Tractor with 4 hydraulic connectors?

12 minutes ago, JungleBiker said:

This is a New Holland 7740 not far from where I am. Photos taken today. I had noticed it a long time ago but I had never been interested to see how many spool valves it had. I'm not sure if it has 2 or 3? Perhaps someone can tell us.

Pity it's lacking an engine.

The tyres look better than the ones on Talahtnut's flood stricken Ford in Oz.

I bet the previous owners never thought their tractor would end up in Laos. I will try to make contact with them via Ernest Doe & Sons (name on the bottom of the number plate). 

I wonder what it would take to get it working again? I guess it would be better to start off with a complete tractor rather than half of one. 

IMG_20180408_134116_resized_20180408_034833506.jpg

IMG_20180408_134124_resized_20180408_034812591.jpg

IMG_20180408_134204_resized_20180408_034717968.jpg

IMG_20180408_134225_resized_20180408_034749157.jpg

IMG_20180408_134244_resized_20180408_034656002.jpg

Ernest Doe is Essex UK...Good idea mate, you could buy a new engine,

and you have a virtually new 4wd tractor.  R year 97/98

4 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Another point of interest you raised, is manual labour, which

has many environmental and social advantages, something

future farming methods must consider.

We are already hiring villagers to tidy up the ridges we've made for planting avocados and we'll be hiring them to plant the trees, etc. 

2 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Ernest Doe is Essex UK...Good idea mate, you could buy a new engine,

and you have a virtually new 4wd tractor.  R year 97/98

New, not used, engine? Do they still make them? Where's the factory or where could I seek a new engine? 

7 minutes ago, JungleBiker said:

Not sure about sharing but I'm hoping other farms will be interested to hire our spreader once we have it up and running. And we are hiring tractors and drivers with discs, bulldozers, etc. 

Probably the best option as sharing can be complicated.

Good to see you involve locals,

13 minutes ago, JungleBiker said:

New, not used, engine? Do they still make them? Where's the factory or where could I seek a new engine? 

You could start by emailing Doe, certainly you must find a rebuilt engine.

or a used one.

If you could find the original, that could be rebuilt.

It's got 2 spools,the one on the left under water bottle is for a trailer brake i think.

There is push/pull lever on the floor in cab to direct fluid to those spools.

I've never used mine on the 6610.

If the engine is out it could be for a number of reasons.

There are two types of imported Ford tractors here in Thailand,one that comes direct from another country and is sold as is.The others come in and are modified to Thai conditions then sold.(companies like Mitalai)

My particular one came from England as is.I soon found out parts were harder to source,mainly being the clutch arrange on mine which had a torque converter with clutch packs that failed.When we split the tractor i Thai modified it straight away removing it and have had no problems since,while also apart the clutch packs in the PTO were slipping so we welded it up direct drive and rely on shear pins in the implements for safety.This was over 10 years ago.

So i would think that tractor has a transmission problem rather than engine if it's been apart a long time.

JB

I would say you could get a secondhand engine here in Thailand and without looking into it I would say a similar model engine would fit.

I have said before labor is not so dear in Thailand if you found a second-hand engine, strip it down and rebuild it , you would almost have a new engine, would be cheaper than importing one from the UK.

Just curious did you notice how many hours were on the clock, (if it had one, and it was working).

FJ, I would say that coming from the UK that spool valve would have more than likely be used on a tipping trailer, UK tractors do a lot of trailer work.  

On 8/4/2561 at 9:22 PM, kickstart said:

JB

I would say you could get a secondhand engine here in Thailand and without looking into it I would say a similar model engine would fit.

I have said before labor is not so dear in Thailand if you found a second-hand engine, strip it down and rebuild it , you would almost have a new engine, would be cheaper than importing one from the UK.

Just curious did you notice how many hours were on the clock, (if it had one, and it was working).

FJ, I would say that coming from the UK that spool valve would have more than likely be used on a tipping trailer, UK tractors do a lot of trailer work.  

