What IS one of the most NECESSARY English learning needs that you feel Thai women need to develop: speaking/listening, writing, or reading?

EnlightenedAtheist

What IS one of the most NECESSARY English learning needs that you feel Thai women need to develop and that really matters?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

speaking or not speaking English is not what is important.  the cultural difference here in Thailand are the big hang up. Thai's can get pretty hung up on what we consider no big deal and visa versa. East is East and West is West.  globalization has only impacted the East in a very superficial way.  

Edited by malibukid

7 hours ago, transam said:

I don't care what Thai's say about me, a non event ...:stoner:

Oh, I corrected your English....:laugh:

Yes, it is the only language you can correct .

And it is not my language, i picked it up from commercials .....and cartoons ,when i was 3 y

5 hours ago, robblok said:

I speak Thai gf speaks a lot more English but certainly not enough. You are right though many guys don't speak Thai and have lived here long. I don't think its a measure of intelligence if you can speak more then one language. Otherwise the Dutch would be far smarter then The English who in general speak one language. There is no real difference between the two countries in IQ so there goes that theory.

I can follow conversation hold conversation but am often lost if it gets specific or outside my area of knowledge. Still much to improve but better as most.

i could answer you in Dutch or German , but the watchdogs dont allow this.

How many smart guys lost their house,car, motorcycle ,monney.......to a dumb thai lady 20 (or more )years younger than themselves.......answer: a lot .

While they brag in bars how succesfull they are,they are outsmarted by any bar-lady there is.

There are exeptions , but in general .......i id not met many smart ones.

btw, i made some gramar mistakes ,for those smart Sherlocs.....

4 hours ago, Autonuaq said:

I am not sure why you claim what you say.

It just shows you totally not understand communication and interaction. About 95% of a language is the unspoken language.

Even animals who not speak the language understand what we want and speak about them.

Animals do not loose their house on a smaller species.....animal are not that dumb.......

8 hours ago, lucjoker said:

If your thai lady speaks english ,it means she is twice as smart as you.

The smart guy learns Thai language , the lazy guy wants his wife to learn an extra language.

Verry dumb indeed .

She understands whatever you say about her ,and you have no idea what thais think or say 

about you......poor ignorant 1 language guy,555

And if you have self esteem, not only you speak Thai, but you do not spend any second with an idiot not able to speak English correctly...

4 hours ago, pearciderman said:

Or maybe she went to school and was taught English for a minimum of 9 years. How many Thai lessons did you get at primary and secondary school?

None,but got 4 languages in school ......

The thai girls had also no english in school ,they had to learn it from selfish drunk farang and did succeed in it. They were" given "houses,........... Smart ladies ! Dumb Farang ?

8 hours ago, lucjoker said:

The smart guy learns Thai language , the lazy guy wants his wife to learn an extra language.

Verry dumb indeed .

She understands whatever you say about her ,and you have no idea what thais think or say 

If your lady speaks good English. She has worked the Bar a long time

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

And if you have self esteem, not only you speak Thai, but you do not spend any second with an idiot not able to speak English correctly...

Any man who can speak a second language ( or more) even not correctly ,is a smart man.

1 minute ago, lucjoker said:

Any man who can speak a second language ( or more) even not correctly ,is a smart man.

Not having a dig at any one  But the amount of guys on Thai visa that critasise Thailand about most things . Yet don’t learn Thai.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

Not having a dig at any one  But the amount of guys on Thai visa that critasise Thailand about most things . Yet don’t learn Thai.

Almost matched by the amount of idiots who think if your wife speaks acceptable English she worked in a bar 

30 years ago I stayed just out of Chiang mai with some police in a police box as there was no local hotel in the town, they wanted to practice English, they actually read English newspapers but never had the opportunity to speak English

They also played snooker didn't learn that in a bar either had a snooker hall with tiered seating and all :smile:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Almost matched by the amount of idiots who think if your wife speaks acceptable English she worked in a bar 

30 years ago I stayed just out of Chiang mai with some police in a police box as there was no local hotel in the town, they wanted to practice English, they actually read English newspapers but never had the opportunity to speak English

They also played snooker didn't learn that in a bar either had a snooker hall with tiered seating and all :smile:

Sorry, but most prostitutes speak a relatively good English just because they had/have so many English speaking customers. Please go to a local Rajabhat university and ask senior students an easy question. You won't find many students who can follow an easy conversation. 

Your police officers who read English newspapers might not be a great example. I've volunteered for the Tourist police, but haven't seen one of them being interested in reading anything that was in English.

