What IS one of the most NECESSARY English learning needs that you feel Thai women need to develop: speaking/listening, writing, or reading?

EnlightenedAtheist

What IS one of the most NECESSARY English learning needs that you feel Thai women need to develop and that really matters?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why is it that nearly everybody believes it necessary to only read, write, listen/speak when learning a language?  The major component is to think in the target language.  Without that the whole process can be forgotten.

By the way, helloagain, please adjust your spelling and drop the apostrophe because what you have written is incorrect.

1 hour ago, helloagain said:

Thai's

2 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

Why is it that nearly everybody believes it necessary to only read, write, listen/speak when learning a language?  The major component is to think in the target language.  Without that the whole process can be forgotten.

By the way, helloagain, please adjust your spelling and drop the apostrophe because what you have written is incorrect.

I did that too....:laugh:

11 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Where I agree with what you are saying, I would disagree with any teaching method where grammar takes over the importance of communication in the teaching of any language at conversation level.

Absolutely.  I missed where the OP lives or intends to enrol his wife, but assuming it is Thailand then your point is very much relevant, I believe most Thai schools still use grammar translation.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, transam said:

Thailand is one of the Asian countries who signed up to ASEAN. Meaning they all voted to use the English language as their second language to communicate. I have personally sat in at seminars regarding ASEAN..:stoner:

Thailand is the only Asian country who signed up to ASEAN who keeps holding these seminars where nothing is said regarding ASEAN but a few white skinned people are paraded in attempt to look worldly.

3 hours ago, lucjoker said:

If your thai lady speaks english ,it means she is twice as smart as you.

The smart guy learns Thai language , the lazy guy wants his wife to learn an extra language.

Verry dumb indeed .

She understands whatever you say about her ,and you have no idea what thais think or say 

about you......poor ignorant 1 language guy,555

Or maybe she went to school and was taught English for a minimum of 9 years. How many Thai lessons did you get at primary and secondary school?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Thailand is the only Asian country who signed up to ASEAN who keeps holding these seminars where nothing is said regarding ASEAN but a few white skinned people are paraded in attempt to look worldly.

Rubbish..

I have been told that the best way to not only learn but understand a new language is to learn to write it. 

As an aussie I have enough trouble with English, let  alone another language. I don’t “live” in Thailand and those going off about westerners should be learning Thai - while I agree - is not what the op is asking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Thailand is one of the Asian countries who signed up to ASEAN. Meaning they all voted to use the English language as their second language to communicate. I have personally sat in at seminars regarding ASEAN..:stoner:

Actually English is the official working language of ASEAN and as such, it is the first language of ASEAN, not the second.

"WHAT IS ONE OF THE MOST NECESSARY ENGLISH LEARNING NEEDS THAT YOU FEEL THAI WOMEN NEED TO DEVELOP AND THAT REALLY MATTERS?  "

Which is the most important of the 4 English language skills? Listening, speaking, reading or writing.

There you go, fixed the appalling English in your title.

:-)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, helloagain said:

On your public poll you missed one option out..................to shut the 8888 up.

And about your second option, the teachers need to learn english before they teach it, you do not say compuderrrr it is computer. When you were born you could not speak, when you approached 1 year old you learnt to say dada or mama YOU DID NOT LEARN TO SPELL IT. In my opinion teach Thai kids to say the words first until 11 years old (when they go to school in Thai schools), then teach them how to spell it. BUT they can not go home & their parents help them, shame its just the way it is. How many times do you go out & ask something & they can't say or not understand you, so I phone my Thai wife to ask them or use google translate which is not 100% but good enough. I do not have an ear for language I have an eye for maths, again at my school we chanted the times table at 10 years old, you say 9 x 6 & we know the answer straight away.

Very confusing...... Are you saying kids go to school at 11 years old or that they finish school at 11. Either way you are wrong. 

Why should it be necessary for her to speak english? (Considering she is living in Thailand)

If she considered english to be relevant in her life she would at least be able to read and speak english already.

I think many Thais (i'm talking about Thais who grew up in Thailand) are able to speak and read english. But i've never seen any Thai who is able to write a longer text about anything without making lot's of spelling and grammatical mistakes. The problem is that this is never taught in school. So if you plan to open a language school i would focus on professional adults who rely on written correspondence using English language and who want to become more proficient in it.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

I believe in other countries they have ASEAN meetings where they discuss what to raise at the next summit, rather than what Thailand does, raise lots of flags, parade a few farangs and eat lots of cake.

It was different a couple of years ago when Thai students at my former school had to learn how to sing the ASEAN Anthem in English. ASEAN camps and other activities had to be prepared and conducted, etc.. Now you seldom hear anything about ASEAN at all. 

4 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I believe in other countries they have ASEAN meetings where they discuss what to raise at the next summit, rather than what Thailand does, raise lots of flags, parade a few farangs and eat lots of cake.

Well as you were obviously not at the seminars I attended I cannot see how you can comment..

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

We North Americans have to study English for 12 years before we can study at a university level. I was humbled when I started 2nd year English because I realized how little I actually knew.

Some Thai teachers are very efficient in English grammar, but they can't put one sentence together without making a mistake. 

2 hours ago, lucjoker said:

The smart guy learns Thai language , the lazy guy wants his wife to learn an extra language.

Verry dumb indeed .

She understands whatever you say about her ,and you have no idea what thais think or say 

I am not sure why you claim what you say.

It just shows you totally not understand communication and interaction. About 95% of a language is the unspoken language.

Even animals who not speak the language understand what we want and speak about them.

3 hours ago, lucjoker said:

Verry dumb indeed .

It just shows you totally not understand communication and interaction. About 95% of a language is the unspoken language.

Even animals who not speak the language understand what we want and speak about them.

• Sad 1

,No of the choice above i would select.

First you and her he need to understand the background of each other.

Most problem are because the other not understand the background and feel offended when it was not the case.

Many thai feel offended because they not understand the background.

To learn a language a baby also not goes to school. 

Just takes time, patients and repeat. 

Most thai can learn a language basic in 3 months and in 1m5 uears enaoigh to handle them.if you are eilling to spent time and patient.

Some can not and has nothing to do with being smart or stupid they just need much longer time.

Accept you are teaching a baby. And that takes time to learn the sounds and speech before it can talk.

Reading and writing come later.

In average 1.5 to 3 years does it take to let some one to speak and start thinkng in an other langugae.

No school needed just intreraction like a cild has ans being patient

14 minutes ago, Autonuaq said:

95 % is the unspoken language? What does your last sentence actually mean? Do animals speak about us? 

• Like 1

What about a survey to ask which Thai skill (reading, writing, listening comprehension or conversation) the farang who come here long-ter,m / marry a Thai lady should learn?

Learn some Thai, as many others will tell you, it opens doors, it makes daily living much more easy and pleasant and it means you can have detailed meaningful conversations, especially and importantly with your loved ones.

The Mrs speaks English very well as in our house the main language used is English.  

I speak thai a little, surprising how much you learn without ever having done any classes. I rarely speak English when out and about. 

I wish my Mrs asked more questions.