Scooter for Girl

mackayae

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

?

A Scoopy is 108.2 ccm and an automatic.

Very smooth and silent.

I tried it, though even for me with only 1.72m it's just too small.

Exactly made for the underage group from 15 years on.

15 is the age where they can do a motorbike driving license.

Don't ask about the idea behind these limits.

Indeed such a scooter can do 100 km/h (62 mph) or more(?).

Try not to think about it if you have just given the 15 year old daughter such a scooter

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You ride a bike?

I'd insist on a helmet, no helmet no bike is the deal.

Honda Click 125i

I think it needs to be a 110 cc bike?  Agree about the helmet, but have you tried to get Thai girls to wear a helmet - it ruins their hair ..... apparently.  I won't start the bike until my partner puts on a helmet, and when she has it on, she has that "dog in a bath' look on her face until she can take it off.  I'd insist on a proper helmet and riding gloves as a minimum, plus a gps system on her phone that I can check to see she never exceeds 40 KPH, plus back-roads only ...... and no boyfriends on the bike, oh, and no tongues when kissing.

• Like 1

Important is how tall the seat sits and how tall you child is. My girl got the Fino just because she is 5'1" and that one sat low enough too the ground that her feet would touch. Difficult concept to explain on a page. 

I think it needs to be a 110 cc bike?  Agree about the helmet, but have you tried to get Thai girls to wear a helmet - it ruins their hair ..... apparently.  I won't start the bike until my partner puts on a helmet, and when she has it on, she has that "dog in a bath' look on her face until she can take it off.  I'd insist on a proper helmet and riding gloves as a minimum, plus a gps system on her phone that I can check to see she never exceeds 40 KPH, plus back-roads only ...... and no boyfriends on the bike, oh, and no tongues when kissing.
Personally i think one with decent acceleration is safer than one that struggles, that boy died the other day under a bus when the guy came out the side road. If he'd had decent acceleration he could of got out of trouble by passing the bus.
Debatable whether the police will enforce the law. Maybe hit and miss is a better phrase

59 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

There's a 15, maybe 16 year old lad that I know in Udon Thani riding around on a Honda CBR150R that his British step dad bought for him. Responsible parenting?

And there's a 14 y/o in our village that rides his dad's around sometime. Same type from what I can see.

Enforcement. What's that?

I'm not concern much with what the law states or doesn't state here in Thailand, nothing gets enforced and when it does they don't base it on the actually law more how they feel on a given time and day. Police aren't trained to do much but break the law themselves here they follow and set a bad example taught by the peer who make up the stuff as they go along.

That being said, this is their country not going to change what age they start to drive or what they drive. I'm more concern that they learn how to do it right and do it safely. Here it isn't going to happen since I've haven't seen any official able to teach it or do it themselves.

2 hours ago, 1130bobs said:

After the obvious answer; the safest bike for her is one that does NOT have a boy (friend) driving it.   

Get the smallest 110 - 115cc auto that is around.  No gears.  I feel the advantages of ABS are off set in this case because a 150cc is too much power for any novice in Thailand.  Also, I would not recommend the tri yamaha. A novice friend fell off it twice at slow speed - the 2nd time breaking his wife's hip.  Since she lives here, not on a 2 week vacation, she needs to learn how a scooter handles.  That is where her safety is - how she drives it - defensive driving.  Take some trips with her so you can show her tips for corners, traffic, lights, etc.

She will thank you for it (even if not spoken).  Take her on sand, mud to see how it affects handling.  Get her to jam the brakes at 5-10kph on grass to see what it feels like to slide, skid.

This is the best you can do - except to put a speed limiter on it.  But that would probably cause her to find a boy to disable it.   

I suspect my recommendation of the Yamaha Tricity is a moot point - I was unaware of the age restriction on bikes greater than 110cc capacity. 

That said: I continue to stand by my point that the Tricity is the safest scooter out there. If your friend fell off one twice, I suspect your friend is to blame rather than the bike!!.. 

You are not going to get much safer than two, antilocking front wheels.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I suspect my recommendation of the Yamaha Tricity is a moot point - I was unaware of the age restriction on bikes greater than 110cc capacity. 

That said: I continue to stand by my point that the Tricity is the safest scooter out there. If your friend fell off one twice, I suspect your friend is to blame rather than the bike!!.. 

You are not going to get much safer than two, antilocking front wheels.