Sorry to say that, but the Thai prostitutes are the best English speaking part of Thai society. 

I have to say wifey's English improved massively over a very short period of time but she does seem a natural (she could speak three asian languages and so so English when we met) with languages as is our daughter. I did not speak to her in pigeon English, ever and discouraged her from using it.

I am bilingual (NOT a natural it took me many years)  but not with Thai, I'm not generally encouraged to use it and find it tough to remember new vocabulary and those devilish tones but still try to improve beyond my current, fairly pitiful standard.

7 hours ago, ncc1701d said:

I have been told that the best way to not only learn but understand a new language is to learn to write it. 

As an aussie I have enough trouble with English, let  alone another language. I don’t “live” in Thailand and those going off about westerners should be learning Thai - while I agree - is not what the op is asking.

There are non-Thai speakers who would certainly agree with that.

In fact the AUA school in Bkk (maybe also their other centers), used to offer a course (maybe still do) where the students just sit and listen to 2 or 3 Thai speakers using simple then more complex sentences and more vocabulary, and I understand (could be wrong) the 'just sit and listen' sessions were every day for 60 ? days.

The the course changed totally into copying and repeating the words and phrases heard over and over with a small amount of time explaining the vocabulary.

I understand the success rate is very high. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

... But i've never seen any Thai who is able to write a longer text about anything without making lot's of spelling and grammatical mistakes...

555. My wife wrote a 137 page book in English.  In the Introduction:  "...Since I'm not a native English speaker, I thank my husband for helping correct my spelling and grammar.  Although it has driven near divorce many times, we made it. "  It was painful, but she did a good job of it.  She didn't speak English when we met.  In the U.S., she managed to get a high school equivalency diploma and took a number of community college courses.

I think thinking and understanding are essential.  The way I was taught Thai initially involved hearing and pronouncing a word or phrase, then the teacher would demonstrate what it means.  It was like a game of charades, but no English was spoken.  If you get it, you get it. My Thai is limited, but it comes right from the small Thai portion of my brain (555).  Translating into English requires some thought.

• Like 2

Thank you all for answering the question and, yes, I agree I thought of using the word "skills" Versus "needs" 5 seconds after I posted the question. No editing is possible on polls. Those who don't do anything never make any errors!

There were some very good comebacks or debates about this topic.

I should reply to the one person who mocked people who do not learn Thai and only know one language (usually Thai). While I agree that it is best to learn the language of the locals, Thais have an incredible edge (as someone mentioned) over many of us: English is the second language taught in Thailand from very early on. I doubt Thai is offered in any of the posters' countries as a second language in public schools. In fact, I could safely say that it is not. Furthermore, it is highly unfair to ask older people to master a second language --and especially one that is so different than a Western language-- at the age most expats come to live here (which is around 50, on average, I would guess). There is ton of research that indicates that --in general-- most people learn to speak another language with the correct accent if they learned before puberty when the brain and the vocal chords seem to lose their plasticity. Einstein once said to describe English as a treacherous language. Sure, some have the inclination, the talent, or the time. My hat to you. Moreover, let's not forget that some people would pay dearly to learn another language for free in other parts of the world. Expats are providing this for free. Additionally, some people --like I-- have learned English as a second language, so it is highly unfair to state that all expats are uni-lingual. Btw, most people are able to learn one language and we know that not all of us are "intelligent".  Einstein struggled with English which he said to define as "treacherous". He was much older when he learned to SPEAK English. Learning a language hinges on so many factors. If you live in Europe, learning another language is easy (as most people will travel to another country and learn by osmosis), often schools do offer third language learning options for free in public schools, speakers of a Germanic or Romance language will find it easy to learn German and/or a Romance language. English is a hybrid of the two families of language, so it is not so hard. Americans have less of a need (with 200 million + English speakers), but might learn Spanish if they live along the Mexican border or like cheap flights to Cancun or French, if they live near Quebec. Learning English for a Dutch or German speaker is very easy. They have an edge over the Romance language speakers for speaking, but Romance speakers might have an edge over them in terms of writing or reading, depending on the kind of text. As I stated earlier, even Einstein struggled with SPEAKING English, but he was much older when he came to the US. But I digress. There is no reason people cannot learn another, but there are factors that contribute and facilitate learning. Even as a first language, this is true. Studies show that the environment (education of your parents, availability of parents,...) has a huge impact. In terms of writing and reading (and reading from a text), English is almost a different language than the one that people learn to speak. Most people are fine with the consonantal sounds, but we know how irregular vowels are spelled. 

