Stephen Hawking: modern cosmology's brightest star dies aged 76

webfact

Stephen Hawking: modern cosmology's brightest star dies aged 76

The physicist and author of A Brief History of Time has died, a family member has said

Ian SampleScience editor

Stephen Hawking, the brightest star in the firmament of science, whose insights shaped modern cosmology and inspired global audiences in the millions, has died aged 76

For fellow scientists and loved ones, it was Hawking’s intuition and wicked sense of humour that marked him out as much as the broken body and synthetic voice that came to symbolise the unbounded possibilities of the human mind.

Hawking was driven to Wagner, but not the bottle, when he was diagnosed with motor neurone disease in 1963 at the age of 21. Doctors expected him to live for only two more years. But Hawking had a form of the disease that progressed more slowly than usual. He survived for more than half a century and long enough for his disability to define him. His popularity would surely have been diminished without it.

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/mar/14/stephen-hawking-professor-dies-aged-76

-- The Guardian 2018-03-14

Physicist Stephen Hawking, who conquered the stars, dies at 76

By Stephen Addison

2018-03-14T040544Z_1_LYNXNPEE2D0AX_RTROPTP_3_HEALTH-AI-ROBOTS (1).JPG

FILE PHOTO: British scientist and theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking attends a launch event for a new award for science communication, called the Stephen Hawking Medal for Science Communication, in London, Britain December 16, 2015. REUTERS/Toby Melville/File Photo

(Reuters) - Stephen Hawking, who sought to explain some of the most complicated questions of life while himself working under the shadow of a likely premature death, has died at 76.

The UK's Press Association reported his death, citing a spokesman for the family.

Hawking's formidable mind probed the very limits of human understanding both in the vastness of space and in the bizarre sub-molecular world of quantum theory, which he said could predict what happens at the beginning and end of time.

His work ranged from the origins of the universe itself, through the tantalising prospect of time travel to the mysteries of space's all-consuming black holes.

But the power of his intellect contrasted cruelly with the weakness of his body, ravaged by the wasting motor neurone disease he contracted at the age of 21.

Hawking was confined for most of his life to a wheelchair. As his condition worsened, he had to resort to speaking through a voice synthesiser and communicating by moving his eyebrows.

The disease spurred him to work harder but also contributed to the collapse of his two marriages, he wrote in a 2013 memoir "My Brief History."

In the book he related how he was first diagnosed: "I felt it was very unfair - why should this happen to me," he wrote.

"At the time, I thought my life was over and that I would never realise the potential I felt I had. But now, 50 years later, I can be quietly satisfied with my life."

Hawking shot to international fame after the 1988 publication of "“A Brief History of Time", one of the most complex books ever to achieve mass appeal, which stayed on the Sunday Times best-sellers list for no fewer than 237 weeks.

He said he wrote the book to convey his own excitement over recent discoveries about the universe.

“"My original aim was to write a book that would sell on airport bookstalls," he told reporters at the time. "“In order to make sure it was understandable I tried the book out on my nurses. I think they understood most of it."

(Editing by Sonya Hepinstall and Neil Fullick)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-14

47 minutes ago, z42 said:

RIP. Without a shadow of a doubt one of the brightest minds in history, an inspiration to anybody and everybody

He never inspired me in the slightest! barely understood a word he wrote or spoke, they say he was super intelligent? i will leave that for others to judge.

RIP

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

What a man! The mere fact that way back in 1963 he was given two years to live is remarkable in itself, but to achieve everything that he did against all the odds is truly phenomenal. A true legend R.I.P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1