Korat: Police to charge operator of fatal bus that crashed in Wang Nam Khiao 

webfact

Police to charge operator of fatal bus that crashed in Wang Nam Khiao 

By Thai PBS

bus21a.jpg

Provincial Police Region 3 investigators said they were collecting evidence to charge operator of the fatal bus that killed 18 persons in Wang Nam Khiao district of Nakhon Ratchasima on March 21.

Investigators said the owner of Gun Eng tour bus company, Sayant Boonsanam, would be charged for not having bus warranty check as specified by law, and for allowing the driver to drive under the influence of drugs.

Police today (March 27) questioned Mr Sayant and some survivors and also re-examined the accident scene to collect more evidence. They said they expected to compile the needed evidence and charged the operator within two weeks.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-charge-operator-fatal-bus-crashed-wang-nam-khiao/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-03-27

1 hour ago, Chang_paarp said:
1 hour ago, webfact said:

Investigators said the owner of Gun Eng tour bus company, Sayant Boonsanam, would be charged for not having bus warranty check as specified by law, and for allowing the driver to drive under the influence of drugs.

So the brakes actually failed?? :shock1:  :post-4641-1156693976: 

IIRC it was the annual(?) safety check that the bus company failed to carry out.

It was the driver who failed, rather than the brakes.

I'm not defending anyone here, but how does the owner check every shift that each driver is not under the influence of drink or drugs?

Say for example, the company's main office is in Bangkok. If the driver had a return journey to Khon Kaen, the owner would need staff at every distant point to check every driver.

It's not going to be easy.

• Like 1

Until they start holding the bus companies responsible for defective buses and hiring completely unsuitable drivers, as well as holding the driver responsible properly too...then this will continue to happen. The book needs to be thrown big time at several entities to reign them in on this issue. As an aside, I gave up public transport a long time ago...simple too dangerous.

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2018 at 5:27 PM, bluesofa said:

IIRC it was the annual(?) safety check that the bus company failed to carry out.

It was the driver who failed, rather than the brakes.

I'm not defending anyone here, but how does the owner check every shift that each driver is not under the influence of drink or drugs?

Say for example, the company's main office is in Bangkok. If the driver had a return journey to Khon Kaen, the owner would need staff at every distant point to check every driver.

It's not going to be easy.

Don't worry. They aren't serious. It will all be forgotten in a week and everything will carry on as before. The important point is that the authorities are seen to be talking about doing something. That doesn't mean they will actually do it, nor does anyone expect them to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Don't worry. They aren't serious. It will all be forgotten in a week and everything will carry on as before. The important point is that the authorities are seen to be talking about doing something. That doesn't mean they will actually do it, nor does anyone expect them to.

Oh bugger, yes! I was using ferang logic rather than Thai logic there.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Oh bugger, yes! I was using ferang logic rather than Thai logic there.

I am sorry to say this but if you keep using that type of logic here we will have to cancel your visa and deport you because it might just catch on the the government might do something positive, oh bugger now I am using farang logic, see what you have done

• Haha 1