SURVEY: What are your Songkran Plans?

Scott

SURVEY: What are your plans for Songkran?  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

It’s obvious you no nothing about Thailand and it’s Songkran.It use to be fun when it was only a few days and stopped at 6 o’clock at night.The reason Pattaya is dead is because of ignorant people. And must say foreign people are to blame. Some Thais go over the top because they can. I for one stay in the village where it’s still polite and fun.

I go out and water play everyday each year. You stay home. Who knows more lol??!! 

There  are more Thais out in BKK than foreigners. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I go out and water play everyday each year. You stay home. Who knows more lol??!! 

There  are more Thais out in BKK than foreigners. 

Do you know what Cobblers are ? Cobblers are people who mend shoes, Cobblers are also a type of bread roll, the other type of cobblers is rubbish (trash if you're a septic) what you speak is cobblers, primarily the last definition.

I prefer to experience the original and much more respected version of Songkran, you however are free to indulge in a mindless, brainless and moronic pastime.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

Fun for a day.

Ever had to ride a motorbike to a job interview mid-April?

Not fun.

It isn't just water.

It's chunks of ice too. I've been hit full on in the face with ice at 30 kph. It's dangerous on a motorbike. Also, last year, kid's hands slipped on the bucket and I was hit directly in the face with a 5 litre pail half full . Bloody dangerous!

Took 2 weeks before the swelling came down for me to see out of my right eye.

I hate Songkran with a passion and stay inside.

Patient: Doctor when I do this it hurts

Doctor: Don't to that!

Are there dangers associated with Songkran ? Sure,

does someone need to adjust their life during such times? Yes

Advise: don't schedule job interviews during that time, be careful riding your bike.  Spend Songkran with family and friends having fun.

Don't be a wet blanket:smile: (Pun intended)

• Like 1

Suppose it depends on where you reside.

The level of activity and monkey business is obviously higher in certain areas but 3 days of water in the majority of the country is nothing.

I wonder if the bloke riding to his job interview got hired?  Oh, here is to happier times for him.  When life was carefree and water stayed in cups and small pools....

Screenshot_2018-04-01-21-20-58-494_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.png

Edited by HLover
Added content
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HLover said:

Suppose it depends on where you reside.

The level of activity and monkey business is obviously higher in certain areas but 3 days of water in the majority of the country is nothing.

I wonder if the bloke riding to his job interview got hired?  Oh, here is to happier times for him.  When life was carefree and water stayed in cups and small pools....

Screenshot_2018-04-01-21-20-58-494_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.png

Image result for mr bean motorbike

LOL

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

I'm teaching. Schools finish end of March and begin May 1st. You can't say no to a job interview during Songkran.

I don't care about the water, that's fun. It's the ice cubes which have kept me indoors. Hit with 2kgs ice in the chest while on a motorbike is not the way I want to die in Thailand, so I stay off the roads.

Sorry you have to work during Songkran my friend!

Only kidding with you. 

I personally ascribe to the "if you can't avoid it , lay back and enjoy it"attitude

Perhaps taking the Train or a taxi during that time might be a more prudent option than riding your bike , I know I would never ride my bike during Songkran unless I wanted to get wet.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

Hit with 2kgs ice in the chest while on a motorbike

That was a very large amount of ice.  Your not that German knob that drives around Pattaya with all those neon lights and music blasting from his motorcycle are you?

He's the only person I've heard of people wanting to throw large items at.

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

Sorry you have to work during Songkran my friend!

Only kidding with you. 

I personally ascribe to the "if you can't avoid it , lay back and enjoy it"attitude

Perhaps taking the Train or a taxi during that time might be a more prudent option than riding your bike , I know I would never ride my bike during Songkran unless I wanted to get wet.

I know I sounded like I was b1tc4ing. I enjoy Songkran until something nasty happens and up north there's ice cubes in the buckets of water. Train? I'm in Chiang Rai555. I usually walk and I bought this wonderful raincoat for cameras to take photos. My hobby here.

• Like 1

Just now, HLover said:

That was a very large amount of ice.  Your not that German knob that drives around Pattaya with all those neon lights and music blasting from his motorcycle are you?

He's the only person I've heard of people wanting to throw large items at.

I'm a Canadian from Chiang Rai. And I hope I'm not considered a nob.

• Like 1

Over Songkran, I stay with my wife and son in a very nice hotel in Bgkk (every year a different one) and enjoy their premises and having some quality family time. No interests anymore to join the craziness outside...

