Car Crashs into the Moat

snoop1130

Car Crashs into the Moat

by CityNews

S__13295628-1024x768.jpg

CityNews – A car crashed into the moat after a red songtaew allegedly cut into the drivers lane forcing him to make an emergency turn.

At around midnight on 20th March, a car crashed into the moat near Tha Pae Gate. The car was half submerged when the police arrived, but the driver was safe.

The driver, 27 year old Chaiwat Puttapimpa told police that he was on his way home when a red songtaew cut into his lane without looking, forcing him to make an emergency turn to avoid a collision. After turning, he mounted the footpath where two foreign tourists had to jump out of the way, with one jumping in the moat to avoid being hit. The car then crashed into the moat.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/car-crashs-moat/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2018-3-21

Songtaews do that all the time, those drivers think they're above the law...or don't even have a driverslicense. I don't understand why they don't have to stay on the left lane. But it's the same for big citybuses, they also don't care for anybody else.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thian said:

Songtaews do that all the time, those drivers think they're above the law...or don't even have a driverslicense. I don't understand why they don't have to stay on the left lane. But it's the same for big citybuses, they also don't care for anybody else.

Further, I learned a long time ago, many of these song taew drivers never check what's around them before they move off, change lanes, and more. Best is to anticipate they that they have not checked anything when they start to move or at any time, just keep clear of them.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, merlin2002 said:

Around midnight, so the driver was probably pissed and lost control. I bet he wasn't breathalyzed by the police...

I'm sure his dash cam will what what really happened ! More likely he tried to copy the Man with the golden gun bridge jump in Thai style - without a bridge !

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Thian said:

Driver's license or no driver's license, where is the difference ?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, merlin2002 said:

Around midnight, so the driver was probably pissed and lost control. I bet he wasn't breathalyzed by the police...

I spent many years driving in Chiang Mai and those songtaew are a real menace.  I have seen dozens of accidents involving them but....  Anyone who drives regularly in Chiang Mai knows what they are like and you drive accordingly.  No point in trying to second guess the circumstances here. T.I.T.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JOC said:

Welcome to Thailand.....The land of extremely skilled drivers....:coffee1:

Skilled divers more like.

Anyway this is a rights of passage thing in Chiang Mai, everyone has to drive their car into the moat at least once otherwise you're not whole.

6 minutes ago, midas said:

I always thought the moat was much deeper than that?:blink:

It's very deep, he's standing on top of a whole bunch of submerged cars.

EDIT: great minds and all that.ha ha

Edited by simoh1490
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

How deep did you think that it was ?

Chiang Mai is famous for the moat that encircles the old city.  On those long hot days in the dry season, cooling off in that body of water might seem like a good idea. After half a dozen large bottles of the local beer, it might seem like a great one.

The thing is that the moat is deep. Like, several metres deep in parts.

https://landlopers.com/2012/04/17/travel-chiang-mai

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

If it was there would have been be a lot of drownings over the years.All in the planning:smile:

" Blinky Bill "  said threre have been :blink:

Lots of people have drowned in the moat over the years during Songkran.