Bangkok: Time to make sure all dogs are micro-chipped

webfact

41.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News has said that it is time for all dogs in Bangkok to be micro-chipped. The rabies crisis in Thailand has so far not led to any fatalities in the capital but it could be only a matter of time before someone dies from the deadly disease.

The influential news media said in a feature that according to Bangkok authorities there are 700,000 dogs in Bangkok. Of that number 600,000 are pets and 100,000 are strays.

While some are micro-chipped the law is largely being flouted. It is time for the people to take responsibility for their animals and have them chipped and thus properly registered.

Daily News said that a scheme to micro-chip the animals was started in 2007 and 100,819 were done. The micro-chipping went hand in hand with vaccinations.

But complaints were made that the government had introduced an unfair law and the supreme court readjusted some of the statutes the following year though it is still the law to have pets registered in this way.

After the initial flurry of registrations the last ten years has seen the law largely ignored by an irresponsible dog owning public.

A fine of 5,000 baht that is particular to Bangkok is also on the books for people who allow their mutts to wander in the street.

The message from Daily News was clear - the authorities should act to save Bangkok from the fear and potential damage that is being caused by rabies in other parts of the country.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-27

3 hours ago, webfact said:

ut complaints were made that the government had introduced an unfair law and the supreme court readjusted some of the statutes the following year though it is still the law to have pets registered in this way.

After the initial flurry of registrations the last ten years has seen the law largely ignored by an irresponsible dog owning public.

What statutes were readjusted if it is still law to have pets chipped?

Why are these laws not displayed at every vet's clinic?

I could actually take offence with the last line above referring to 'an irresponsible dog owning public'. I would have no problem getting my dogs chipped if I had any idea of how to go about it. Especially if it is the law.

As a point of interest, how many expat readers have had their pets chipped in Thailand, either in Bkk or in the provences? 

Edited by chrisinth

Using a first world solution in a third world country is like a heavy plane that ain't gonna get off the runway.  The best solution is low-tech: collars, owner tags, rabies tags - place around dog's neck - Bob's your Uncle.

6015i44E79D870F6DB923.png.638e171337e78a9a367bab2662f32756.png

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

I could actually take offence with the last line above referring to 'an irresponsible dog owning public'. I would have no problem getting my dogs chipped if I had any idea of how to go about it. Especially if it is the law.

As a point of interest, how many expat readers have had their pets chipped in Thailand, either in Bkk or in the provences? 

Not knowing the law is no excuse. You are clearly one of these irresponsible dog owners. Go to the local authority and stop breaking the law just for the pleasure of being master of a dog.

2 minutes ago, The manic said:

Who enforces the law linking sim cards to passports? 

No idea, you tell me?

Will they also roam the streets to check if every dog is chipped? And if so they go to the owner of it to tell them their dog is roaming the streets and fine them or will that go automatic by post like a trafficfine?

Also, nothing happens if you don't pay the trafficfine sent to your homeaddress.

8 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Not knowing the law is no excuse. You are clearly one of these irresponsible dog owners. Go to the local authority and stop breaking the law just for the pleasure of being master of a dog.

OK, thank you. I'm on my way now...................................:sad:

But being serious, where is the law displayed for the public to follow? All very well having the law, then changing the statute while still enforcing the same law (and penalties?), and not making it available to the general public. Easy for them to have the vets display the requirements or not?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisinth said:

ours are chipped. your local vet should be able to do it

1 hour ago, Thian said:

No idea, you tell me?

Will they also roam the streets to check if every dog is chipped? And if so they go to the owner of it to tell them their dog is roaming the streets and fine them or will that go automatic by post like a trafficfine?

Also, nothing happens if you don't pay the trafficfine sent to your homeaddress.

Sim card registration enforcement was only introduced recently at the point of service. Now we all do it. Dog chipping could be introduced gradually and it would just catch on especially when genuine owners realise they might lose their dogs. Wouldn't require heavy policing. It could start at the temples and 7/11s. It will come eventually just as the alcohol sales times were introduced and generally obeyed. Because of the dangers that dogs present many Thais are on board with the idea. As for human chipping:it's already started in Sweden for access to houses, offices etc. 

4 minutes ago, Gudge said:

I know all the dog lovers and animal worshippers are going to be all over me for this but give people 1 week to do this then give police or other authorities a chip reader and if a dog is running the streets and is not chipped euthanize it on the spot. Wont take long before people will chip there pets and all others will be treated as stray wild animals.

I agree but the roll out time would have to be longer. Another solution is to market and promote dog meat as food as The government did with insects in the 60s. The Thais would soon wipe out the stray dog population. Also there could be a profitable export market to other countries. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

ours are chipped. your local vet should be able to do it

Cheers, will follow up with that and let you know how it goes up here in Phits..................:thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisinth said:

OK, thank you. I'm on my way now...................................:sad:

But being serious, where is the law displayed for the public to follow? All very well having the law, then changing the statute while still enforcing the same law (and penalties?), and not making it available to the general public. Easy for them to have the vets display the requirements or not?

100% agree. Used to have 2 large dogs and in multiple vets visits and to at least half a dozen different vets it was never mentioned. 

Eventually had them chipped in order to send them abroad. Local vet no problem except there is more than one chip standard so make sure you have the one that is accepted internationally and is more likely to be future proof.

It was also I think about 6 or 700 baht per chip however.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, topt said:

100% agree. Used to have 2 large dogs and in multiple vets visits and to at least half a dozen different vets it was never mentioned. 

Eventually had them chipped in order to send them abroad. Local vet no problem except there is more than one chip standard so make sure you have the one that is accepted internationally and is more likely to be future proof.

i didn't know it was law either. we had ours done in case they went missing, stolen or otherwise. good to know it is the law but bloody hell, what does that mean. not a lot really. i bet most of the BIB don't even know it's the law

3 hours ago, connda said:

Using a first world solution in a third world country is like a heavy plane that ain't gonna get off the runway.  The best solution is low-tech: collars, owner tags, rabies tags - place around dog's neck - Bob's your Uncle.

6015i44E79D870F6DB923.png.638e171337e78a9a367bab2662f32756.png

Yes, agreed, but then along comes Fanny, claiming shes not your aunt.

Well the best is to start with the hundred of thousands of street dogs! they are the most dangerous dogs here in Thailand who are carying and spreading the diseas!

And this keeps the autorothies and police busy the next hundred of years for a good thing to do.

1 hour ago, topt said:

Thanks for the input topt, between yourself and Happy enough you have given me things to follow.

Especially about the chip standard, even though the dogs will probably never leave Thailand it is IMO better to look at options than take the first package offered. Can live with 6-700 baht a chip.............:thumbsup:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Thanks for the input topt, between yourself and Happy enough you have given me things to follow.

Especially about the chip standard, even though the dogs will probably never leave Thailand it is IMO better to look at options than take the first package offered. Can live with 6-700 baht a chip.............:thumbsup:

i doubt i would take mine out of thailand, or myself for that matter in the shorter term anyway but for an extra couple of hundred baht would be best to go for the international option. one of my friends ended up going back to the UK as he wanted his kids schooled there rather than here and he said it cost him a couple of grand to get his dog over there. but hey, part of the family, got to be done. his is a proper thai dog too (kind of rhodesian ridgeback looking thing). seen pics on FB and turns out it loves the snow ; )

• Like 1