Retirement Visa Renewal

Sawasdee krap!

Today, January 25, I renewed my retirement visa for the fifth time, and this year was the smoothest -and fastest- ever!

This morning at 10:00 am I arriveded at the US Embassy to get my "Affidavit of Income." This year I had to wait one hour and 10 minutes just to get the form notarised. They're not too concerned with customer service down there :o The Embassy is calculating baht at B38 = $1 USD.

Next I went to Bangkok Bank's main office on Silom and 5 minutes later I walked out with the form certifying my bank balance. In the past BKK bank always charged me B200 for the letter printed on a green stationary. This year they only charged me B100 and printed it on blue stationary, using the exact same format. Not sure why I received a discount, but I'm not complaining :D

I walked down Soi Convent, crossed the main road (forget the name) and hailed a motorcycle taxi to the Suan Plu Immigration office. The taxi driver charged me B20; a rip off but I was tired of walking...

Arrived at immigration at 1240 and got my que number. I filled out the forms while I was waiting at the US Embassy so it saved me a few minutes. My que ticket said there were 16 people before me, so I dashed off to the 90 day reporting section and took care of that task in about five minutes.

Back to the visa section (desks 12 to 22 if I remember correctly) and at 1300 some immigration officers were returning from lunch and the pace quickened. My number was called and I presented my docs; every thing in order and the clerk calculated my US pension (in baht) using B36 per $USD. My bank balance was B115k; and she had no problem with that. I asked to keep the original of my US Embassy "Affidavit of Income" but she refused. Worth a try anyway :D

Her supervisor checked my documents, smiled her approval and I dashed off, picked up a que ticket for my reentry permit. (I should have asked the supervisor if I could substitute a copy of the original pension affidavit, but I didn't.)

Paid B1,000 for a single re-entry stamp and collected my passport about 10 minutes later.

At 1400 I was walking out the door; one hour and twenty minutes for retirement renewal; 90 day reporting and a re-entry stamp.

Not bad :D

Lance

Nice update. Thanx.

Couple questions:

You mention that the Embassy uses an exchange rate... So, is the Affidavit of Income reported in both dollars and baht (using, in this case, the 38-to-1 ratio you mentioned)? And, presumably, the US Embassy still doesn't require supporting documentation(?).

Your experience apparently is that you need a new Affidavit of Income every year? Did you also have a copy of the Affidavit -- but they insisted on the original?

Did Immigration want to see any supporting documentation in reference to the Affidavit?

Cheers.

Nice update. Thanx.

Couple questions:

You mention that the Embassy uses an exchange rate... So, is the Affidavit of Income reported in both dollars and baht (using, in this case, the 38-to-1 ratio you mentioned)? And, presumably, the US Embassy still doesn't require supporting documentation(?).

Your experience apparently is that you need a new Affidavit of Income every year? Did you also have a copy of the Affidavit -- but they insisted on the original?

Did Immigration want to see any supporting documentation in reference to the Affidavit?

Cheers.

1) Actually, the Embassy gave me a blank form, which I completed (I entered my pension in $USD) then returned to them for notarization.

2) Yes, new form every year. Yes, I had a copy Ugh!

3) No, immigration accepts the Affidavit with out supporting docs.

Lance

thanks for that

what about health certificate?

you can get a 50 bht docs certificate, last year my wife got mine from a different docs 100 bht I sat in the truck :o
They say that since late last year, you no longer need the medical cert, at least not for renewal. I accidentally included a photocopy of the medical cert in my package, and the officer kept it.

Sometimes you get lucky and the officer hands you back your embassy cert (mine did last time, saying I can use it next time). Since I also handed him my bank passbook (which wasn't even needed), he made me get it certified at the bank. I backed up my US embassy pension cert (which isn't checked at the embassy) with bank statements proving the monthly income, which the immigration officer kept.

thanks for that

My first Retirement Visa application was in 2003 at Suan Plu Immigration in BKK. They never asked for a medical certificate. The Immigration officer was only concerned with me having 800k THB in a Thai bank.

Maybe I was lucky but I've never been asked for or provided a medical certificate.

But they always keep my original "Affidavit of Income" from the US Embassy, causing me another trip to Wireless Road and $30 USD for the notarised form.

I'd rather keep the original affidavit and provide Immigration with a B50 "Medical Certificate" :o

Lance

1. Medical certificate is no longer required by immigration for long stay extension (retirement).

2. Supporting documents for Embassy letter have been asked for recently by immigration so that is probably best bring what you have just in case you are asked.

thanks for that

My first Retirement Visa application was in 2003 at Suan Plu Immigration in BKK. They never asked for a medical certificate. The Immigration officer was only concerned with me having 800k THB in a Thai bank.

