Should I take my passport to Bangkok with me

juice777

On 3/16/2018 at 3:07 PM, Moonlover said:

I have a small light wallet with a shoulder strap which I can wear under my shirt and is completely concealed. When I feel there is a need to carry my passport, which is not very often, that's how I do it.

Neat, simple solution.

Normally I carry a laminated copy, as suggested by Jip above.

Make sure Mummy packs you a Snack to take on your Journey, Deary me how old are you.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 3/16/2018 at 2:54 PM, juice777 said:

I am coming back on the same day or I would definitely take it. I suppose I will just have to take a bag to carry my passport in how ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Pair of shorts with good pockets mate!

I agree that even for the day trip it may be necessary.... even though I never carry mine in my day to day life in Pattaya, it is in the safe. (Apparently the actions of a 5 year old!)

I read of the odd check by the police around Sukhumvit, even stopping taxis, and that is why I recommend you take it. When I go to Bangkok I nearly always stay over one night which makes it absolutely necessary.

Edited by jacko45k

5 hours ago, Acemaker said:

Make sure Mummy packs you a Snack to take on your Journey, Deary me how old are you.

I hate walking about with one of those stupid looking 'girlie bags'. (Some call them 'man bags', even worse!)

But when I do carry my passport, which is very rarely, I like to know that it's safe and secure.

Got a problem with that!

Edited by Moonlover

On 3/17/2018 at 9:16 AM, juice777 said:

Is that so Is it credit card size and do you get your Visa done as well?

I just have a laminated data page. The visa is just a copy I carry in my wallet.

On 3/17/2018 at 9:13 AM, Jip99 said:

I have never been stopped but the laminated card is accepted at hotels - and by currency exchange booths.

When I decided to try the copy at an exchange booth I was very happy when they accepted it. Sometimes they get it right.

I just have a laminated data page. The visa is just a copy I carry in my wallet.
If I had known about this job wouldn't have gone through the hassle of getting a professional driving licence. But at least I won't have renew it. I think the British government should give them out with you passport because we don't have ID cards. I had problems in Las Vegas because they like to ID people all the time and one guy said to me what are you going to do if you win a big prize because you won't be able to claim it.

I have no idea why anyone would a) need to ask this question or b ) bother carrying their passport around with them.

The chances of getting stopped and asked for your passport are beyond remote, and even in that remotest of chance you did get stopped i am sure nothing would happen if you could not produce your passport. I have Thai drivers licence in my wallet and that has been sufficient for hotels, internal planes etc.

Passport just stays at home, would never dream of taking it out unless flying abroad.

4 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I have no idea why anyone would a) need to ask this question or b ) bother carrying their passport around with them.

The chances of getting stopped and asked for your passport are beyond remote, and even in that remotest of chance you did get stopped i am sure nothing would happen if you could not produce your passport. I have Thai drivers licence in my wallet and that has been sufficient for hotels, internal planes etc.

Passport just stays at home, would never dream of taking it out unless flying abroad.

and the chances of being involved in a RTA in LOS are "beyond remote", are they?

Need it then.

Perhaps he doesn't have a Thai drivers licence.

I don't even see what the big deal is. A money belt goes inside the trousers and isn't even visible. It's not like a passport is heavy.

Yes it's is indeed remote but it dose happened. In pattaya they have taken people to the police station if they didn't have there passports on them and I believe make them go home and get it. This would be impossible for me if I left it in pattaya also I have been asked twice in the last year both times on a bus but this was nowhere near BKK. It seems lately they are getting a lot tougher.

and the chances of being involved in a RTA in LOS are "beyond remote", are they?
Need it then.
Perhaps he doesn't have a Thai drivers licence.

I don't even see what the big deal is. A money belt goes inside the trousers and isn't even visible. It's not like a passport is heavy.
I don't even have a full English one let alone A Thai 1

Whenever I  travel to another location within Thailand (i.e. BKK to Hua Hin, Samet, Pattaya etc) I will always bring my passport. This is to remain within the law as I understand it to be... 

Which is: To either have your passport on your person or to be able to present it within a 'reasonable' time frame.

[This is what I remember the law to be].

I also carry copies (on my phone) of my Passport ID Page, Visa Page, most recent Entry stamp and TM6 card.

Only commissioned officers are trained and can legally ask for your passport (this is Pol Lt and above - So Corporals and Sergeants cannot / should not). In such case's the commissioned officers are likely to accept your photo on the phone or a photocopy. However, if they are being extremely difficult you 'should' be in a position to send someone to collect your passport on your behalf, or have it on your person.

Legalities aside,  as realistically the Police don't even know what they can and cannot ask for, especially the poorly trained non-commissioned ranks, and how would the majority of us be  able to communicate with Policeman that they legally cannot do something without causing the situation to escalate and turning it into an ego fight, and potential loss of face and unnecessary escalation of potential consequences..... 

Most Police officers will accept the photo... if not, remaining calm, showing 'other ID' such as a  Thai driving licence etc will give the Police an out - they've saved face by your complying with  requests for ID - they have little interest in pushing to see a passport unless they are trying to shake you down... in which case, if you wish to be difficult you can send someone for your passport while you tell them this and wait it out.... (remember the law [if it  hasn't changed or I'm not mistaken] is 'within a reasonable time frame' - which IMO is within an hour).

Thus: OP: Carry your passport on you for a night out in Bangkok?... Up to you !!! there is a very minimal risk of being asked for your actual Passport. How would you balance this against the risk of you getting drunk and losing your Passport?

I've just got a credit card size laminated version of it done in Jomtien 70THB.It didn't seem worth getting my visa stamp on it Because this changes 8 or 9 times a year so I had my next of kin emergency contact details on the back instead.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to Bangkok tomorrow from pattaya and back again the same night. I will be having a few beers and don't plan on Taking a bag. Its a right pain to carry my passport and I am worried about losing it. But will I get into any serious trouble I know the chances of anyone asking to see it is slim but you never know I have a UK provisional Driving licence (which I got just for ID for Thailand) and I am going to take pics of my passport will that be enough on off chance a police man ask to see it.

Take it with you, the hotel will need it. Then make a copy and keep it with you when you are walking around and keep the hotels number & address on the backside of your copy. And just keep your passport in the safe.

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, doggie1955 said:

Take it with you, the hotel will need it. Then make a copy and keep it with you when you are walking around and keep the hotels number & address on the backside of your copy. And just keep your passport in the safe.

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

i've never been asked to show my passport to the police, and i dont know anyone who has. maybe i live a boring life.

8 minutes ago, samsensam said:

i've never been asked to show my passport to the police, and i dont know anyone who has. maybe i live a boring life.

Same here

Have being pulled over a couple of times driving, Payed tea money , over 10 years coming to Thailand , never once has anyone asked me for my passport.