Does anyone bother shopping at Amway Thailand?

ubonr1971

I strolled into an Amway the other day and had to walk past the check out chicks to get through to the stock on the shelves.  A customer was presenting a member card with payment. I later found out that I needed one of these to buy anything in the store. Its small change (around 100 baht) to join but why do they make their customers do this? I couldnt be bothered filling out the form and paying for the 'membership'. Waste of my time. I went to Big C instead. IMHO its a fairly stupid business model to make people pay for membership before they buy. But this is an American company right??? 

Maybe they need the membership details for the catalogue shopping but why is it mandatory to have membership to go aisle shopping? I cant see many Thai people where I live paying for a membership card to go shopping, let alone catalogue shopping.

Do you ever shop at Amway? Some of the household products look like good quality but thats about it....

cheers

• Like 1

We used an number of Amway products in Australia since about 1980. When we came here we went to an Amway store and discovered you needed to be a member to buy from the store. Don't need to be a member to buy from a distributor. A lady standing nearby signed us up as members and we just go buy what and when we want.

Most of their products are great and some seem to be overpriced but as I said we have been using since 1980 and appreciate the quality so I don't mind taking the time to fill in a form and pay 100 baht.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

Its small change (around 100 baht) to join but why do they make their customers do this?

Maybe they want to discourage people who come in simply to ogle "the check out chicks."

12 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

had to walk past the check out chicks

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Maybe they want to discourage people who come in simply to ogle "the check out chicks."

I have been to the Amway store in Chiang Mai a number of times. Ummm, the checkout chicks are not worth ogling and quite often it is a guy.

2 minutes ago, DGS1244 said:

Totally overpriced goods, three times more than the average supermarket. Agreed good quality but not that much. The way they set up their 'parties' with agents more like pyramid selling.

Like I said used many years and happy with quality and price.

And you don't think normal products you buy are "pyramid" selling? Manufacturer sells to wholesaler who sells to distributer who sells to retailer who sells to you and each one of these have a makeup.

Amway products are at a constant price to customers. Distributors are not allowed to sell at a higher price than other distributors like stores do.

Yes bonuses are built into the price for distributors but so are things built into store prices, store costs, staff costs, theft, insurances, etc, etc. But Amway product prices are generally constant for one year and catalogues are printed with prices. Cant get constant price in store for one year printed on paper.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DGS1244 said:

"Yes bonuses are built into the price for distributors but so are things built into store prices, store costs, staff costs, theft, insurances, etc, etc. But Amway product prices are generally constant for one year and catalogues are printed with prices. Cant get constant price in store for one year printed on paper."

Doesn't change the fact that the product is overpriced so they can pay large 'commissions' to their agents. Had experience in the UK years ago, never again.

Your opinion

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yardrunner said:

t is not more like pyramid selling it is pyramid selling

Ignorant

Pyramid selling, as the name suggests the price goes up each person. As I wrote about the price is the same for ALL distributors and same price for ALL customers so I can't see how you call that pyramid selling.

Edited by Dazinoz
  • Like 1

Amway makes a lot of there money selling motivational seminars to there agents, at least in the states were it all started. There products are expensive but I have been told by many very good. I guess with the stores here in Thailand a little different than in the states. 

1 minute ago, Dazinoz said:

Were you ever an amway distributor?

you don't need to be an distributor to know about the Amway business. (I know indeed a district manager, who is going for incentives to everwhere in the world. Who do you think will pay for it?)

The system is similar to HERBA LIFE.

As a scientist I know about the ingredients and I'm able to compare the products with other brands

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sawadee1947 said:

you don't need to be an distributor to know about the Amway business. (I know indeed a district manager, who is going for incentives to everwhere in the world. Who do you think will pay for it?)

As a scientist I know about the ingredients and I'm able to compare the products with other brands

Yes it is MLM. And you don't think that happens in normal stores like Big C?  Manufacturer, wholesaler, distributor, retailer, customer. Most are companies that have CEOs that get bonuses for whatever they do.

As far as quality goes the only true test is if you use yourself. Test companies like Choice in Australia have a criteria for testing and if a product does not fall within that criteria the products are rated low. When I was a distributor (not an agent as there is no such thing as an agent in Amway), I read many Choice articles on Amway products and many times they did not use product as per instructions on the box and, hence did not meet their test criteria and rated poorly.

8 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Again you say what you don't know. Every MLM chain is its own business. There is no such thing as a "district manager". 

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

LOL...this creepy ogler guy wanted to avoid Pattaya at all costs on another thread because it was too "low class".  Priceless.

Edited by torrzent

1 minute ago, sawadee1947 said:

I can't fight ignorance and stupidity

I was a distributor 10 years plus but you seem to know more about the business than I do. So who is ignorant and stupid?

1 hour ago, yardrunner said:

t is not more like pyramid selling it is pyramid selling

Haven't seen so much pyramid selling since some dodgy real estate agents sold some to the Pharaohs in Egypt.

Edited by torrzent
  • Haha 2