Maybe I was lucky but I've never been asked for or provided a medical certificate.

But they always keep my original "Affidavit of Income" from the US Embassy, causing me another trip to Wireless Road and $30 USD for the notarised form.

I'd rather keep the original affidavit and provide Immigration with a B50 "Medical Certificate" :o

Lance

It is my understanding that if you go the 800,000 bhat route you do not need the letter from the embassy showing a monthly income. In other words it's either 800,000 bhat in the bank or a monthly income of 65,000.

Why did you get the letter from the embassy if you showed you already had 800,000 bhat?

When I renew my pension I take

1 Embassey letter re pension

2 Copies of passport

3 Two photographs

4 TM 30

5 Fee

Before they have told me can use same letter next year, but then another officer says need new one, and British Embassey say need New one, so who is right?

thanks for that

I'd rather keep the original affidavit and provide Immigration with a B50 "Medical Certificate" :D

Lance

It is my understanding that if you go the 800,000 bhat route you do not need the letter from the embassy showing a monthly income. In other words it's either 800,000 bhat in the bank or a monthly income of 65,000.

Why did you get the letter from the embassy if you showed you already had 800,000 bhat?

Because I do not have 800K Thai baht in a Thai bank :o

When I renew my pension I take

1 Embassey letter re pension

2 Copies of passport

3 Two photographs

4 TM 30

5 Fee

Before they have told me can use same letter next year, but then another officer says need new one, and British Embassey say need New one, so who is right?

Hi,

Appraciate if you could advise what supporting documents you needed to provide at the British Embassy to enable them to issue confirmation of income/pension and how long it took you?

regards,

Dave

Nice update. Thanx.

Couple questions:

Cheers.

1) Actually, the Embassy gave me a blank form, which I completed (I entered my pension in $USD) then returned to them for notarization.

2) Yes, new form every year. Yes, I had a copy Ugh!

3) No, immigration accepts the Affidavit with out supporting docs.

Lance

That's strange that the Bangkok Immigration Office kept your original Income Affidavit from the embassy and would not let you file a copy. I got my initial Retirement Visa in March 2005 at the Pattaya Immigration Office. I submitted my original Affidavit of income that I had obtained from the American Embassy and they told me that they only needed a copy. They told me that I only need to present the original each year along with a copy for them to keep. They would take the copy and give me back the original once they had seen it. They also said for me not to lose the original because I could use it over and over again until my passport expires, 2014 in my case, then I would have to obtain a new Affidavit of Income once I renewed my passport.

I went to the Pattaya Immigration Office last month to renew my Retirement Visa, made a copy of my Affidavit of Income, presented the copy along with the original and after looking at the original, the lady returned the original, kept the copy and proceeded to process my application. I plan to do the same next year.

Pattaya Dave

Hi,

I hope I'm doing this right, it's my first post. :o

I thought that in my case there was two major stumbling blocks for my getting a "retirement" visa which I understand is the long-stay (O-A) visa. I'm very glad to hear the medical check is no longer required, the less running around the better. I was hoping to get the first such visa at the Thai embassy where we are now (Qatar).

My problems for the O-A had to do with: The medical certificate and the background check. I could not get the medical certificate in Qatar, local authorities don't do all the checks listed by Thai authorities (e.g. elephant man disease and a couple more). So, I'm glad I no longer need that. However, there remains the background check. Is that still required? If it's no longer a requirement then I'm home free as they say. I meet all other requirements.

I can get a BC, I have nothing to hide but it is a problem to get it while I'm here: I'm Canadian and Canada doesn't have an Embassy here in Doha. I got a background check done over 2 years ago for Thailand while in BKK (for adoption purposes) it took several months to get the results from Canadian authorities. I started the process in October, left Thailand end of december. The results came back in Feb. and I picked them up when I returned to BKK in June. We got my son's adoption papers in July.

We will be going to Thailand in May or June but I can only stay about 50-60 days and then must get back here for work. I cannot start another check and hope to have the results in that short a time, (Canadian authorities warn you it may take up to six months and it took about 4 the last time).

Please tell me the background check is a thing of the past as well!

If not my alternative is try and get things started here but that will not be easy for a number of reasons such as no local embassy and local authorities not being overly service oriented. If I overcame those difficulties having the results sent from Ottawa to Bkk would be a snap.

