Tourists hospitalised after fire rips through Pattaya Walking Street

rooster59

Bar girls could be seen running to safety as the fire quickly spread from the Marine Disco to neighbouring bars and properties.

The OP mentioned the fire starting near Marine Disco. Did Marine Disco get burned in this?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Not understand Marine disco is in Walking Street  quote-"the fire spread from there"  Marine Disco is on  the beach side, then it said Soi 16.   that is on the East side.     Some one has had too many Bacardi's 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Judging by the videos and photos, it is quite amazing that only two tourists were hospitalized; well done to the people (fire-fighters, etc.) managing the situation!

It is a sad event as I understand that Pattaya already is slowing down a bit; this will make things worse. Whether you like it or not, 'Walking Street' in known internationally and a sure tourist draw.

Hang in there, Pattaya!

less people & less cars can only ever be a good thing for pattaya,

but i dont see that happening unfortunately

6 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Not understand Marine disco is in Walking Street  quote-"the fire spread from there"  Marine Disco is on  the beach side, then it said Soi 16.   that is on the East side.     Some one has had too many Bacardi's 

Just to add,   if a lot of burnt out motor cycles,  and it is Walking street ????

19 minutes ago, Cranky said:

It's not Walking Street, it's the other Marine Disco at the back of Marine Bar near second road.

Yes there's a few Marine Discos around that area. Probably Marine Mansion, the hotel in soi 16, had a disco on the ground floor a few years ago, not sure if it's still going. 

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Officials have promised a full investigation into the fire, which is suspected to be caused by a faulty electrical transformer. 

How about having an investigation into their electrical infrastructure?  This is the second transformer fire on Walking street in the last year or so right?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Judging by the videos and photos, it is quite amazing that only two tourists were hospitalized; well done to the people (fire-fighters, etc.) managing the situation!

It is a sad event as I understand that Pattaya already is slowing down a bit; this will make things worse. Whether you like it or not, 'Walking Street' in known internationally and a sure tourist draw.

Hang in there, Pattaya!

Hence the moniker: Amazing Thailand

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Thailand and electrical safety is an oxymoron and are poles apart (sorry about the pun). How many lives need to be lost before something is done about this fiasco?

Thailand is a third world country. Lots of things to be brought up to scratch. But if everything was ticky-boo, farang might go elsewhere for their pleasure.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, pi2005ni said:

Amazing job last night by the police and emergency services.

Let's do remember TVF posters sneering and accusing the authorities of corruption for clearing the side roads of street vendors to enable better access for emergency vehicles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Airbagwill said:

This will leave a convenient gap for redevelopment.

A gap?

The fire itself may have been impressive (because of the products inside the transformer) but it stayed mainly around the electric pole and barely spread around. if you look at pics already posted, you will notice that the 2 bars touched by the fire must cover at most 6x10 meters. A very small area and nothing important destroyed. Even the cheap sheet metal roof resisted !

124.jpg

4 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

A gap?

The fire itself may have been impressive (because of the products inside the transformer) but it stayed mainly around the electric pole and barely spread around. if you look at pics already posted, you will notice that the 2 bars touched by the fire must cover at most 6x10 meters. A very small area and nothing important destroyed. Even the cheap sheet metal roof resisted !

124.jpg

Unfortunate if the gap isn't big enough, but I'm sure subsequent structural surveys will convince the lcal authorities that enough needs pulling down for a new business to be built.

Edited by Airbagwill

It's a regular occurrence/observation to both see and hear these transformers crackling and sparkling all over the land of smiles ! I've seen one go off in Bangla Rd opposite Kangaroo Bar and another in Khon Kaen. 

The electrical work here blows me away ( almost literally in Bangla Rd ! ).

m

Just now, Chriss77 said:

It's a regular occurrence/observation to both see and hear these transformers crackling and sparkling all over the land of smiles ! I've seen one go off in Bangla Rd opposite Kangaroo Bar and another in Khon Kaen. 

The electrical work here blows me away ( almost literally in Bangla Rd ! ).

i'm sure your right. also if I wanted to destroy a building surely that would be a least suspected way for a fire to start too?

• Like 2

to clarify. soi 16 near marine plaza not walking st. 2 bars badly damaged some others with minor problems. 6 motorcy parked near the guilty transformer completely destroyed by fire and their petrol tanks would have added fuel to the fire.

the name of the bar complex which i had never noticed till the morning............

5aa4de1b5f6ca_mar11008(Custom).JPG.759ff19f399f71e50410ae0c51393fee.JPG

the 2 bars fronting soi 16 suffering most were titanic and ann ann.

could have been much worse

Edited by striderman

They almost made it to the anniversary:

15 March 2017, transformer explosion in front of "Rock Street" in the heart of WS.

FORTUNATELY this happened at 7:30 AM.

That would have cost lives otherwise.

(popular "open" live music place, popular gogo next to it affected)

Rebuilt and now a huge new transformer at the place.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 minute ago, tropo said:

Allow me. Only 2 tourists were treated for burns and smoke inhalation after that huge fire in a very busy tourist area AND inside a disco. That's good news!

it was good news. but not inside a disco. it was a single level outside beer bar complex