have been going lately with these "changes", that sort of thing would not surprise me.

I know what they want. In an ideal scenario (from their point of view), they want everybody off the multi's and onto extensions of stay.

i disagree. if they wanted everyone off multis they would stop issuing them in the way they do. i used one for the first  time last year and am still on it after many years of extensions via work or marriage and prefer the multi o as i have to travel out of the country frequently so why bother going to get an extension when i can just get a multi o and work permit. sure they may stop them, wouldn't surprise me and then i'll go back on extensions but for now immo say ok, so ok. i prefer it

what do you mean 90 days to visit wife? i am talking about those living here using a non o that travel out of the country frequently be that for work or pleasure. last time i went out was for business in HK for 5 day and my wife was with me. you get my point

Edited by Happy enough

54 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

i disagree. if they wanted everyone off multis they would stop issuing them in the way they do. i used one for the first  time last year and am still on it after many years of extensions via work or marriage and prefer the multi o as i have to travel out of the country frequently so why bother going to get an extension when i can just get a multi o and work permit. sure they may stop them, wouldn't surprise me and then i'll go back on extensions but for now immo say ok, so ok. i prefer it

what do you mean 90 days to visit wife? i am talking about those living here using a non o that travel out of the country frequently be that for work or pleasure. last time i went out was for business in HK for 5 day and my wife was with me. you get my point

And what I am saying is, multi non O's were initially designed for people that work overseas, have a wife in Thailand, and go and visit their wifes for a duration of up to 90 days per entry, extendable for a further 60 days.

They were not designed for people to continuously live in Thailand and do in-out border runs every 90 days if they want to stay longer. That's what 12 month extensions of stay are for, renewable.

In their view (Immigration), people who spend most of their time in Thailand and travel ocasionally overseas should be on extensions of stay with re-entry permits.

In regards to Embassies and Consulates stopping issuing multi non O's for marriage, they kind of are, aren't they? You can only get them in 2 places in South East Asia, Savannakhet and Ho Chi Min. All the others will give you single and tell you to extend.

Same like Penang was the only place in SE Asia where one could get these multi nonB's without residing there.

More Embassies in Europe are nowadays refusing to issue multi non O's either for marriage or retirement, giving out 3 month singles and telling people to extend locally.

That's why I am saying, this is the current trend.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Happy enough said:

can you send a link from the official source that says it is designed for those travelling frequently to thailand and is 'not' for people living in thailand who frequently travel out of thailand please

No. However, the fact that they offer ME visas for people that need to ENTER multiple times, and extensions of stay for people that want to LIVE in the country makes it pretty obvious.

People living/working in Thailand, that have 1 year permits to stay, can use re-entry permits (multiple available) for their travels out of the country. They don't need entry visas.

4 hours ago, Happy enough said:

Thanks in advance

I didn't say they aren't supposed to be living here. I said ME visas are designed/meant for people that live abroad. The authorities have allowed people to use these visas to live/work in the country, but that doesn't change anything I've said. They are slowly making that harder, and taking that option away.

3 hours ago, Happy enough said:

i disagree. if they wanted everyone off multis they would stop issuing them in the way they do

You mean like that are doing at the consulate in Penang! Or the fact that they are getting harder and harder to get anywhere, particularly in SEA. Did you read the OP?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lkv said:

In regards to Embassies and Consulates stopping issuing multi non O's for marriage, they kind of are, aren't they? You can only get them in 2 places in South East Asia, Savannakhet and Ho Chi Min. All the others will give you single and tell you to extend.

Hanoi is also reported to issue them without financial proof. Penang and Kota Bharu, at last report, will issue them with financial proof. For a number of other locations in the region, we are not sure whether multi Non O Thai spouse are available. I would not be surprised in if you get them in Hong Kong and Yangon. People will generally just use those that are known to be a sure thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

I didn't say they aren't supposed to be living here. I said ME visas are designed/meant for people that live abroad. The authorities have allowed people to use these visas to live/work in the country, but that doesn't change anything I've said. They are slowly making that harder, and taking that option away.

To date, multiple Non O visas to visit Thai spouse is one of the few things that have not been made harder. I believe there is a lot of "that is the way I would think about it" in your views, with nothing concrete to back it up. For some, an extension of stay based on marriage can be inconvenient, even when spending the bulk of your time in Thailand. People who need to travel at short notice around the time of applying for the extension, or during the under consideration period, can have trouble. I do not think there is anything untoward in people taking an option that can be finalized overnight at a nearby consulate, rather than needing to ensure you are around your home for the correct month each year.

To their credit, I believe the Thai authorities want to be as accommodating as possible in keeping families together. I think they are deliberately not blocking the option that is available for those without savings to stay with their families.

• Like 1

and while we're at it - I still want to know - 

OH - SORRY - MY QUESTION WAS . . . HOW LONG HAS THIS INSANE 'EMPLOYEE CAN ONLY HAVE 3-MONTH B VISA ' RULE BEEN IN FORCE? Can anyone tell me?

2 minutes ago, robsamui said:

and while we're at it - I still want to know - 

OH - SORRY - MY QUESTION WAS . . . HOW LONG HAS THIS INSANE 'EMPLOYEE CAN ONLY HAVE 3-MONTH B VISA ' RULE BEEN IN FORCE? Can anyone tell me?

I assume you previously applied in Penang. The change was announced, and implemented around the start of this year (I cannot be bothered to look up the exact date).

• Like 1

Just now, BritTim said:

I assume you previously applied in Penang. The change was announced, and implemented around the start of this year (I cannot be bothered to look up the exact date).

