Humans first - soi dogs second! Thais now advocating "the final solution"

webfact

5 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

It not about road accident it is about rabies this can cause a outbreak of meny people getting sick and die

I bet more die per day from avoiding dogs on bikes/cars  etc  than from rabies though.

Hang on...Didn't we read earlier this week that the Rabies outbreak has now peaked and is on the decline?

or am I missing the point, the point being that the core religious beliefs of the country can be set aside in

favour of tourism? Most Temples look after strays and feed them (speaking only for those in my area at least)

7 minutes ago, Shackleton123 said:

He said, entirely missing the point. Or should I say evading the point on a technicality.

Which point did I miss ?? 

Killing could refer to one, two or many.. Eradicating would refer to removal of all.

Therefore, culling is the appropriate word to use. Meaning to reduce numbers !!

15 minutes ago, Shackleton123 said:

Hang on...Didn't we read earlier this week that the Rabies outbreak has now peaked and is on the decline?

or am I missing the point, the point being that the core religious beliefs of the country can be set aside in

favour of tourism? Most Temples look after strays and feed them (speaking only for those in my area at least)

The dog problem has been in Thailand for far too long and has caused many injuries from bites , deaths from rabies plus packs of uncontrolled , vicious street dogs making no go areas to walk . Buddhism beliefs have stopped the culling in Thailand , so what is it that enables other Asian Buddhist  countries to deal with & control the dog problem and put their people first .     I am thinking that every town should have dog wardens who pick up stray / soi dogs to be kenneled for 2 weeks and if unclaimed to be destroyed , if they are claimed by their owners the dog to be chipped and in the event the dog is found straying the streets again the owner to be fined , 2 strikes and destroy he dog .   

• Like 2

23 hours ago, djayz said:

Although I love animals, particularly dogs, I think a cull is long over due. There are simply too many of the muts roaming the streets barking and scaring people.

I wouldn't dare walk around or village b/c of the dogs. They run/roam/breed freely. People here in "the sticks" unofficially own them but take absolutely NO responsibility for them. I find it appalling. Since experiencing this, I've grown to hate dogs. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, superal said:

The dog problem has been in Thailand for far too long and has caused many injuries from bites , deaths from rabies plus packs of uncontrolled , vicious street dogs making no go areas to walk . Buddhism beliefs have stopped the culling in Thailand , so what is it that enables other Asian Buddhist  countries to deal with & control the dog problem and put their people first .     I am thinking that every town should have dog wardens who pick up stray / soi dogs to be kenneled for 2 weeks and if unclaimed to be destroyed , if they are claimed by their owners the dog to be chipped and in the event the dog is found straying the streets again the owner to be fined , 2 strikes and destroy he dog .  

Thailand is a fairly big place and what might be happening in one area /district/province might not in another.

The dog problem in our area has got worse since the Junta has been in. Prior to that there was the weekly 'dog-wagon'. The wagon would take any strays, or dogs that people didn't want, and give an ice-bucket or broom in return. These wagons ran out of Sakon Nakon (Isaan). There they eat dog with their rice every day.

I've tried dog myself. I found it over-rated taste-wise. But of course if it helps the dog prob' I reckon I could get used to it. Might even grow to like it like the Thais.

Bring back the dog-wagon I say. 

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, hugh2121 said:

Better to cull the morons who turned the dogs out in the first place.

Some, maybe many, of the morons are already dead.  A lot of posters seem to think these dogs have been turned out recently.  When I lived in Pathumthani a couple of years back coming home one night I counted 20 dogs on the street in about 500 metres.  I believe the govt came in to take them away a couple of months later but as there is thick scrub along the soi many avoided capture. Not long after that I was walking along the same stretch of road and counted 13 pups.  So the point is that many of these dogs could be many generations removed from the original rejected dog.  The other obvious point is that trying to capture them for spaying will not be easy and one shot from a rifle will see them scattering out of sight.  Tranquilliser guns may work or providing food containing a quick acting sedative is an alternative.  Somehow I doubt that the govt has dog pounds and anyway what is the point?  Do dog loving posters think that numerous people (in the hundreds of thousands) will come to the pound to "rescue" Fido from being euthanised?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yrag said:

I was recently attacked by two vicious dogs in sattahip...they were used as a weapon to attack me..for no reason..15 shots and pain still fighting to even get the close to 10,000 doctor bills paid....Been HELL

I also have been bitten 6 times over the last year by stray dogs and I am getting sick and tired of going to the hospital to have a few shots and costing me an arm and a leg .........

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Artisi said:

So did an immediate night cull start on each and every property where the ducks,  turkey's etc are being killed off, if it hasn't well the depletion of the birds is deserved.