As far as the question is concerned, the poll indicates that most feel that speaking/listening skills are lacking or are needed for communication with expats. Email messages can be translated relatively easily. Of course, it is not fool-proof or foolproof, but it is much better than 20 years ago.

Of course, learning vocabulary and idioms should be part of learning a language, no matter what skills you target. It is inescapable, although it would be important to target what is required and focus on what is needed, not some vocabulary that will never be used. Some basic grammar is required, of course, but English grammar is not that difficult or contrived (compared to other languages). English, in particular, is a language that needs to be learned first orally (which would please a lot of expats, I am sure LOL) and, most Thais, are afraid to lose face, which is a great impediment to learning any language. Sadly, most public schools in Thailand spend a lot of time with writing and reading, mostly because the Thai teachers were taught in the same manner and there is the losing face culture that compound the problem. 

I thank you all for talking part in this poll. I will address more of your comments as time allows.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Sorry, but most prostitutes speak a relatively good English just because they had/have so many English speaking customers. Please go to a local Rajabhat university and ask senior students an easy question. You won't find many students who can follow an easy conversation. 

Your police officers who read English newspapers might not be a great example. I've volunteered for the Tourist police, but haven't seen one of them being interested in reading anything that was in English.

Sorry to say that, but the Thai prostitutes are the best English speaking part of Thai society. 

No need to apologise for lack of knowledge, I have travelled extensively in Thailand through the years and never had any issues with people failing to understand English and engage in conversation.

I am real sure the hotel receptionists (who often excel in English considering it is a second language) would be very pleased with your explanation regarding English speaking females in Thailand.

Really you have never met a policeman interested in English football, I know one that runs a website regarding Tottenham

If you can split writing and reading why not split listening and speaking?

Most women I have known are fine at speaking but don't listen (not just Thai).

Even when you explain logically in detail and they tell you they understand, it is a pointless exercise unless you agree with them at the end of the conversation.

Speaking the language is an advantage, but it is no solution.

Ziggy husband and wife news.docx

18 hours ago, lucjoker said:

Verry dumb indeed .

Hmm, have you ever thought that you might be a very insecure Person who cares rather to much about what people might say or think about him? how sad, if a Thai woman speaks good English it is more often than not because she has  led rather a colourful life, you may interpret that as you see fit.

17 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Who is "us?"

What do "us" have to offer other than money?

If you came to Thailand to find a woman, what exactly were you looking for that you couldn't find ( or found but couldn't have) back in Farang Land?

There are certainly a lot of farang in Thailand, at least many of those who post on Thai Visa, who I would not want, even only as a friend,  even if their "friendship" came with a substantial monthly stipend.

It's sadly amusing how many farang come to a developing country because they think their money will get them what they can't have at home and then think they're the ones being exploited.

There are none so Blind as those who cannot see, you are a Gullible Fool, you do not have to be a Genius to know that Money is the Number 1 attraction to Thai Women, take your Head out of the Sand, what makes you think that your any different, as for being your Friend, No thanks, i see to many of your kind with their Thai Wives Shopping in Rinping etc being led around like Sheep as she fills her Trolley with your hard earned Money.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Acemaker said:

There are none so Blind as those who cannot see, you are a Gullible Fool, you do not have to be a Genius to know that Money is the Number 1 attraction to Thai Women, take your Head out of the Sand, what makes you think that your any different, as for being your Friend, No thanks, i see to many of your kind with their Thai Wives Shopping in Rinping etc being led around like Sheep as she fills her Trolley with your hard earned Money.

So you are not in LOS, or are but a loner.....?  bored.gif.76b6e28c47f372a0c153cf54e164f02c.gif

45 minutes ago, KKr said:

can we have a course in "Listening" only ?

Well, we can, but they are of the boring type and the pedagogy is suspect at best. Many have had to endure them. Many university professors lecture. That's what it is, essentially. There might be the odd times when they write on the board and so it becomes a reading activity. LOL It is hard to call this "teaching" though. There are the odd times when students ask questions to make it more interactive. LOL University teaching is a bit of a joke.

On 3/17/2018 at 5:31 PM, jenny2017 said:

Where to start? You truly are clueless and useless.

"speak a relatively",  why do you have the "a" in there?

"senior students", do you know how university years are named, it would appear not.

"follow an easy conversation", are you sure you meant follow?

Saved the best until last, " Sorry to say that, but the Thai prostitutes are the best English speaking part of Thai society. ", this statement alone should preclude you from ever living here, commenting on life here and anything to do with learning English.

• Like 1