What IS one of the most NECESSARY English learning needs that you feel Thai women need to develop: speaking/listening, writing, or reading?

EnlightenedAtheist

What IS one of the most NECESSARY English learning needs that you feel Thai women need to develop and that really matters?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, lucjoker said:

If your thai lady speaks english ,it means she is twice as smart as you.

The smart guy learns Thai language , the lazy guy wants his wife to learn an extra language.

Verry dumb indeed .

She understands whatever you say about her ,and you have no idea what thais think or say 

about you......poor ignorant 1 language guy,555

it is certainly a good idea, and i would suggest common sense, to learn the language of the country you are living in, but as an indicator of intelligence? i dont think so.

as for the topic in question, the answer depends on what the learner requires their english for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, lucjoker said:

The smart guy learns Thai language , the lazy guy wants his wife to learn an extra language.

Verry dumb indeed .

She understands whatever you say about her ,and you have no idea what thais think or say 

Many will explain to you the Blasphemer  :smile:  the 1.000.000 of  good reasons they have not to bother to even try to learn Thai:cool:

My wife sure is smart, carries all three language skills, I have no order of preference....

No issues with not learning Thai language, yet, means my wife just conveys the positive and good comments :smile: any other comments, well as I tell her, don't worry, most times I am 6000 miles away, I cannot hear :smile:

• Like 1

On your public poll you missed one option out..................to shut the 8888 up.

And about your second option, the teachers need to learn english before they teach it, you do not say compuderrrr it is computer. When you were born you could not speak, when you approached 1 year old you learnt to say dada or mama YOU DID NOT LEARN TO SPELL IT. In my opinion teach Thai kids to say the words first until 11 years old (when they go to school in Thai schools), then teach them how to spell it. BUT they can not go home & their parents help them, shame its just the way it is. How many times do you go out & ask something & they can't say or not understand you, so I phone my Thai wife to ask them or use google translate which is not 100% but good enough. I do not have an ear for language I have an eye for maths, again at my school we chanted the times table at 10 years old, you say 9 x 6 & we know the answer straight away.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, transam said:

I don't care what Thai's say about me, a non event ...:stoner:

Oh, I corrected your English....:laugh:

Yes I also don't care what they say, I did say I don't have a good education so did you retire at 50 & almost 15 years later still travel business class, I don't care how I spell but u do 555555

9 hours ago, helloagain said:

Yes I also don't care what they say, I did say I don't have a good education so did you retire at 50 & almost 15 years later still travel business class, I don't care how I spell but u do 555555

I stopped work at 56, and bragging about an airplane seat has no impact on me whatsoever. Now if you said you can.......I would be all ears...:smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, helloagain said:

I know what Thai's think about us, they want our money & not us. This is made known every week one way or another. No we are not poor, at least I'm not, I know many that have a degree & have nothing, my education is not good but I could still afford to retire at 50 & we are still taking business class travel, but I or should I say WE have a lot.

Ignorant ? no most are not, some are , but you are thinking we all are 55555. A 1 language guy, yes I am & I do not want sdndjfigyrgt,k coming out of my mouth thank you very much.

Get over yourself..........I already have.

You say you don't want sdndjfigyrgt,k coming out of your mouth, and you thought that would not make you sound ignorant?

35 minutes ago, 473geo said:

My wife sure is smart, carries all three language skills, I have no order of preference....

No issues with not learning Thai language, yet, means my wife just conveys the positive and good comments :smile: any other comments, well as I tell her, don't worry, most times I am 6000 miles away, I cannot hear :smile:

All three language skills?  There are four!

