Let employer cancel WP or cancel it myself

I finish my contract next week. The admin girl said that I can give the WP to her and that she would cancel it. 

Is there any reason to do it myself and keep the cancelled WP. Or do they take it in either situations?

We are moving to a new province and I opened up a new bank account down there last week prior to the cancellation of my WP. Is there any other uses for the WP? Ive paid off my car finance recently using the WP. 

edit: what about if I later want to apply for Thai citizenship? Do I need the old WP?

thanks

Edited by ubonr1971

The cancelled permit is not returned to you, but you are given a receipt which you might need. You can do it yourself, with no requirement for anything from the employer.  I cancelled mine a few days ago.

A caveat if you are in Bangkok: A few months back there was a guy on here from Bangkok who said that the Labour Dept. there would not let him do it himself. Allow an extra day if that turns out to be true.  In the months leading upto my own cancellation I kept a close eye on this forum, and only saw this single reference on this point.

4 minutes ago, allane said:

The cancelled permit is not returned to you, but you are given a receipt which you might need. You can do it yourself, with no requirement for anything from the employer.  I cancelled mine a few days ago.

A caveat if you are in Bangkok: A few months back there was a guy on here from Bangkok who said that the Labour Dept. there would not let him do it himself. Allow an extra day if that turns out to be true.  In the months leading upto my own cancellation I kept a close eye on this forum, and only saw this single reference on this point.

Thanks. I might try to do it myself first and get that receipt. Do I simply take my id and the letter from my employer- which I will also be showing immigration? 

5 hours ago, merijn said:

If you are on extension based on the workpermit you will need the labor office WP cancellation slip in order to cancel your extension as required on the same day.

Most immigration offices have not interest in the work permit being canceled since it is not their responsibility. 

The only time they are interested in a work permit is to apply for an extension since it is a requirement to have one. 

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Most immigration offices have not interest in the work permit being canceled since it is not their responsibility. 

The only time they are interested in a work permit is to apply for an extension since it is a requirement to have one. 

Correct but the immigration office (at least in Phuket) will require the WP cancellation slip before they will cancel the extension.

As you know the extension should be officially cancelled on the same day the WP is cancelled.

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If Im cancelling the ext of stay based on employment and moving to a 60 day ext of stay based on marriage / baby do you think I will not need that evidence of WP cancellation. I wonder if I should ask my wife to call that office before we go there as its a bit of a drive there...

21 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

If Im cancelling the ext of stay based on employment and moving to a 60 day ext of stay based on marriage / baby do you think I will not need that evidence of WP cancellation. I wonder if I should ask my wife to call that office before we go there as its a bit of a drive there...

You should ask the immigration office involved as there can be some differences.

Phuket immigration will require the WP cancellation slip in order to cancel the extension (based on work) and issue the 60 day family extension.

31 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

Which office?

It depends upon the office you are doing it at. 

• Like 1

Ubon Joe, I too respectively beg to differ. Relying on your previous advice I walked into Kap Cheung (Surin) Immigration last wek to change my Reason for Stay from "Working" to "Retirement". The first thing that they did was tell me to go and cancel my Work Permit.

7 minutes ago, allane said:

Ubon Joe, I too respectively beg to differ. Relying on your previous advice I walked into Kap Cheung (Surin) Immigration last wek to change my Reason for Stay from "Working" to "Retirement". The first thing that they did was tell me to go and cancel my Work Permit.

As I wrote beforeit depends upon the office. Most don't want it.

In your case they might of been concerned you would continue to work if it was not canceled.

14 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

Thanks. I might try to do it myself first and get that receipt. Do I simply take my id and the letter from my employer- which I will also be showing immigration? 

And obviously keep some photocopies of every page of your WP book, the details page and any renewal pages.

On 3/26/2018 at 7:25 AM, ubonjoe said:

Sorry Joe, But could I ask you a que. We contact immigration and they need to see the cancellation of the Wp. I will get it tomorrow. The officer at my work says that I only need this to cancel my ext of stay based on employment at immigration. Is this correct? Do I not need any other doc?

thanks

13 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

The officer at my work says that I only need this to cancel my ext of stay based on employment at immigration. Is this correct? Do I not need any other doc?

You may also need a termination letter from your employer. That is what they normally want want instead of the work permit cancellation receipt.

7 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

Sorry Joe, But could I ask you a que. We contact immigration and they need to see the cancellation of the Wp. I will get it tomorrow. The officer at my work says that I only need this to cancel my ext of stay based on employment at immigration. Is this correct? Do I not need any other doc?

thanks

Depends on your immigration office.

Some do and some don't.

Phuket does not require the termination letter, only the WP cancellation slip.

On 3/26/2018 at 7:25 AM, ubonjoe said:

Hi there. A guy below says ''As you know the extension should be officially cancelled on the same day the WP is cancelled.''

If I cancel the ext a day or 2 after the WP cancellation is this ok? It says on the WP cancellation that my final day of employment is 1st may. Is all this ok?

thanks

7 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

Hi there. A guy below says ''As you know the extension should be officially cancelled on the same day the WP is cancelled.''

If I cancel the ext a day or 2 after the WP cancellation is this ok? It says on the WP cancellation that my final day of employment is 1st may. Is all this ok?

thanks

No, The extension has to be cancelled on the same as the WP termination as that was the ground for the extension approval.

8 hours ago, merijn said:

No, The extension has to be cancelled on the same as the WP termination as that was the ground for the extension approval.

is there a penalty for this if Im a day or 2 late? I didnt know about this rule

31 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

is there a penalty for this if Im a day or 2 late? I didnt know about this rule

Immigration would not make a big deal of it since they are aware it would be very difficult to cancel the work permit and do the cancellation of the extension on the same day. 

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration would not make a big deal of it since they are aware it would be very difficult to cancel the work permit and do the cancellation of the extension on the same day. 

Unless the IO gets greedy :sleep:

Edited by merijn