Thailand protests China over registration of “Monthong” as trademark

rooster59

Thailand protests China over registration of “Monthong” as trademark

durian.jpg

The Department of Intellectual Property (DIP) has officially protested China over a Chinese business operator’s request to register trademarks in English and Chinese meaning “Monthong”, the popular durian species in Thailand.

The move was aimed at protecting Thai fruit exports after Chinese companies have used the trademark in their products, said the DIP director-general Thosapone Dansuputra on Friday (March 30).

He said the protest note was sent to China Trademark Office on March 26 to voice Thailand’s concern over report of  its recent registration of “Jin Zhentou” in Chinese (gold pillow) which translated into Thai as “Monthong”, the name of the most  expensive and popular durian species of Thailand.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailand-protests-china-over-registration-of-monthong-as-trademark/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-03-31

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Whatever happened to the brilliant idea of the previous Minister Ms Kobkarn of promoting Thailand as the Hub of Durian Kitkats? 

That might still be a very good idea...loads and loads thai bring cheesecake kitkat from japan, or green tea kitkat.

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“Monthong”, the name of the most  expensive and popular durian species of Thailand

Which is not true, Khan Yao is the most expensive one, 300 us$ a piece but lately the price is 600 i read....

9 hours ago, Thian said:

Which is not true, Khan Yao is the most expensive one, 300 us$ a piece but lately the price is 600 i read....

likely the same demographic that pays 1 million baht for lucky car license plate number will pay 300 - 600 usd for 1 durian

• Haha 1

I thought I read somewhere on Thaivisa that the district offices now have a second type of pink ID cards for non-Burmese without travel restrictions in Thailand.

Edited by Puccini

That"s because you have not educated your pallete Chris.

Obviously Mr Prime Minister has not told  them that the Chinese can do whatever they want.

They will be totally in control of SEA in 40 years & no country or leader is going to stop them

• Like 1