Wrong assumption - Kota Baru.

I was told yesterday that all Thai Consulates in Malaysia now have the same ruling.

Look...

Even 15 years ago, it was explained to me by immigration, visa agents, visa 'lawyers', consular officials etc that a 1 yr multi-B was for some purpose like "exploring business opportunities in Thailand" and not for people working and living in Thailand full time.  

Of course that didn't stop many of us from living in Thailand on multiple B visas anyway, but we saw it as loophole we were enjoying rather than a right we were entitled to.

Maybe OP always had an agent send the paperwork abroad or whatever, but the process of getting a 1 year multiple B oneself at a consulate might have been instructive and might have made the visa vs extension policy distinctions more clear.

At a consulate you usually had to write down (and maybe show some documentation to support) that you were "exploring business opportunities" in Thailand and would need to travel in and out of the country a lot during the coming year.  That is, if you wanted the holy grail of B visas - the one year multiple entry. 

You didn't put down "oh I work in Thailand already, just exercising my option".  If you did that, chances are you'd get a 90 day B visa and instructions to extend with paperwork from your employer in-country.  Makes sense, doesn't it?  

FWIW they did not care (until a few years ago) that the stamps in your passport gave the lie to what you were telling them, so long as you put down the 'correct' reason for wanting the 1 year visa and had some documents to back it up.

Also, if I recall, ten years+ ago you couldn't get a work permit on a B visa.  You had to 'extend'.  At least that is what I was told at the old immi office at Suan Phlu.  No idea what the rule is now or what the OP has been doing for the past 14 years nor do I care.

To answer the OP's question:  It hasn't been easy for a LONG TIME to do what you've been doing.  

Further, this has been in the news a few times over the years.  One time some government official mentioned that people weren't supposed to be living on the Elite (or any visa) year round.  Caused a bit of a kerfuffle though of course nothing 'bad' happened, at least in terms of the Elite visa.  (I think this was the first iteration of that visa where extending for a year wasn't an option).

More recently, during the post shrine-bombing crackdown, border guards at the southern border were telling people to get on an extension if living in Thailand full time.  According to the powers that be, "border running" every 90 days on any kind of multi was not what anyone was "supposed" to be doing.  Multis were for people who really do come and go, not just technically come and go.  

Make of that what you will.  Prepare your legal briefs amongst yourselves.  But like I said above, I heard the same thing from all kinds of people involved in the great Thailand Non-Immigration game for the 18 years that I was a player/participant.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, john_bkk919 said:

Maybe OP always had an agent send the paperwork abroad or whatever, but the process of getting a 1 year multiple B oneself at a consulate might have been instructive and might have made the visa vs extension policy distinctions more clear.

At a consulate you usually had to write down (and maybe show some documentation to support) that you were "exploring business opportunities" in Thailand and would need to travel in and out of the country a lot during the coming year.  That is, if you wanted the holy grail of B visas - the one year multiple entry. 

What a blather. I am the OP and, NO, I never used an agent, I always went to Penang under my own steam and NO I never ever had to write an essay that I was exploring anything in Thailand and NO I never ever had to show any kind of documents to support any of these things that I never had to do.

It's always a temptation for some people to get carried away with flights of imaginative fancy when writing posts on TV but - oh my word - you could hold seminars in how to do this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baneko said:

I am only in Thailand 26 days every other month. I live here and work overseas. I can be called to work anytime. An extension based on marraige would not suit me compaired to a non o based on marraige multi entry.

They are perfect for people on rotation or for buisness overseas.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

An extension of stay based on Marriage and a multiple reentry permit would give you exactly the same, the only difference being the financial requirements, for which you could use income.

I agree that the intention of a non-b is for frequent business trips and not for working here full time, what does escape my logic is why they will issue them for a director or above who works here full time, what is the difference?

Some people who utilise ME non-b visas and are working here full time, do so because either they, or the company cannot meet the requirements to get an extension of stay.

OP, I am not saying this includes you, just that this is one of the reasons.

16 hours ago, elviajero said:

I would object - I am living and working in Thailand since now 13 years and I am travelling back to Europe every 6-8 weeks to refresh mind and some business meetings. Same as if I go for a holiday to any other countries and therefore of course I need a multiple entry visa.

Addition: yes, I not got any multiple entry from outside Thailand since about 2 years, however, I got it here in CW last year.

Edited by Prince77
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Prince77 said:

I would object - I am living and working in Thailand since now 13 years and I am travelling back to Europe every 6-8 weeks to refresh mind and some business meetings. Same as if I go for a holiday to any other countries and therefore of course I need a multiple entry visa.

Why, an extension of stay with a multiple reentry permit is the same and would allow you to do this.

17 hours ago, robsamui said:

"Oh sorry - alien underlings who are too low-status to be directors or shareholders of a company, and who are mere employees, can now not  get a 12 month B visa. Only 3 months."

It seems the annual extension is a fairly straight forward way to get 12 month stays and relieves you of the need to travel out of the country every three months. Shouldn't really be much of a hardship compared to getting visas every year. If you want to travel, just get a re-entry permit.

It seems the annual extension is a fairly straight forward way to get 12 month stays and relieves you of the need to travel out of the country every three months. Shouldn't really be much of a hardship compared to getting visas every year. If you want to travel, just get a re-entry permit.

It isn’t if you have to travel regularly out of the country. And it release you from the need to visit a IO every three months with all the possible discrimination correlated with that.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app