Songkran should last 1 day.  Second best: 2 or 3 days.  Up here in Chiang Rai, it lasts over a week.  The Thai gov't always adds vacation days - in order to gain favor with the public.  ....tho it's not so popular with the unheard of hundreds (thousands?) who wind up getting injured or killed and their loved ones.

It's a bit similar with restaurants in Thailand - and what none of them do:

For restaurants: Let the people who want loud music, get loud music / let those who want relative quiet, get solace. In other words: position loudspeakers to face a 'loud section' of the restaurant.

Let the people who want to get splashed get designated splash areas / let those who want relative peace, stay dry.  Instead: Songkran has become several days of drenching for Everyone.  

If Thais had Easter in their cultural heritage, they would pervert it to where every Thai was throwing colored eggs at every other Thai (for a week) - causing injuries and deaths in the hundreds. The soundtrack would be endless hilarious laughter.

On 3/31/2018 at 7:50 PM, alex8912 said:

I say “ when in Rome” It’s fun and it’s therapeutic! 

BTW do you know how many people die in their own houses? The bathtub slip is a BIG one.  Staying home is not always “safe”. 

Your BTW is ridiculous. Most people die at home due to old age, which is a nice way to go.

Other areas may be tolerable, but there is absolutely nothing therapeutic about Songkran in Pattaya.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'm working on the Friday. 

Madam will go and see her mum on Sunday. I will remain home and pet-sit (I really don't want to see my 95++ MiL with no top again, she's a lovely old bear but ...).

Local temple on Monday for gentle wetting of/by monks followed by full on water fight with the locals.

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I'm working on the Friday. 

Madam will go and see her mum on Sunday. I will remain home and pet-sit (I really don't want to see my 95++ MiL with no top again, she's a lovely old bear but ...).

Local temple on Monday for gentle wetting of/by monks followed by full on water fight with the locals.

My goodness, what a site that must have been.  Similar to two tennis balls swinging from dress socks, I imagine.  Now that I have stopped laughing at your post, back to sipping coffee.

I will stay here in Pattaya and have a couple of friends coming in tomorrow. This will be my last year doing it here.  The  farangs have really ruined it.  I used to really like it.  I like water.  These idiots with the big long tube guns aiming for your ears and eyes has taken a lot of the fun out.  Also the point blank buckets of water in the face especially to motor cycle riders is just insane.  Next year I'll do it in Yasothan...

54 minutes ago, HLover said:

My goodness, what a site that must have been.  Similar to two tennis balls swinging from dress socks, I imagine.  Now that I have stopped laughing at your post, back to sipping coffee.

Have seen similar in the G/Fs village (gran)............more like wrinkled spaniels ears, and not a pretty sight!

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I will stay here in Pattaya and have a couple of friends coming in tomorrow. This will be my last year doing it here.  The  farangs have really ruined it.  I used to really like it.  I like water.  These idiots with the big long tube guns aiming for your ears and eyes has taken a lot of the fun out.  Also the point blank buckets of water in the face especially to motor cycle riders is just insane.  Next year I'll do it in Yasothan...

image.png.e6de65c684166fe4f146e99181cb9c1f.png

You don't need that ear

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

image.png.e6de65c684166fe4f146e99181cb9c1f.png

You don't need that ear

Yeah that's it.  Exactly, when the action gets heavy I just wear ear plugs now. Too bad these wack job Farangs have taken it this way

• Like 1

On 4/1/2018 at 7:53 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Do you know what Cobblers are ? Cobblers are people who mend shoes, Cobblers are also a type of bread roll, the other type of cobblers is rubbish (trash if you're a septic) what you speak is cobblers, primarily the last definition.

I prefer to experience the original and much more respected version of Songkran, you however are free to indulge in a mindless, brainless and moronic pastime.

Respected by whom?  Holidays change grumpy. Songkran has been the way it is now for over 30 years! Remember how Christmas was in the 1920’s? The English language also changes and if you don’t learn it you will be left out and forgotten. Septic?? Lol. 

At this week School my Son will pay respect to his teachers in the traditional Songkran manner, followed by some water play... 

On Songkran we will take my Son to a 'child-friendly' area such as K Village where he can have a little fun for an hour or so. We'll probably enjoy dinner with the Inlaws in the evening. 

Bangkok only gets crazy in certain area's outside of which its fairly easy to avoid the chaos and tends to be quite relaxed.