DPM Prawit says officials are still pursuing Thaksin and Yingluck

rooster59

thaksin3.jpg

As Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha declined to comment on the appearance of former prime ministers Thaksin and Yingluck Shinawatra in Tokyo on Thursday (March 29), Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon said authorities concerned were trying to bring the two fugitives back to serve their jailterms.

Thaksin and Yingluck were reported by Asahi Shimbun that they were invited to attend a book launch of a former Japanese interior minister at a hotel in Tokyo.

Thaksin told Asahi Shumbun that he was confident that the Pheu Thai party would triumph in the next general election and expected to capture 220-230 seats in the House of Representatives.  He also said he hoped democracy would soon be restored in Thailand.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dpm-prawit-says-officials-still-pursuing-thaksin-yingluck/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-03-31

6 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon said authorities concerned were trying to bring the two fugitives back to serve their jailterms.

how tiresome; the hopefully-never-live-it-down watch guy and his lipspeak

• Like 2

If officials are pursuing then it's time to get some new officials as they don't seem to be doing very well.

Although now I have said that, I'll say this they have a budget to pursue so they follow them to the best eateries the best hotels to the best spas to the best shopping malls and airport lounges.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Prawit can only hope that now is the hour, but he is strapped because they are overseas, and secondly he needs time to watch how things unfold...........he has to remember that time waits for no man. Tick tock.

Maybe a slap on the wrist is all he will get as time seems to have run out in his investigation.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He should his officials that they are in Japan, then the officials can go there and steal a painting in a hotel, then they'll be transfered to an inactive post for a while. On second thought, just skip the middle part and go directly to the inactive post...

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon said authorities concerned were trying to bring the two fugitives back to serve their jailterms..."

No, you are not.

Stop lying.

They are not, you are quite right.  When Yingluck was seen in the UK and immigration were asked about it they said they had had NO contact whatsoever from the Thai authorities concerning her.

18 hours ago, Sealbash said:

What jurisdiction does Thai law enforcement have in foreign countries? Why are other countries allowing convicted fugitives actress borders?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Very little I expect because country's democratically elected, functioning government's (as opposed to a government made up of brainless, entitled, spoiled children) do not respond to extradition orders based on politically motivated charges brought by a gang of corrupt thugs who seized power illegally.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

They probably are still trying... They've yet to realise that International borders present a significant challenge to arresting them though :)

Seems they're not really trying.

As of last month there was no Red Notice issued to Interpol by the Thai government for the arrest of either Thaksin or Yingluck. A Red Notice is necessary to allow foreign state authorities to arrest an accused Thai citizen, assuming such arrest is consistent with the conditions of an extradition treaty. A Red Notice cannot compel a foreign state to make an arrest.

Interpol has no investigative or arrest authority.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Seems they're not really trying.

As of last month there was no Red Notice issued to Interpol by the Thai government for the arrest of either Thaksin or Yingluck. A Red Notice is necessary to allow foreign state authorities to arrest an accused Thai citizen, assuming such arrest is consistent with the conditions of an extradition treaty. A Red Notice cannot compel a foreign state to make an arrest.

Interpol has no investigative or arrest authority.

I think the last thing Prayuth wants is for either of them extradited back to Thailand. But I love the fact that they keep turning up in media reports in various countries smiling and looking happy because I imagine it drives the man-child mad.