Thai Police push for a 12 points and you’re out system for driving licenses

rooster59

It operates effectively in the West. But here? Who issues the points deduction? The courts? The police at the roadside?

Apprehension!. Another chance to make money. Pull me over say ( falsely) "You drive too fast, I give you points" which of course can be deleted after a "donation".

Two points are deducted for running the red light or driving in the wrong direction, while three points are deducted for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics or a hit-and-run.

Unbelievable. Three points for killing 20 people. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

How many points do drivers get when someone riding in a pickup tray gets killed when the vehicle rolls?

.5 points and a 500 bath fine.

Show your panties and get 10,000 baht fine and national publicity.

• Haha 1

UK equivalent. Immediate minimum 12 month ban for drink driving.

minimum 3 points for speeding, hit and run, running red light, no licence, bald tyre (3 points each!) using phone in driver’s seat whilst stopped, careless driving, dangerous driving etc.

6 points for using phone while moving, but if within two years of getting licence, instant ban.

If 12 points within 3 years, minimum 6 month ban.

if you drive whilst banned, get arrested and can go to prison. 

All accompanied by heavy fines and possible prison time.

Why Thailand needs lesser penalties I don’t know. Lax laws and enforcement won’t reduce road deaths.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Interesting. Half the population dont even have a licence to start with. For a points system to work it would mean the cops would actually have to police traffic, which I dont see happening anytime soon, given their total inability to date in doing so.

Plus the points being discussed here are laughably low. Drunk driving should be a ban. here at three points a time you can do it four times before you reach 12 points. How does that improve safety?

You're thinking logically. How do you propose passing that on to any Thai person?

• Haha 1

Then Thais will simply drive without licenses.  A good percentage already do. 
This will be another law on the books that isn't enforced. 
"You drive and no have license.  400 THB fine!!!"
That fine becomes the price of driving without a license.  Easy.

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

My vehicle is registered in my wife's name. So any offences caught on camera, eg speeding, the ticket comes to our home address. She has a license but never drives. So how will that work?

Perfectly ???

Well I wonder where he got this idea from ?

Guess what the Junta just went to that big Nanny country called Australia & I bet it was from there

Lets hope he doesn't get his hands on the book containing the REAL points / fines system

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Well I wonder where he got this idea from ?

Guess what the Junta just went to that big Nanny country called Australia & I bet it was from there

And got nicked for speeding...5170.gif.e9d2c0b6359dc87d5752c49d432ec729.gif

What is the "point" if most of them don't have licences already, i.e. 200-400 baht fine and off they go driving again, most of the fine if not all goes straight into their pockets.

Unless the corruption stops, and the force is prepared to be on the roads instead of in the office, no chance in this becoming effective.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Interesting. Half the population dont even have a licence to start with. For a points system to work it would mean the cops would actually have to police traffic, which I dont see happening anytime soon, given their total inability to date in doing so.

Plus the points being discussed here are laughably low. Drunk driving should be a ban. here at three points a time you can do it four times before you reach 12 points. How does that improve safety?

You are perfectly right 

This system are just telling Thai people they can drive 4 times mao so now it is llegal to drink and drive 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

You are perfectly right 

This system are just telling Thai people they can drive 4 times mao so now it is llegal to drink and drive 

Legal or not,  for many it doesn't make any difference.

Lived in China 10+ years.  They have a point system. Violations caught on traffic camera speeding,illegal parking etc. So if a driver is close to 

max points and losing license they find a family member or friend or? Who has drivers license with no or little points or may not even have a car go pay fine and they get some money. 

That worked for awhile not the camera shows the driver and no way around it. 

China drunk drivers law. Zero tolerance. A friend had 1 beer at local pub (yes pub owned by Brit) and stopped by police. Lost license 6 months and had to go to traffic school. He was lucky in one aspect they could have put him in jail for i thin 15 days. 

But they have have a pretty cool service. If your out drinking call the service a person with license and good driving capabilities comes where you are on small bicycle. Puts bicycle in trunk (boot). Takes 

you home pay a small fixed/published price and they hop on the bicycle and on their way. 

I lived out 4 kilometers in area with nothing near it. Felt sorry for the guy 

off he went. car and I were home safely 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Why not send a 100 man delegation off to OZ & learn how it's done.

Driving under the influence is 8 points under a certain level.

Problem I see here is the prisons cannot hold them all

Are Ozies farangs? What would they know?