Why do you think two anti-locking front wheels are the best? Millions of people learned to drive safe with just one front and one back wheel. It's not difficult! People fall of their bikes and have accidents if they do something wrong like riding too fast into a corner or hitting something with too much speed. Two front wheels won't change that.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Let's be realistic and look at the alternative: If she does not drive herself then most likely she will drive on the back of the bike with someone else. And if the someone else is a teenager boy with lots of testosterone her chances of getting killed will be a lot higher as if she drives by herself.

Obviously some parents dream about that their kids will never drive. But that that's exactly that - a dream.

And let's add the theoretical alternative of a bicycle. I have no statistics but I would bet that is even more dangerous - at least on city streets.

your right, its not a decision id like to be making over here if i had a kid.

if it was me I WOULD TEACH MY KID the highway code and all the things about the road and to be looking out for ie reading the road ahead, expect the unexpected etc. then wish for luck.

41 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

She got one free don't you know.

Yes you sometimes get a free helmet with a new motorcycle, but some of the free helmets are about as good as putting an empty ice cream bucket on your head.

How much is your head worth ?

• Like 2

On 3/12/2018 at 10:14 PM, jay1980 said:

I thought 15 year olds could only legally ride a scooter 110cc or under so unless i am wrong probably best to one that falls into this category?

how do you think and when are the COPS are going to stop and check to see what age the driver is and what cc the motorbike is??? They most probably do not know the cc a young person can drive !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinca tinca said:

how do you think and when are the COPS are going to stop and check to see what age the driver is and what cc the motorbike is??? They most probably do not know the cc a young person can drive !!!

Whatever you are taking, please stop, it appears to be addling your brain.

• Haha 1

Been living and working in CM for the last nine years; must counter the assumption that riding alone would be safer than with a young boy.  It has been my experience that young females are the most aggressive drivers on the road.  Hardly a day goes by that at least one doesn't try to impose her driving dominance over the old guy.  Just saying...    Doc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Kinnock said:

That would be no kissing; and if you do, always wear a condom.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That said: I continue to stand by my point that the Tricity is the safest scooter out there.

If they are so safe, and so stable, and such a good bike, why do you not see more of them ?

Guess the majority of the riding public is ignorant of their supposed benefits.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

If they are so safe, and so stable, and such a good bike, why do you not see more of them ?

Yamaha clearly believe in the concept, as they are about to launch a 1 liter sportsbike with 2 front wheels (the Niken).  The design of the Tricity and the Niken will help to prevent one of the common causes of bike crashes (front wheel washing out due to poor road conditions/excessive braking or excessive speed), although from what I've seen from the many Youtube videos of bike accidents in Thailand, the two front wheels will not help with the main causes of accidents here (not looking where you are going).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Well ... they would, wouldn't they ?

Looks Horrible IM not so HO

Try lane splitting with this !!!

I reckon that's the main problem with the Tricity and the Niken - good idea, but you'd look like a plonker riding one.

I heard that the Tricity costs more to build than they make back in sales - so Yamaha are subsidizing it to grow the market - which makes it a great bargain, but I still can't get past the looks.  But in the OP's case - if it wasn't for the 110cc limit, I'd still be pushing my daughter towards a Tricity due to the improve stability under braking and cornering ..... just wouldn't ride it myself!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

or unwilling to double the price for safety

36 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

or unwilling to double the price for safety

How do you figure they are more safe ? Because they have 2 front tires ?

How you figure traction will be better, when kg per sq cm is half with two tires instead of one ?

And it is this weight on the tire which causes friction, which allows the tire to grip the road, which allows you to apply the brake.

"The vertical force is determined by the proportion
of the combined weight of vehicle
and payload that is acting on the individual
wheel concerned."

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjmj4_wwuvZAhWKPo8KHRUhBYAQFggnMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.springer.com%2Fcda%2Fcontent%2Fdocument%2Fcda_downloaddocument%2F9783658039776-c1.pdf%3FSGWID%3D0-0-45-1468312-p176308738&usg=AOvVaw3L6plMdRuQmjaTnJOs7sSZ

For a good education into Vehicle Dynamics

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

How do you figure they are more safe ? Because they have 2 front tires ?

How you figure traction will be better, when kg per sq cm is half with two tires instead of one ?

Couple years back papa bought a near-new 125cc version

real cheap from a guy leaving country.

Ran her home on the highway 331,

a rough highway.

100++.

Rodded her on the sois.

Heavy-braking on sandy & wet pavement,

slamming pot-holes, .

IpHO,

Tricity way more stable and safer than 2-wheeler.

Because they have 2 front tires, yes.

Friction and traction are not synonymous.

Lifan DS running 3psi // larger footprint

has way more traction

compared to 20psi // much smaller footprint configuration,

on loose funky stuff, 

same tire.

Edited by papa al
  • Like 2