Walking Street attackers tell their side of the story as Pattaya police dish out 2,500 baht fine

Jonathan Fairfield

Walking Street attackers tell their side of the story as Pattaya police dish out 2,500 baht fine

PP.jpg.6f419f06f2ae145dd5dddfb413ba53d0.

The men who attacked a foreigner outside Linda Beer Bar in Walking Street have been arrested and have told their side of the story to Pattaya station chief Apichai Krobpetch.

It was all over two bottles of beer.

The Thais have given some wais and apologized to society and Pattaya. 

Pattaya cops moved swiftly to arrest Thanawat Khonyang, 38 and his buddy Nakorn Khamsuk, 35 who are CD sellers in Walking Street.

Earlier the clip of the fight - two on one - caused a large amount of comment on social media as once again the image of Pattaya came under the spotlight.

This time the Thais had plenty to say in their defense - the crux was that the foreigner started it even though they admitted assault and going over the top due to anger.

dn.png

Image: Daily News

Here is Thanawat's story:

He said that he sells CDs outside Family Mart. The foreigner and his Thai girlfriend emerged from the shop with a beer each. They had not finished their beverage and asked to leave the bottles by his stall and they would come back for them. 

He said the bottles were in the way of the stall so he moved them next to a power pole. Next the Thai female came back alone and removed the bottles and disappeared.

Then the foreigner came back and said "Where's my beer?" Thanawat said that the woman had taken them off with her and this was when the foreigner lost his rag.

"He wanted me to buy him more beer," said Thanawat, who added that he was not going to do that as it was hardly his responsibility. This enraged the foreigner more and he pushed the Thai and poked him in the eye. 

Then a fight broke out with Thanawat's friend helping him out as the foreigner was bigger than him.

"I'm sorry for what I did," said Thanawat, "but he started it".

Further apologies to society and Pattaya, in that order, followed along with assurances that he would not do such a thing again.

A fine of 2,500 baht was given, half of what was possible under the law as an admission had been forthcoming.

The Daily News report did not make it clear whether both men were fined or just Thanawat.

The Pattaya cops want to speak to the foreigner and his girlfriend - neither of whom have been named. Further charges could follow but Pol Col Apichai promised "justice for all concerned" no matter what. 

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-21
  • Confused 1

Wasn't long ago after American and watch sellers had an disagreement that the army stated they were going to clean up the people selling fake watches and other material, Well done army I still see the same fake watch seller come into bar 2-3 times  a day in space of 4 hours I'm there, he even supplies other watch sellers got a bike full of the crap

• Like 2