PM urges Thais to wear period costumes for outings

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, baboon said:

Just what is it with the love of silly hats in this part of the world? 

It's that Indo-Chinese macho thing whereby, after wearing the silly hat, you then sit on it, whilst preserving your calm, manly bearing.

Edited by Ossy
omisson

3 hours ago, DefaultName said:

About 100 years ago, traditional dress had the norks out (or so I've read, I wasn't actually there).  Bring that back please, would save me a fortune in gogos.  :tongue:

Traditional dress is on the left.  I have no problem with traditional Thai dress at all.  :whistling:

Thai_culture_poster.PNG.24dee8c5200a5651f465d26526d20251.PNG

23 hours ago, mark01 said:

He needs to give his head a shake.

What next? Burning books? Or maybe he wants to follow Cambodia's recent history.

Because wearing traditional dress leads to genocide?  How utterly idiotic.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2018 at 12:10 PM, Denim said:

A hundred years from now many Thai ladies will look back nostalgically to the tiny cut off jeans so popular in Thailands these days.

Writing this though Denim, I wonder if there are any Thai ladies one could convince today; in 2561 - that "period costumes" originated in Transylvania - a hundred years ago? :ohmy:

6 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Not over here, it doesn't! :smile:

not my comment!!!...but explain yours please...as I am interested why you feel Thailand does not evolve..

Edited by mok199
speliing

8 minutes ago, mok199 said:
10 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Not over here, it doesn't! :smile:

explain please..

I took that to mean the culture here is stagnant and unchanging.  I don't agree, as I see the teens embracing their own styles and they have no love for ancient traditions unless it's forced upon them by their parents.

Edited by attrayant
typo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, attrayant said:

I took that to mean the culture here is stagnant and unchanging.  I don't agree, as I see the teens embracing their own styles and they have no love for ancient traditions unless it's forced upon them by their parents.

yes fashion has its own momentum,in my humble opinion i find thais feircly loyal and protctive of their country  and culture ,but loyalty and respect are different...if only the average thai would respect this once amazing thaland as much as the love it...because they are loving thailand to death...have a good day sir

On 18/03/2018 at 5:02 PM, SupermarineS6B said:

I wonder if they want to go back to the time when all Thais were slaves for a few years..?    Oh, can i say that ?  ( Which wasn't that long ago) 

You may well have a point. The adoption of western dress was a royal initiative to modernise the country in the face of the western colonial threat, and went along with the abolition of slavery, polygamy, and prostration before the King. So in the Thai mind they may well be linked, albeit at a subconcious level. I'm sure the Amart look back fondly on the old days, which might explain this sudden passion for traditional dress.

• Thanks 1

National pride can, sometimes, be a good thing, but considering past events carried out by an unelected dictator, who forcibly rules the nation,  I tend to consider his statement, as yet another slap on the faces of most Thais.

Yet more indoctrination comes to mind.

What next? When and how should people breath?

OK, an exaggerated statement, but the point is, people want Democracy. What to wear is far from important.

If he cared about national pride, then maybe he should consider giving the people what they really want, not what he thinks they want?

Just a thought.

• Thanks 1