Thanks

DB

Hi,

I hope I'm doing this right, it's my first post. :o

I thought that in my case there was two major stumbling blocks for my getting a "retirement" visa which I understand is the long-stay (O-A) visa. I'm very glad to hear the medical check is no longer required, the less running around the better. I was hoping to get the first such visa at the Thai embassy where we are now (Qatar).

My problems for the O-A had to do with: The medical certificate and the background check. I could not get the medical certificate in Qatar, local authorities don't do all the checks listed by Thai authorities (e.g. elephant man disease and a couple more). So, I'm glad I no longer need that. However, there remains the background check. Is that still required? If it's no longer a requirement then I'm home free as they say. I meet all other requirements.

I can get a BC, I have nothing to hide but it is a problem to get it while I'm here: I'm Canadian and Canada doesn't have an Embassy here in Doha. I got a background check done over 2 years ago for Thailand while in BKK (for adoption purposes) it took several months to get the results from Canadian authorities. I started the process in October, left Thailand end of december. The results came back in Feb. and I picked them up when I returned to BKK in June. We got my son's adoption papers in July.

We will be going to Thailand in May or June but I can only stay about 50-60 days and then must get back here for work. I cannot start another check and hope to have the results in that short a time, (Canadian authorities warn you it may take up to six months and it took about 4 the last time).

Please tell me the background check is a thing of the past as well!

If not my alternative is try and get things started here but that will not be easy for a number of reasons such as no local embassy and local authorities not being overly service oriented. If I overcame those difficulties having the results sent from Ottawa to Bkk would be a snap.

Thanks

DB

Sorry to dissapoint you but the medical certificates are no longer required (in Bangkok and Pattaya at least) for renewals applied for IN THAILAND.

If you apply at an Embassy it is the Embassy which decides what papers are needed

Good luck

Sawasdee krap!

Today, January 25, I renewed my retirement visa for the fifth time, and this year was the smoothest -and fastest- ever!

This morning at 10:00 am I arriveded at the US Embassy to get my "Affidavit of Income." This year I had to wait one hour and 10 minutes just to get the form notarised. They're not too concerned with customer service down there :o The Embassy is calculating baht at B38 = $1 USD.

Next I went to Bangkok Bank's main office on Silom and 5 minutes later I walked out with the form certifying my bank balance. In the past BKK bank always charged me B200 for the letter printed on a green stationary. This year they only charged me B100 and printed it on blue stationary, using the exact same format. Not sure why I received a discount, but I'm not complaining :D

I walked down Soi Convent, crossed the main road (forget the name) and hailed a motorcycle taxi to the Suan Plu Immigration office. The taxi driver charged me B20; a rip off but I was tired of walking...

Arrived at immigration at 1240 and got my que number. I filled out the forms while I was waiting at the US Embassy so it saved me a few minutes. My que ticket said there were 16 people before me, so I dashed off to the 90 day reporting section and took care of that task in about five minutes.

Back to the visa section (desks 12 to 22 if I remember correctly) and at 1300 some immigration officers were returning from lunch and the pace quickened. My number was called and I presented my docs; every thing in order and the clerk calculated my US pension (in baht) using B36 per $USD. My bank balance was B115k; and she had no problem with that. I asked to keep the original of my US Embassy "Affidavit of Income" but she refused. Worth a try anyway :D

Her supervisor checked my documents, smiled her approval and I dashed off, picked up a que ticket for my reentry permit. (I should have asked the supervisor if I could substitute a copy of the original pension affidavit, but I didn't.)

Paid B1,000 for a single re-entry stamp and collected my passport about 10 minutes later.

At 1400 I was walking out the door; one hour and twenty minutes for retirement renewal; 90 day reporting and a re-entry stamp.

Lance

Can you please clarify for me: I will next to renew my Non-immigrant A O. I usually have 800 baht in a Thai Bank, but this year I want to use - in part - my pension. I was told that my pension would have to be sent directly to my Thai Bank three months before renewal. What this means is that my pension can no longer be sent to my American bank, it has to be sent to my Thai bank account. According to your experience, is this true?

Leethom

Edited by Leethom

Money in a bank account must have a record of being in the account for 3 months for new applicants. For renewals that requirement has not yet been enforced. There is no requirement to transfer funds when using Embassy letter of pension/income.

dustybooky:

Have you checked with Thai Embassy if they will even process your application for O-A long stay visa? Normally this is only done for residents of the country involved. The logical option for you would be to come to Thailand and then extend your stay on the basis of retirement and avoid need for background check or medical. If you can not prove 65k pension with Embassy letter you will have to use bank account with 3 months record so the sooner you set that up the better. You can convert a tourist visa inside Thailand or if you can obtain a non immigrant visa so much the better.

