What IS one of the most NECESSARY English learning needs that you feel Thai women need to develop: speaking/listening, writing, or reading?

EnlightenedAtheist

What IS one of the most NECESSARY English learning needs that you feel Thai women need to develop and that really matters?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 3/17/2018 at 12:36 PM, Kieran00001 said:

I believe in other countries they have ASEAN meetings where they discuss what to raise at the next summit, rather than what Thailand does, raise lots of flags, parade a few farangs and eat lots of cake.

Why on earth would an ASEAN country parade white foreigners?

As with any language learner it depends on their goals. For immigration purposes they will need all four skills. In general speaking and listening are the priority for communication - reading and writing if pursuing academic goals. 

On 3/17/2018 at 9:12 AM, samsensam said:

it is certainly a good idea, and i would suggest common sense, to learn the language of the country you are living in, but as an indicator of intelligence? i dont think so.

i would say it is. What a nightmare, living in Thailand for years as an illiterate, dragging your poor woman everywhere you go.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

i would say it is. What a nightmare, living in Thailand for years as an illiterate, dragging your poor woman everywhere you go.

You really believe that people like myself, who accept they cannot hold an in depth conversation in Thai, do not carry enough phrases to get by without constant assistance

When somebody asked my son how he would manage on a visit to England if he did not speak good English he replied........"I can point"  :smile:

In over 20 years in Thailand, I have never been interested in dating someone with whom I am unable to converse freely. My Wife's English, while not flawless is fluent. 

I have a number of Thai friends most of whom were educated overseas and speak fluent English and also have become friends with their friends some of whom struggle with English.

It is with those friends whose English is a struggle where I fall down. It is this aspect of my life in Thailand which has me wishing I had not been so lazy in the past. 

Getting by in a restaurant, taxi, shopping mall etc and in basic conversation, humorous conversation etc is one thing, however, I find the next level a difficult step, one which I am too lazy to take and hence rightly or wrongly so I expect my Wife to be able to communicate with me at this 'native' level. 

Thus, in answer to the OP's questions: 

1) Needs: English Speaking, Reading and Writing need to be excellent (speaking clearly takes priority)

2) Would I pay? No... because I wouldn't entertain the idea of starting a relationship with someone who I couldn't communicate with fluently. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

2) Would I pay? No... because I wouldn't entertain the idea of starting a relationship with someone who I couldn't communicate with fluently. 

I have a feeling that the ladies who can speak fluently are going to know there are worth a whole lot more than the ones who are not as good as her. If you are an ugly, old man, ... they are going to hope for some security sooner than later and they will want the best. Sometimes, a diamond in the rough is better than an expensive diamond, but if you have the means to buy the best, then you will get the trophy wife.

13 hours ago, 473geo said:

You really believe that people like myself, who accept they cannot hold an in depth conversation in Thai, do not carry enough phrases to get by without constant assistance

When somebody asked my son how he would manage on a visit to England if he did not speak good English he replied........"I can point"  :smile:

Your son doesn't speak English, and you don't speak fluent Thai? Weird.

Who wants to learn Thai?

Doing the people here a better service by teaching them English.

One very big differece, in Thailand, between the top people and the farm workers is their English skills

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Who wants to learn Thai?

Doing the people here a better service by teaching them English.

One very big differece, in Thailand, between the top people and the farm workers is their English skills

Ever head of multi-tasking?

I wanted to learn Thai for a multitude of reasons.  I would say who wants to remain illiterate? not able to understand signs, read the local news, talk to their neighbours, tell the barber what you want, explain the kind of massage you like, how you like you food, taking your car to the garage, talking to your kids' teachers, talking with monks, everyday normal things.

2 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

I wanted to learn Thai for a multitude of reasons.  I would say who wants to remain illiterate? not able to understand signs, read the local news, talk to their neighbours, tell the barber what you want, explain the kind of massage you like, how you like you food, taking your car to the garage, talking to your kids' teachers, talking with monks, everyday normal things.

Good for you J.

I personally have long passed the frustration stage where I wanted to understand anything.  Anyway a lot of the time i have my translator with me. 

Teach the Thai's basic English. Help them. The schools don't.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Often one big difference between obnoxious Thai people and pleasant Thai people is their English language skills.

4 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Hi Transam- does seem a bit odd, was this done out of choice or something. Maybe you were not around in his younger years? 

Weeeell, the UK police have to use a thing called I think "language line"..In the UK there are many that now live there but do not speak or understand English so a translator is always at hand to help them out dealing with stuff..To me it is not weird, just the way it is..

13 minutes ago, transam said:

I do...But you said it was "weird"..:stoner:

Well, are your kids bilingual? I said it was weird the guy implying that his son could point if he went to England.  I do have a friend who chose not to speak English with his son, as his wife spoke no English, but he was obviously fluent in Thai. 

1 minute ago, Johnniey said:

Well, are your kids bilingual? I said it was weird the guy implying that his son could point if he went to England.  I do have a friend who chose not to speak English with his son, as his wife spoke no English, but he was obviously fluent in Thai. 

We are all different in our capabilities regarding anything, including languages.

I can accept that...:stoner:.

3 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

So your half Thai/British kids are not bilingual? 

I don't have Thai/British kids, I have brought up Thai kids listening to me and mum speaking English, because it was easier for Mrs.Trans to learn/understand what I was talking about. The kids picked up understanding English but talking it was a different matter...All is coooool, and definitely not weird...:stoner:

6 minutes ago, transam said:

I don't have Thai/British kids, I have brought up Thai kids listening to me and mum speaking English, because it was easier for Mrs.Trans to learn/understand what I was talking about. The kids picked up understanding English but talking it was a different matter...All is coooool, and definitely not weird...:stoner:

Fair enough, I was confused as earlier you said you did have farang/Thai kids. It wasn't you that I was actually talking about saying it was weird.

On 3/18/2018 at 1:12 PM, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Well, we can, but they are of the boring type and the pedagogy is suspect at best. Many have had to endure them. Many university professors lecture. That's what it is, essentially. There might be the odd times when they write on the board and so it becomes a reading activity. LOL It is hard to call this "teaching" though. There are the odd times when students ask questions to make it more interactive. LOL University teaching is a bit of a joke.

AUA once told me that their classes involved listening only. I said forget it, I'll watch the telly for free.

On 17/03/2018 at 10:47 AM, transam said:

Thailand is one of the Asian countries who signed up to ASEAN. Meaning they all voted to use the English language as their second language to communicate. I have personally sat in at seminars regarding ASEAN..:stoner:

Since the official language of ASEAN is English I believe all signs - roads, shops, information, etc. should be bilingual.  It would certainly be proof of compliance with the ASEAN charter.  Here if you install an English sign for your place of business you are, in effect penalized, and charged a premium of between 6.7 and 13.3 times the cost of a Thai only sign.  Certainly undermining the spirit of ASEAN and discouraging the use of English!.

Excerpt from https://www.mazars.co.th/Home/Doing-Business-in-Thailand/Tax/Signboard-Tax-in-Thailand

1. Signboards that display only Thai words are taxed at the rate of Baht 3 per 500 square centimeters;

2. Signboards displaying both Thai and foreign words and/or pictures are taxed at Baht 20 per 500 square centimeters;

3. Signboards that display foreign words alone with a picture or logo are taxed at Baht 40 per 500 square centimeters; and

4. Signboards that display foreign words alone or have Thai words below the foreign words are taxed at Baht 40 per 500 square centimeters.