• Like 1

Speaking and listening are by far the most important. Of course reading and writing are helpful. When I met my wife, her english skills were quite marginal. But, I could tell she was smart, and when I asked her how interested in learning english she was, she told me she was very interested. So, I sent her to a good school, where she got either one on one or at the most one on two training, for two months. She took it quite seriously, to my pleasant surprise, and when the instructor gave her three hours per night of homework, she actually did it! Sometimes four hours. And she learned quickly. Now, when I tell her a new verb, and give her the correct forms, she remembers it, and uses it. Her english continues to improve. She can also read and write, though those skills are still a little bit challenging for her. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Speaking and listening are by far the most important. Of course reading and writing are helpful. When I met my wife, her english skills were quite marginal. But, I could tell she was smart, and when I asked her how interested in learning english she was, she told me she was very interested. So, I sent her to a good school, where she got either one on one or at the most one on two training, for two months. She took it quite seriously, to my pleasant surprise, and when the instructor gave her three hours per night of homework, she actually did it! Sometimes four hours. And she learned quickly. Now, when I tell her a new verb, and give her the correct forms, she remembers it, and uses it. Her english continues to improve. She can also read and write, though those skills are still a little bit challenging for her. 

Best learned at the same time, all lessons including all four skills, that's how every language teacher has been taught to teach as otherwise you end up, like you are saying, with a disparity between the skills that is very difficult to remove.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gracas said:

If the OP's question was directed at my wife, I would say Listening.

She should learn to listen to all my statement or question before telling me I'm wrong.

The problem is in their Thai language some stuff is said back to front, so l do have to speak so so English to Mrs.Trans so she understands, but I am OK with that. Only ploblem I have is doing that with my farang chums...:stoner:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lucjoker said:

Verry dumb indeed .

I speak Thai gf speaks a lot more English but certainly not enough. You are right though many guys don't speak Thai and have lived here long. I don't think its a measure of intelligence if you can speak more then one language. Otherwise the Dutch would be far smarter then The English who in general speak one language. There is no real difference between the two countries in IQ so there goes that theory.

I can follow conversation hold conversation but am often lost if it gets specific or outside my area of knowledge. Still much to improve but better as most.

My wife is a well educated school teacher, she taught herself English. She speaks all the different thai dialects etc. She reads English and writes.

As for other women, depends on their work. Seems most women in pattaya only need and understand  'how much is the bar fine; 'how much is long time' and 'that will cost you double to put it in there !'

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I speak Thai gf speaks a lot more English but certainly not enough. You are right though many guys don't speak Thai and have lived here long. I don't think its a measure of intelligence if you can speak more then one language. Otherwise the Dutch would be far smarter then The English who in general speak one language. There is no real difference between the two countries in IQ so there goes that theory.

I can follow conversation hold conversation but am often lost if it gets specific or outside my area of knowledge. Still much to improve but better as most.

Where I am they speak Lao/Isaan....I gave up...At my age staying in my dreamer state is far more beneficial...:stoner:

3 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

My wife is a well educated school teacher, she taught herself English. She speaks all the different thai dialects etc. She reads English and writes.

As for other women, depends on their work. Seems most women in pattaya only need and understand  'how much is the bar fine; 'how much is long time' and 'that will cost you double to put it in there !'

We are all different regarding language learning skills. I am English and failed English and French...But there was other stuff I was very good at that language buffs may have a ploblem...:smile:

34 minutes ago, transam said:

Thailand is one of the Asian countries who signed up to ASEAN. Meaning they all voted to use the English language as their second language to communicate. I have personally sat in at seminars regarding ASEAN..:stoner:

And Thailand has systematically broken nearly every ASEAN related pledge and promise it has signed onto. It is as if the government feels that they are so important, so grand, so significant, that it does not matter if they sign, then ignore what they signed. They have done this hundreds of times.

It is almost as if they are thinking that this is the most important country in the world. The knowledge that where we are living is the center of the universe. A people bursting with pride, at knowing that they are at the apex of culture, finance, power, and intellectual prowess. A country with the real, true religion, and with smart and benevolent leaders, who are spending every minute, of every day trying to make life better for the common man. A vastly superior moral and ethical nature, that allows the Thai people to rise above the rest of the world, and live in absolute, and complete harmony with each other. And a grand vision for the future of this illustrious nation.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2