You can convert a tourist visa inside Thailand or if you can obtain a non immigrant visa so much the better.

Any recent data on converting a 30-day stamp into a Non Imm O for extension purposes? I know one (or maybe several) folks did this last fall. But the rumor then was, this was temporary good-deal.

And maybe this was true, as I haven't seen any recent conversions of this nature........

I'm glad I don't have to go to Bangkok. The service at Kanchanaburi Immigration is excellent. They even helped with my application for a Thai driving licence. I'm in and out in 5 minutes for my 90 day notification. The visa renewal takes a little longer, but I've never had to wait more than 30 minutes. I'm hoping to be able to get my confirmation of income letter from the Bristish Embassy by post this year.

Sawasdee krap!

Lance

?? went US embassay? affidavit income !! ?? what for???

? i thought : if a farang 50 years old and have in the thai bank 800.000 baht to show immigration office only so then this will be enough to get retirement visa , i think there is no asking for any other document like "affadavit income" or so !!! to be 50 years old and must show the 800.000.. baht will be enough OR NOT?

im from europe and next year i will be 50 years old and im intent to apply for retirement visa to thai immigration office next year but i dont have any retirement document that i can show to immigration office cause i never worked in my life , i have just heritage cash , i mean next year i will be 50 years old and i can show 800.000 baht to immigration office also and much more cash .. so may i not get retirement visa then ?? do i need more other documents!!! thanks..

It is true you only require a medical certificate when you first apply for retirement visa. :o

No medical cert needed if applying for retirement extension first time or anytime IN Thailand.

If you are applying for an O-A outside Thailand, then you do need this cert.

Sawasdee krap!

Lance

Congrats Lance! 5 minute turn around time for the bank letter! My SCB bank in C.Mai made me wait overnite!

(even tho I got there in the morning.) I had a smooth go otherwise for my 1st retire extension here last Friday.

US consul also used 38 to 1 for the pension letter payment. At Cmai Imm. I was also given the original back of same,and they kept the copy. The only questions the officer asked me during the interview was what my career was before retirement,(evidently to determine the source of my pension) and how much the rent at my C.Mai apt. was. 5 minutes later it was "riap roy laew" and I was on my way to pick up the form for my rentry permit. Thanx to Pattaya Dave for his post as my passport expires next year so it looks like Ill have to get a new pension letter also.

Money in a bank account must have a record of being in the account for 3 months for new applicants. For renewals that requirement has not yet been enforced. There is no requirement to transfer funds when using Embassy letter of pension/income.

dustybooky:

Have you checked with Thai Embassy if they will even process your application for O-A long stay visa? Normally this is only done for residents of the country involved. The logical option for you would be to come to Thailand and then extend your stay on the basis of retirement and avoid need for background check or medical. If you can not prove 65k pension with Embassy letter you will have to use bank account with 3 months record so the sooner you set that up the better. You can convert a tourist visa inside Thailand or if you can obtain a non immigrant visa so much the better.

Hi,

I had my wife call the Thai Embassy today. She (I) was told to gather all I can document-wise in order to get a O-A and go see them. Last year, I tried and was told I did not have the required documents (police check and medical certificate). I had already deposited over 400K TB in my BKK acct. since that is the required amount needed if married to a Thai, is this correct? If need be I could boost that to over 800K no problem.

Here in Qatar, newly hired personnel are asked to provide a "background clearance check" as a pre-employment requirement. I arrived here before that measure was put in place so I don't need that for here. Canadians who do need it however are telling me its a big hassle since the embassy needs to guarantee its authenticity and there is no Can. embassy here (our stuff is handled through Kuwait). I've now contacted the Immigration dept. of where I work and asked them if I could get a Qatari clearance check since the Thai requirements say "a background check from native country or country of residence". I'm a resident of Qatar, I am now on my 2nd 2 year residency permit. That may be enough BUT if I still need the medical check I am back to square 1 since they don't do elephantisis or leprosy checks here. In passing, how do they check someone for alcoholism?

I'll be going to Bahrain (a 15 minute flight) in April and I may try and get this medical check done there if a) they do it and :o I already have my Qatar background check..

dustybooky

For O-A you need money in your home country bank account and the amount is 800k baht regardless of your marriage status. I would advise you to forget doing it there and take care of the process in Thailand after your arrival.