Let's just say I haven't noticed so many dogs around lately and none coming to our chook yard during the day to eye off their night's dinner.  I thought I had constructed a predator proof chook yard with 1 metre chain link fencing around the bottom and blue net covering that to 2 metres high with self closing gate.  Didn't think we'd have to lock the gate but now we do.  Maybe there were humans involved as well?

15 hours ago, Troebal said:

There are many people in Thailand trying to improve the situation in a humane way. We have built a shelter which houses 100 dogs from the street, mostly out of our own pocket. We have had over 200 sterilization surgeries performed on strays in the past 18 months and many hundreds of vaccinations.We would happily do far more but receive essentially no support from the local population or the government. We are therefore limited to doing only what we can afford. Everyone wants the problem solved but expect someone else to take care of it. Simply doesn't work that way.

We all pay taxes. It is a large national problem that can only be effectively cured by government action paid for by taxes. Whilst I admire your resolve private actions will only ever be a drop in the ocean.

15 hours ago, djayz said:

No offense, but that's a resounding NO from me re licenses. We have the same load of bxllxcks in Ireland. What a pain in the arxe it is for dog owners who DO actually care for their dogs. Why should the "good people" be penalized again?! I see it as being another form of tax. 

One of the things I like about Thailand is the lack of dog licenses, TV licenses, fishing licenses, etc. Life should be simple, the less licenses the better. 

The "good people" should be happy that they are contributing to society in keeping the "bad people" at bay. A fee per dog would distract many people from owning lots of dogs, could entice people to sterilize their dog (offered free with license).

40 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Collars are put on dogs to show ownership and hopefully not get them removed from the streets they roam. But where I live, Pattaya, we have a law that says owned dogs are not allowed to be on the street unless leashed. I believe that recently a national law about dogs defecating on public land came into effect. So the simple answer is: Find a dog with a collar roaming the street, capture it and place it in a pound. Wait 7 days for owner to show up and pay the fines and get the dog released into their custody. 99% of the time that will NEVER happen. On day 8 put the dog down. End of collared dogs roaming the street. Thailand will need to invest in dog pounds, a sign of a civilised society.

I think that 7 days is not long enough as there is a chance that the owner may be ill or out of town and the dog has got out of the yard , double it to 2 weeks at least to be fair and not put down an innocent dog .

40 minutes ago, superal said:

I think that 7 days is not long enough as there is a chance that the owner may be ill or out of town and the dog has got out of the yard , double it to 2 weeks at least to be fair and not put down an innocent dog .

Even 7 days is too long, on the streets - bang problem solved.

a few years ago i was living in bkk and used to have a few drinks at a local bar each afternoon. on the opposite side of the road they had a serious rat problem. they were everywhere. the thai bloke who owns the restaurant decided to poison them. you could see these rats could hardly move and the pack of soi dogs were onto them in no time and eating them. within a few days they kept finding dead dogs. i said to the owner. the dogs are eating your poisoned rats and are all dying. he was devastated. around 10 dogs dead within a week

On 3/15/2018 at 10:22 AM, Misterwhisper said:

I do see some sense in removing strays that are obviously sick and thus pose a danger to humans or which are aggressive and attack passers-by,.

Nevertheless, I have always greatly disliked the word "to cull" in this context, because to me it seems like a cowardly expression that is not accurately describing what is actually happening. We KILL those strays, don't we? So why do people shy away from using that word? Is it too uncomfortable? Does it trigger their conscience? Does it make them too aware that something bad is inflicted on these creatures?

When Thailand was afflicted by the avian flu outbreak almost two decades ago, I vividly recall media reports how hundreds of thousands of chickens were "culled". On occasion the reports were of course illustrated by all to graphical pictures that clearly showed us what that "culling" really involved: burying these hundreds of thousands of fowl ALIVE in huge pits. In my opinion that was not "culling" but pure cruel savagery as there surely would have been several options for killing these condemned animals more mercifully and humanely.

Yes, by all means, let's remove dangerous or infected soi dogs from our streets. But let's be clear about it that they are being killed, not "culled". And if we kill them, it should be done in a manner that causes the animals as little suffering as possible. After all, the point is not to punish the animals for merely living. It's not their fault that they got infected with rabies. It's not their fault that they were abandoned by their irresponsible former human owners and turned into aggressive beasts fending for themselves on the streets. It's not their fault that they were born as dogs.          

Cull is simply a bad Scottish accent.

3 hours ago, Squigy said:

I also have been bitten 6 times over the last year by stray dogs and I am getting sick and tired of going to the hospital to have a few shots and costing me an arm and a leg .........

Wow! Really??

Odd, as I've lived here 11 years and only been 'bitten' once whilst out and about.   (Inverted commas, as the owned dog was trying to frighten me to get at my dog, and so the bite didn't break my skin).

Six times in one year must be a record?