Songkran revelers can ride on the back of pickup trucks, but banned from splashing water on main roads

webfact

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Why do the Thai authorities make such ridiculous pronouncements?

Does anyone think that the Thai people are going to heed them?

Anyone?

Anyone?

the answer is A BIG NO..................water will get thrown over people for ALL the days.

There is a law that STATES RIDING IN BACK OF PICKUP  IS ILLEGAL...so why is it that it IS NOW LEGAL to ride in one for Songkram.....

HOW ARE THE BIB going to enforce NO THROWING WATER from back of PICKUPS ???

It will be impossible !!!

They bring new laws out by the bucket load but never enforce them.

I can never see the logic of people apart from businesses buying a pick up and cramming the family etc in the back of them in the hot climate here, is it because they are cheap to buy ?

Just now, jamie2009 said:

They bring new laws out by the bucket load but never enforce them.

I can never see the logic of people apart from businesses buying a pick up and cramming the family etc in the back of them in the hot climate here, is it because they are cheap to buy ?

most are cheaper than saloon cars.....plus one gets a better view for driving, and are better in flood conditions

3 hours ago, markaoffy said:

Let the madness and carnage start! Time to leave the country April 12-16

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You obviously dont live in Pattaya. Its 12 - 19 here. Thats why I go to the Philippines during this period.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, essox essox said:

most are cheaper than saloon cars.....plus one gets a better view for driving, and are better in flood conditions

The price for and utility are the only reasons.

I don't imagine for a second that any pickup driver has considered the 'better view' as a primary reason driving the purchase of a pickup... or considered it at all...

On Topic: Each Year there is a new press announcement regarding how a new regulation will be brought in or an existing one enforced more sternly... nothing changes, the enforcement remains slack.. the Thai Police don't want to pull over people, they simply do so because they have to and are told to... this, of course, means that the laws are enforced at little as possible except at the occasional 'Check Point' which are  money spinners... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jimn said:

You obviously dont live in Pattaya. Its 12 - 19 here. Thats why I go to the Philippines during this period.

Max exodus from Pattaya commencing on the 12th....book tour bus taxi now...enjoy

• Like 1

For me the biggest culprits are the Farangs in Pattaya from my experience, they wouldn’t go throwing ice cold some times dirty water over complete strangers in there home country or in the faces of scooter riders.

Likewise they wouldn’t ride a scooter and drink and drive there either but because the locals do it here they think they can get away with it then moan and groan about getting pulled by the Police and fined.

• Like 1

Employ a national speed limit of 50km per hour on ALL roads outside towns. 40 km per hour within city limits. ENFORCE IT.. 

Many, many citizens more will survive the carnage on the roads.

Road deaths are a major problem in Thailand yet the foremost holiday only serves to exacerbate the problem.

It's tragic.

I mean, sometimes it rains during Songkran and the roads get wet don't they? So unless the police are out in real force no one is going to notice the difference. I really don't know why these people waste their breath...apart from giving us a good laugh, that is, Ha!

What blatant nonsense..last year they tried to zone water splashing areas in Phuket, nobody gave a damn though and ignored it. It will be the same with this latest order which will be ignored everywhere, and why not let people have fun, they always drive very slowly while splashing water.

• Like 1

Instead of waisting time and energy on useless measures, why not rather organize a special Songkran lottery with the winning number being the exact death toll during the 5 day horror festival?

At least, some would benefit from the carnage...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Songkran revelers will be allowed to ride on the back of a pickup truck, but will not be allowed to splash water from the truck on main roads

And will people riding in the back of pickups on main roads be made to make a ‘pinky promise’ that they won’t throw water? 

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

And will people riding in the back of pickups on main roads be made to make a ‘pinky promise’ that they won’t throw water? 

So no throwing water from trucks on Beach Road, Second Road, Soi Bukhao, 3rd Road, Pattaya Klang, Pattaya Thai, Sukhumvit etc in Pattaya then, who is going to enforce that, all main roads ?

"Songkran revelers will be allowed to ride on the back of a pickup truck, but will not be allowed to splash water from the truck on main roads as part of the Royal Thai Police’s safety measure guideline to be applied nationwide during Songkran festival."

And what abut those people who are standing at the side of the road with a big tub of water and throwing basins of water into Baht Buses and other vehicles on the main roads. That seems to be OK.

11 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Instead of waisting time and energy on useless measures, why not rather organize a special Songkran lottery with the winning number being the exact death toll during the 5 day horror festival?

At least, some would benefit from the carnage...

I can see it now:

High ranking policeman says his chosen lottery number looked like it was too high, so he had to instigate 153 extra-judicial songkran 'accidents' to get close to winning.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ebean001 said:

each year it is something different. I wish they would not allow ice. That is actually very rude and can cause great harm. NO ICE rule.

Or better yet, make it illegal for people to throw water on moving motorcycles because they are the main targets. There's no fun throwing water at a car and of course, it would be a waste of ice. It's only fun if the people they throw water at don't want to get wet.

2 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Great--means more water/powder/ice left for assaulting the tourists on the side roads.

Why not just bring a  club and do it properly? Youll need  10 mates to help u though:thumbsup:

The powder is also a drag.

The farangs have now taken over in town and Silom because of the semi-naked lasses and bare chests.

But..be careful in Silom: a Thai friend who looks like a 'deep' Thai was picked of his phone and 1000b last year. Yes, he is Thai and has been going for years. He knows the game and uses a plastic bag hidden in his undies...did not matter.

Glad to say that I always, always bugger off to Hanoi or KL 10-17 April, so I even leave a day or 2 either side.

Years ago I realised that getting a blond farang is 20 points and much more kudos-filled than soaking some Thai kid.

7 hours ago, mok199 said:

Thailand has got the blood shortage covered, water shortage covered,alchohol sales coverd,extra law enforcement covered.....''Let the Good times roll''....

brain shortage not coverd  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

At least it is possible to escape Songkran - in stark contrast to the annual 31 December - 1 January ritualistic nonsense from which there is no escape whatsoever wherever on this great planet of ours you have the misfortune to find yourself!

Thank you, Mr. Happy!     :biggrin:

Of course. Like everything else here. Lip service and 1 or 2 examples to show the BiB at work.

What happened to the street vendors who were banned?--Slowly creeping back, but along Sukhumvit they can melt away, gas and all, in 3 minutes. Same in my road.

I have been here nearly 15 years. Does little Somchai still get 0% for English? Or copies from a website? You bet.

Do fall guys get locked up in Koh Tao (nearly 3 years now) and Ferrari killers go scot-free? Of course. Most natural thing in the world.

Plus ca change...(excuse keyboard!)