10 Reasons you left your homeland to live in Thailand

4MyEgo

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

I didn't leave my home country to live in Thailand.

Whilst working in Singapore, I met my wife, who happened to be Thai.

Pretty sure I wouldn't live in Thailand if she didn't want to be near her family.

I enjoy it but it wouldn't be my 1st choice.... Fortunately, I still work overseas for part of the year, so get the best of both worlds :) 

Thanks, and yes sounds like you have the best of both worlds, i.e. working overseas, but what are your plans when you retire, with regard to where you will live ?

Edited by 4MyEgo

36 minutes ago, HLover said:

1. To post my personal life to strangers.

2. To post my background to strangers and potential misfits.

Can't think of any more information now.

Sometimes its good to spared, thanks all the same :post-4641-1156694572:

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I have not left yet, but if I retire from work this year, the cost of the "mandatory" medical insurance for me a 61 year old single male here in Florida, USA on the healthcare gov website will be $850/month for the worst cheapest Bronze plan.  I have too much passive income to qualify for subsidies.  And the sign up and billing and yearly adjustment of costs is nonsense.  There are still some affordable BUPA plans for example in Thailand that I think I would buy in order to tide me over until I am 65.  It is possible I can lower my passive income, by pouring the money into a cash purchase of a house, versus cheap renting as I am now.  But I don't like being coerced or manipulated by anybody or anything.  Now next year 2019 there is supposedly no penalty for not having Obamacare, in which case I would definitely do Thailand buy insurance there and oddly enough travel to Thailand or stay 6 months or more each year and go for treatment.  Medical tourism is popular, well, I would kind of do that in advance.   

I will be eligible for retirement  next year also, and like you I am a Florida resident, and these are some of the things that I am researching. .

First , if you live in Thailand you are not required to be covered by Obama care.

If you decide to move to Thailand  check to see if you have any preexisting conditions that will not be covered in Thailand by private health insurance.

And don't think that at your age It will be much cheaper than what you will pay for Obama care in the US.

If I was you I would consider exactly what you mentioned, which is buy a house cash that would lower your income and make your Obama care premium lower.  Live in the house and come to Thailand a few months every year and set up you eventual Thai retirement (you can rent a place very inexpensively in Thailand).

Then when you are ready to make your move at about 65, either rent your FL place and have and additional income, or sell it and take the cash.I would recommend against the later, because if you are lucky you will get old and might have to repatriate, or you might not like Thailand or, or..... so many ORs

Anyway food for thought.

To those on the know what is the cost per month on PUPA for a 61 year old now days?

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, swissie said:

Yep! You forgot to mention "a biggie": Low cost of living. (possibly Numero Uno.)
There might be another 7 reasons, but of minor relevance, compared to the "big 3".
Cheers.

Can't argue with that.  Just walking around or sitting around, I see a dozen Miss Universe's a day.  The challenge is to find a place with good clean beaches for swimming.  I love Phuket and karon beach.  A shame Pattaya and Jomtien are so bad water wise

• Like 1

Used to be a good place but now food prices are comparable with my home country,  cheaper to live in my home country now, so after 20 yeas saying good by to all the hassles of living here 90 day reporting etc. In the U.S you get a green card and they don't make you report like a criminal . Scammers everywhere, military seizing property? No rights at all, 4th class citizen. Wont live long breathing the filthy air. eating vegetable and fruit sprayed with paraquat. Beaches so filthy you cant walk for the garbage and swim at your own risk. Might as well swim in the clongs of Bangkok, not so far to drive.

So tell me again what is good about this place?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Bored with my job in the UK.  Always fancied myself as an English teacher.  The CELTA course was much cheaper to do in Bangkok than in London.  Got offered a job in Bangkok straightaway.  Now earning more here, after 13 years, than I could doing the same thing in the UK, and married (although not to a Thai) with a kid.  

May go back though, for the kid's sake...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

At least there is 1 honest poster, many thousands more did the same (me included ) but wont come straight out and say it.

Most females do have vaginas whatever Country you go to and prostitution exists in most Countries

• Like 1