Police outline safety measures for Songkran

webfact

ff.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 27 March 2018 (NNT) - The Royal Thai Police has outlined its safety measures for the upcoming Songkran holiday. 

Police Spokesperson Pol Gen Weerachai Songmetta announced the force's policies to safeguard life and property during this year's Songkran holiday. They include facilitating those traveling back to their hometowns, establishing service points along the main travel routes and implementation of measures for safety as well as crime suppression. 

Pol Gen Weerachai indicated there would be an emphasis on enforcing traffic laws, such as obeying traffic lights, using seatbelts and helmets and not driving while drunk, drowsy, or on the phone. 

Officials have also been tasked with paying special attention to areas where large gatherings are expected. Law enforcement officers will strictly regulate alcohol sales and prosecute anyone selling alcohol to minors or driving while drunk. The measures with be strictly enforced from April 11th - 17th.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-03-27

1 minute ago, webfact said:

Pol Gen Weerachai indicated there would be an emphasis on enforcing traffic laws, such as obeying traffic lights, using seatbelts and helmets and not driving while drunk, drowsy, or on the phone. 

Does anyone believe that the carnage is going to come down? These minimal efforts, which are probably mostly talk anyway, are not going to change the mentality of the reckless, selfish and speeding motorists in Thailand. This year will sadly be pretty much the same as last.

• Like 2

Pol Gen   Weerachai, you are just spouting the same nonsense as your lot come up with every year.

Lots of stupid talk and no action.

So you think that policemen sitting sleeping, talking on facebook etc is going to achieve anything?

You are living in the same la-la land as Prayut and his p[als.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, webfact said:

enforcing traffic laws

:cheesy::cheesy::clap2:

obeying traffic lights

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

using seatbelts and helmets

not driving while drunk, drowsy, or on the phone

officers will strictly regulate alcohol sales

All I can say is "good luck"! Despite all these outlandish, never before seen, outrageously ambitious ideas we all know how its going to end, namely as per usual with hundreds of dead and thousands of injured - and of course followed by the standard apologetic statements from the government and police why the high-flying plans didn't work out, blaming all and everything except their own ineptitude. Let's face it: Merely regurgitating the same lame "safety outlines" year after year after year without any concerted action is going to achieve squat.

Edited by Misterwhisper
  • Thanks 1

Personally I'm not convinced things will improve. So I will sit at home for Songkran week and read about how their 'new' safety measures are fairing. Fingers crossed it will all be positive news....

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

same old shit. they know and everyone knows it's all gonna be the same. i've decided to avoid having ice cold dirty water thrown at me and pissed up drivers whilst i chill out in Vietnam till the chaos is over. Not knocking songkran. have enjoyed many in the past but it really becomes tiresome. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, webfact said:

Nowhere on Thai roads will be safe. I hear tell the Transport Department have placed a Just-in-Time order with Alibaba for ten-million Tardises . . . just to take some of the traffic off the roads. Now, why didn't I think of that?