Asked at my local tractor dealer  about an engine for a Ford  7740 ,they said there are no new ones ,for a second hand one you need a breakers yard ,if you can find one ,for compact tractors not difficult, where Farmer  Jo brought his crawler  brake compact tractors, but for bigger Fords not easy to find .

Thay said that they have all the bits, ie rings, pistons, to rebuild a 7740 engine.

Looking around the shop they had a new cylinder block for a Ford 6610, plus all the bits for a rebuild, these old Ford's are not a problem. 

They had 2 Ford 7740's tractors in their yard one looked if it has been around the world ....twice but had new front tyers tattie, the other did not look so bad.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

On 8/4/2561 at 5:14 PM, talahtnut said:

You think you have problems..try a Lanz.

www.dailymotion.com/video/x2rk2ppAnd I thought an old Field Mashall tractor was diffucult to start , being like this one a big singal piston engine .

Was in town today at a machinery hire place that help me fix a idler bearing on my crawler.

They had a 6640 in the yard for hire with a 3 disc plough,15,000 a day.

I noticed it had one of those big draw bars KS was talking about,no using PTO with that on.

Got a shock of how heavy duty it was.

Also like in JB's picture,one of the spool's was taken up to use the blade on front of tractor. 

20180411_133140.jpg

20180411_133423.jpg

6 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Was in town today at a machinery hire place that help me fix a idler bearing on my crawler.

They had a 6640 in the yard for hire with a 3 disc plough,15,000 a day.

I noticed it had one of those big draw bars KS was talking about,no using PTO with that on.

Got a shock of how heavy duty it was.

Also like in JB's picture,one of the spool's was taken up to use the blade on front of tractor. 

20180411_133140.jpg

20180411_133423.jpg

Ever considered a chisel plough?  

17 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Yes I've gone off conventional ploughs..I imagine you might

use roto tillers?

Not in the general scheme of things for pre planting preparations.

Yes i've used one intensely to water level some land as this was the easier way to level land. 

It would be rare in this heavy clay area to use a tiller without ploughing.I've tried and it just wants to Bounce out of the ground at 75mm deep.

3 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Not in the general scheme of things for pre planting preparations.

Yes i've used one intensely to water level some land as this was the easier way to level land. 

It would be rare in this heavy clay area to use a tiller without ploughing.I've tried and it just wants to Bounce out of the ground at 75mm deep.

I can imagine the bounce on unploughed land, that why

I use the chisel plough first..they do resemble your ripper

but not so deep..pretty good for water retention, and kinder

to topsoil. I'm interested to know what your'e growing, if

thats not too nosey.

23 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

thats not too nosey.

Mostly sunn hemp and trialling getting rice into the rotation.

And corn when the price is right.

Mainly playing around till i come up with a solution that suits no till farming in Thailand.

More can be said about that on the Maize and rotational crops thread.

Don't want to side track JB's quest for a tractor with the right amount of spools. 

On 08/04/2018 at 5:39 PM, farmerjo said:

It's got 2 spools.

Thanks for confirming that FJ. 

On 08/04/2018 at 5:39 PM, farmerjo said:

If the engine is out it could be for a number of reasons.

So i would think that tractor has a transmission problem rather than engine if it's been apart a long time.

I will see if I can find out from the owner why the tractor is out of order and why the engine is missing.

By the way, the owner belongs to the same corporate group that used to sponser Everton FC! 

On 08/04/2018 at 9:22 PM, kickstart said:

Thanks KS. Knowing that does make it tempting to give it a go. I'm interested to do it as much for the challenge and fun as for finding a machine to do some farming work. I mean, even if I get another tractor to run the spreader, I still like the idea of getting an old British tractor here in Laos up and running again. Something to be proud of!  

On 08/04/2018 at 9:22 PM, kickstart said:

I'll take a look next time I pass by and let you know later. 

On 10/04/2018 at 12:23 PM, kickstart said:

Thay said that they have all the bits, ie rings, pistons, to rebuild a 7740 engine.

these old Ford's are not a problem. 

