‘Malaysian Iceman’ faces death penalty in Thailand

webfact

‘Malaysian Iceman’ faces death penalty in Thailand

BANGKOK: A Johor-born man, famously known by the Malaysian media as “Mr T” or the “Malaysian Iceman”, could be staring at the death penalty for drug smuggling.

He is alleged to have tried to smuggle in 282kg of “Ice” or crystal methaphetamine into Malaysia two years ago. Tan Hun Seong and three of his accomplices have been formally charged in a Thai court which, besides the death penalty, also provides life imprisonment upon conviction.

According to court documents, “Mr T” in his mid-60s, a 69-year-old Taiwanese man known as “Jimmy” and two Thai women would be making an appearance at the Bangkok Criminal Court for their trial beginning May.

Full story: https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2018/03/19/msian-iceman-faces-death-penalty-in-thailand/

-- The Star 2018-03-19

10 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

The last executions were in 2009.

It's on the books but not enforced in practice; so getting the death penalty here doesn't mean much. It has some symbolic value I suppose, indicating the severity of the crime.

11 hours ago, BobBKK said:

As there is no 'death penalty' why use the term?

Sensationalism.

• Like 1

Just now, nausea said:

It's on the books but not enforced in practice; so getting the death penalty here doesn't mean much. It has some symbolic value I suppose, indicating the severity of the crime.

Sensationalism.

Getting the death penalty means in any country that you can't get pardoned or get probation.

Apparently, the death penalty is still, "on the books", possible. But it is no longer Mandatory:

"Importantly, the death penalty is no longer mandatory for traffickers or producers of Class 1 narcotic for the purpose of disposal.  The judge can now assess every case on its own merits - and can give a life sentence or the death penalty."

Amendment to Article 65 (2):  change of penalty to be less punitive for "the sale of drugs":

"Old Act
Death Penalty

Amendments
Life imprisonment and a fine of 1 million baht - 5 million baht, or death penalty."

If it is true that the death penalty is rarely or never applied, I would be interested in reading a source for this.

The sources for the above quotes I can provide if it is not against the rules on this forum.

5 hours ago, Fish Head Soup said:

But you can still get bail after being handed the death penalty.

Indeed I missed that one.

Wonder what happened to those policemen in Kalasin that a few year ago got bailed the day after they received the death sentence.

On 3/19/2018 at 8:50 AM, StayinThailand2much said:

Capital punishment is a legal penalty in Thailand.

Under the Penal Code, the death sentence can be imposed as punishment for 35 crimes, including murder and drug trafficking. Thailand is one of 58 countries that sanction capital punishment.

Prisoners who receive the death sentence can appeal for a royal pardon.

Bang Kwang Central Prison houses Thailand's death row for men and execution chamber. Klong Prem Central Prison houses the female convicts who have been sentenced to death.

In 2003 Thailand adopted lethal injection as the official method of execution. The last executions were in 2009.

(Source: Wikipedia)

Exactly - they don't do it so why impose it just another 'face' thing.