Elephant Polo To Continue Despite Abuse

webfact

Elephant Polo To Continue Despite Abuse

By Lobsang Dundup Sherpa Subirana, Deputy Editor

Image-uploaded-from-iOS-6-3-696x522.jpg  

Mahouts wielding bullhooks sit on elephants Saturday in the walled field where they were kept when not competing.

BANGKOK — The host of an annual elephant polo tournament said Sunday that one case of animal mistreatment does not merit canceling the annual event.

In response to footage released Thursday showing elephant trainers striking and prodding the animals with bullhooks, William Heinecke, host of the annual King’s Cup Elephant Polo, said the inappropriate behavior of what he described as one caretaker wasn’t cause to cancel the whole tournament.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bangkok/2018/03/12/elephant-polo-to-continue-despite-abuse/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-03-12
  • Sad 2

Heinecke said all participating elephants had been bred in captivity and not captured in the wild, adding that they wouldn’t have a way to feed themselves if they were released into their natural habitat.

Shirley, they could dial 1112 to order a pizza.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

said Sunday that one case of animal mistreatment does not merit canceling the annual event.

usual one-dimensional thai thinking; the fact that i killed your mother has no correlation to the likelihood that i will kill your whole family (uh huh)

• Like 2

Heinecke said all participating elephants had been bred in captivity and not captured in the wild, adding that they wouldn’t have a way to feed themselves if they were released into their natural habitat.

I think I'm going to drastically reduce my 1112 pizza intake.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Darcula said:

Trunk call?

(For our younger readers - the term trunk call was adopted for long distance calls. Initially a trunk call had to be booked in advance and a switchboard operator called the subscriber when the call set-up was completed).

9 hours ago, Fish Head Soup said:

The footage was shown on the main UK news the other day. One could not fail to be shocked by it.

A lot of people in the UK will be put off visiting Thailand after seeing this for sure. A total disgrace.

He is a supporter of the Thai Elephant Conservation Centre! The way to get pompous hypocrites like Heinecke to behave is to hurt them in what is most important to them, their pocket book. If people withdrew their custom from his obesity outlets he would soon sit up. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

What on earth do people think is done to an elephant to make it

tame, they basically beat it up.

This is not new !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not condoning it,    but the above is the truth.

Elephants should be left in the wild. :jap:

I agree that elephants, and other wild animals, should be left in the wild.  But, it is not the case that all domesticated elephants need to be abused to be tamed, those born in captivity and kept together with their already broken mother often need little training, learning off their mother, it is the ones taken from the wild that go through the lengthy and brutal breaking in process.  Unfortunately taking elephants from the wild is still happening in Thailand, we know for a fact that it must be as the numbers of captive registered elephants far exceed the number born in Thailand, they are presumed to be coming from other neighbouring countries, somehow smuggled in.

45 minutes ago, Knee Jerk Reaction said:

He is a supporter of the Thai Elephant Conservation Centre! The way to get pompous hypocrites like Heinecke to behave is to hurt them in what is most important to them, their pocket book. If people withdrew their custom from his obesity outlets he would soon sit up. 

What are those obesity outlets? I have no idea...but i want this to stop today so let me boycot that guy heniecke

Just now, Thian said:

What are those obesity outlets? I have no idea...but i want this to stop today so let me boycot that guy heniecke

Oh i see now, i spend loads of money on his shops....i love all of them....that will be over now. no more pizza supaadaalak, whoppers, eyecream, australian chopped steak, talking bread for me.....

51 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I agree that elephants, and other wild animals, should be left in the wild.  But, it is not the case that all domesticated elephants need to be abused to be tamed, those born in captivity and kept together with their already broken mother often need little training, learning off their mother, it is the ones taken from the wild that go through the lengthy and brutal breaking in process.  

I reckon they bash them just the same , when your not looking.

or anyone else for that matter.

Outside of Thailand maybe your right , but here.

they don't care what they do to Animals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

I reckon they bash them just the same , when your not looking.

or anyone else for that matter.

Outside of Thailand maybe your right , but here.

they don't care what they do to Animals.

They all get a bashing, but the videos you see on the net of people torturing baby elephants is the breaking of wild elephants not those born in captivity, that was all I was really trying to say, not condoning any of it, just trying to keep it real.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:08 PM, webfact said:

Heinecke, host of the annual King’s Cup Elephant Polo, said the inappropriate behavior of what he described as one caretaker wasn’t cause to cancel the whole tournament.

No. It was unfortunate for him and his business that it was caught on camera.

I'm sure the "inappropriate behavior" has been going on for a long time and prior to every tournament he has hosted/sponsored.

The guy is an aloof sicko.

• Sad 1