It's good to know that. I did surf the web and found a quite a few sites that offer a range of parts for 7740's, including not just engine parts and other mechanical parts, but also stuff like glass for the doors/windows, door handles, mirrors, etc, etc. So it could be an interesting project, like restoring a vintage car but in this case it would be a tractor, and it could be put to use on the farm. I think this 7740 does qualify as a being a vintage tractor! 

Hi KS, 

Attached is a photo of the hours. I think the first vertical white line is the edge of the reel, not a one. 

I have also attached more photos of the tractor, including the clutch area, so that perhaps you or one of the other guys and can say if you think this machine is worth fixing or not. Perhaps it is "too far gone"?

My feeling now is that it could be a very time consuming project and I don't have a lot of time. 

JB. 

IMG_20180415_091044_resized_20180416_120945362.jpg

IMG_20180415_091032_resized_20180416_121007599.jpg

IMG_20180415_091302_resized_20180416_121057788.jpg

IMG_20180415_091147_resized_20180416_121057206.jpg

IMG_20180415_091003_resized_20180416_121056697.jpg

IMG_20180415_091052_resized_20180416_121055711.jpg

IMG_20180415_091009_resized_20180416_121056175.jpg

IMG_20180415_090951_resized_20180416_120915539.jpg

1 hour ago, JungleBiker said:

Attached is a photo of the hours. I think the first vertical white line is the edge of the reel, not a one. 

I have also attached more photos of the tractor, including the clutch area, so that perhaps you or one of the other guys and can say if you think this machine is worth fixing or not. Perhaps it is "too far gone"?

My feeling now is that it could be a very time consuming project and I don't have a lot of time. 

Add together costs of obtaining all parts, cost estimate

of labour you will have to employ, your own time, plus

an estimate of anything else that may be faulty on the

back end. Compare that with the price of a decent running

machine.

Back in the UK, I would tackle that, where I have I have a

workshop with all the machinery..but as a commercial

decision I would more likely go for a decent runner.

I would recommend sleeping on that for several nights.  There are no guarantees in

this game.

My 2 cents...

Find out the asking price and roughly what's missing/broken.

If you could pick it up for say 200,000 and get it running by spending another 400,000.

You would have a reliable tractor(big horsepower) at a good price.

See if the (Lao-German training school)) ? would take it on as a project.

Some times it's good to know the history of a machine.

But in your case if you can afford a new spreader,:smile:a new tractor would look good in front of it.

On 11/4/2561 at 8:06 PM, talahtnut said:

thats not too nosey.

Where did you buy your chisel plough in Thailand and how wide is it.

7 hours ago, JungleBiker said:

Thanks guys. I will try to get more information but probably won't take it any further. 

JB,

Massey Ferguson are becoming more popular with dealerships growing everywhere.

There 5709 model is 92 hp and has 2 auxillary spools as a standard feature.FWA is optional.

8 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Where did you buy your chisel plough in Thailand and how wide is it.

I'm only wintering in Thailand, farm in UK.

Obtaining some equipment is easy for me:

http://www.cheffins.co.uk/auctions/cambridge-machinery-sales

or ebay.

My chisel is a new experiment for me.

Thats why I am wondering if you have similar sales here.

FJ

They were a few chisel ploughs in my area, but for some reason, they have all disappeared.

They were all imported had 5 legs on ,I would say 2 meters wide, the legs were a meter long at least,

My first thought was a Ford 6600 would have a job to pull one, at a depth that would do any good, so a 4WD would be needed, for a first pass I would be tempted to take off 2 legs , and especially if the land has never subsoiled  before. 

talahtnut

I use to work on a farm in Bedford, and I knew of the Cambridge machinery sales, they is nothing like that here in Thailand just machinery dealers.

I would have thought you would have used a one-pass system, that is one machine cultivator, harrows and drill  all done in one pass of the field,the most a chisel  plough did was to take out the tramlines, but a chisel plough done every 3-4 years on the whole field  would not do the land any halm. 

JB

5000 hours on a tractor is not a lot, but I would say looking at this tractor it has done a lot more than that, clock not working, tape on the gear stick looks well worn, noted no flywheel or clutch, could be an interesting  project ,but I think I would give it a miss,or as has been said think about it , ask about and see what comes up 

Archived