Residence Cerificate at CW not worth it

Hello all

Went to CW for residence certificate. They have combined the residence certificate desks with the tourist extension desks into one que. at the J2 desks. Waited 4 hours for residence certificate that will be mailed to me in three weeks costs 200 baht. Made copies of passport and entry card and 90 day report. Plus the taxi fares to and from CW from BTS Mo Chit 360 baht total plus the total BTS fares about  200 baht from on nut for 760 baht total cost plus or minus. 

Next time I gladly pay the 50 USA dollars to the USA embassy with an on line appointment time, no copies needed, with their staff courtesy and in and out in less than 15 minutes. Live and learn. 

• Like 2

That does not sound encouraging.

I was planning on going out there this week. I think I need one of these to buy a car, correct?

Why do they need a 90 day report? I have never been in-country 90 days in a row, because I travel a lot. I was here 207 days last year though (using 12 month non-imm O visa), so I should also be a fiscal resident now as well (another piece of paper to chase). I have a non-imm O-A now, but it is very unlikely I will hit 90 consecutive days this year either.

I am curious, what document does the US embassy provide and of what use is it?

2 hours ago, JoeBloe said:

I was planning on going out there this week. I think I need one of these to buy a car, correct?

Why do they need a 90 day report? I have never been in-country 90 days in a row, because I travel a lot. I was here 207 days last year though (using 12 month non-imm O visa), so I should also be a fiscal resident now as well (another piece of paper to chase). I have a non-imm O-A now, but it is very unlikely I will hit 90 consecutive days this year either.

Yes, you do need one for purchasing a car. Don't bother joining the line up though at Bangkok Immigration because without doing 90 reports, they simply won't issue you one. You will have to go to your embassy and obtain it.

Edited by Maestro
Deleted off-topic part of the post.

Same in Pattaya. Now they make you report your address first (even if just on visa exempt) instead of just issuing the thing with your proof of address. I had to come back the next day to get my certificate (and queue again). Pretty pointless exercise as a hotel business card, a handwritten bill and your phone number is not really proof of anything. Plus, I could just change the hotel the next day ...and the hotel should report my stay in the first place anyway. Waste of resources.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JoeBloe said:

A work permit can be used in some places.

1 hour ago, ferguston said:

Complain.

Should be free.

Should be free exactly,but they rarely are, last time i went Jomchien a couple of years back i think they wanted 200bht was going to query it, but thought better of it, as they've got your future plans as it were, in their hands,and they know it!

As previously said I confirm no 90 day report then no residence certificate from CW. 200 baht fee not negotiable or waiver.  Seemed like lots of agents cut the que line.  The US embassy has the form you need for free once you get there but charge you 50 USA dollars to notarize the form. In exchange you get an online appointment and it takes about 15 minutes and for me is closer to my condo  than CW. I tried to save some money and thought the residence certificate line would not be long. Very few people getting residence certificate but a ton of people getting tourist visa extensions and we were all grouped into one que. I am not saying that the embassy is the best for all people but for me I will pay the extra money at the embassy to save a frustrating day. 

• Like 1

I applied and received my Residence Certificate yesterday at Ratchaburi Immigration.

Dropped off paperwork at 1030 and picked up certificate at 1430, no charge. 

Friendly staff at the Ratchaburi office:smile:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wump said:

Same in Pattaya.  Now they make you report your address first (even if just on visa exempt) instead of just issuing the thing with your proof of address. I had to come back the next day to get my certificate (and queue again). Pretty pointless exercise as a hotel business card, a handwritten bill and your phone number is not really proof of anything. Plus, I could just change the hotel the next day ...and the hotel should report my stay in the first place anyway. Waste of resources.

Got mine last week for a new motorbike.

Took 17 minutes at Chonburi Imm.

But, you need to have your paperwork in order.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

Got mine last week for a new motorbike.
Took 17 minutes at Chonburi Imm.
But, you need to have your paperwork in order.
Yeah no problems at all at Jomtien. And I even lost my tm6. Just have your tm30 in order for which you don't need a tm6 either.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, ferguston said:

Complain.

Should be free.

Stictly speaking it should be free

Got a RC last week at Jomtiem

300Baht. The whole process completed in less than 30 mins. (pus 5 mins at the photocopy shop next door)

Just to be difficult I asked for a receipt.Request declined.

It is impossible for them to give a receipt-it is  free (strictly speaking)

300 Baht for tea money fund

Edited by Delight
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, jossthaifarang said:

while we are on the subject, is it still correct that if you have a work permit you don't need a residence certificate? Or have they changed that again??

If you have a work permit a certificate of residency is not needed since it has your address on it.

On 4/2/2018 at 9:59 PM, Lovethailandelite said:

You will have to go to your embassy and obtain it.

No longer an option available to French nationals according to a report on here some time ago by @geovalin

So they appear to be caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have a work permit a certificate of residency is not needed since it has your address on it.

Mate, that was the crack two years ago when I bought my first car, but now I bought a second and they say the rules have changed. I agree though the address is on the work permit. Any idea where to check the latest update to the rules?

14 hours ago, Delight said:

Stictly speaking it should be free

Got a RC last week at Jomtiem

300Baht. The whole process completed in less than 30 mins. (pus 5 mins at the photocopy shop next door)

Just to be difficult I asked for a receipt.Request declined.

It is impossible for them to give a receipt-it is  free (strictly speaking)

300 Baht for tea money fund

A ridiculous comment.

Just about every country in the world charges for government services. The employees at that office and others are working for a salary.  It is a busy office and most of them are working their butts off.

Would you want to work there?

Has nothing to do with tea money.