Pattaya Trip, First for Ten Years

simoh1490

3 hours ago, torrzent said:

A fair and balanced review.  Refreshing compared to the wannabes who are always trying to knock it, like the HH expats and the whinger in the other thread complaining it is too low class so has to be avoided, even for one night.

Yes, probably changed a lot.

But what about all the little people earning a living there?

Where are they now?

1 minute ago, hansnl said:

Yes, probably changed a lot.

But what about all the little people earning a living there?

Where are they now?

Spread around in different businesses I imagine - the former bar beer girls are probably working legit (fronted) massage which exists by the thousands, hotels and restaurants will have absorbed the rest, some may have gone home or moved elsewhere..

• Like 2

Just now, CGW said:

I agree! but isn't every city in Thailand a "dump" to some extent, poor planning with no thought to the future? The same cheap tasteless concrete building, Thailand has never won any arcitectural awards for obvious reasons  :shock1:

The point about Pattaya is that over ten years ago it was a very seedy party town and everyone knew it, but the government left the place alone because it had a viable plan to turn the city around and it has achieved that in my book.

• Like 1

The area around the hotel where we stayed was actually quite impressive, a previous poster mentioned, "The Palm, Baan Plai Haad, Zire, Northpoint, Wong Amat Tower, Riviera Wong Amat, Serenity, and Laguna Heights" and I recall seeing some of those places. Many of those buildings wouldn't look out of place anywhere in the Western world, well designed, nicely maintained and visually very appealing, of course, if you've never seen that are you won't understand. As for the definition of "upmarket": there's no question that ten or more years ago Pattaya was distinctly downmarket and all that's being said here is that it has successfully turned around, not that it's the pinnacle of upmarket locations, just that it has improved considerably. But there again, if you didn't know the place ten or fifteen years ago, you wouldn't understand that either!

• Like 1

First visited Pattaya 48  years ago when it was a sleepy village with 1 Western style Hotel. Beach and sea pristine- lush gardens and shrubbery everywhere.  No pollution and little night time activity- no GoGo Bars or ladyboys plying their trade, No traffic and no stress.

I preferred the old Pattaya but  not everyone likes quiet. Terminal 21 in North Pattaya will attract Bangkok Thais for weekend out and as that becomes successful- expect more malls and traffic.

• Like 1

Nice to read about these reports here but, they need to do something about their road system, I went down round the Dolphin Roundabout and up North Pattaya Road to a filling station for petrol for my motorbike, I wanted to go back and then down Beach Road. Because of all the U turns being blocked off, I ended having to go up Sukhumvit Road, and down Pattaya Klang.

That is quite a few Ks from about halfway down North Pattaya Road. All the idiots who made it impossible to go back the way I came are only moving the traffic to clog up another part of Pattaya.

It's trip related so I'll throw it out for humour value:

We went to the Thai Lion Air desk in CNX airport to buy our tickets and the girl asked where we wanted to go. We replied Pattaya and she said, "sorry, we don't fly there". Initially confused we stepped away thinking we'd made a mistake and gone to the wrong airline, later we realised we hadn't. I booked the tickets online and later went back to the TLA desk and asked the girl what her problem was - she replied that Utapao is in Rayong and not Pattaya and that she was technically correct, I regret to say I lost my cool and called her f***ing idiot and walked away. For those not aware, Utapao was referred to as the Pattaya airport or Pattaya/Utapo for many many years, in recent times it seems to have been rebadged and is now referred to as Utapo Rayong, in some circles. Technically and officially the airport is titled, U-Tapao Rayong - Pattaya.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Very good observations from the OP-  but I would add that many parts of Pattaya are overbuilt and as someone observed no way all those enterprises will survive.  I visited Pattaya last week after a year hiatus.  I much prefer the Southern Coast of Thailand but Pattaya does have things to do for families. The sleaze can be avoided.  Plenty of respectable pubs and international restaurants as well as good priced Thai food.

Prices in Pattaya are rising just as everywhere in Thailand. Actually, the economy is doing well in most sectors except Issan where prices of rubber and rice are flat and jobs of value scarce or non existent.

I do believe Walking Street will be gone within the next 10 years as eventually the illegal business on the seaside will get torn down and the powers that be force all the gogos and sex sites to either go out of business or relocate. Thailand doesn't care if the mongers leave and never come back-  Their replacements are already coming and craving more upscale entertainment.

Yes, and who are these replacements, the Chinese? The taxi drivers and road sweepers are not going to be happy about that.:hit-the-fan::cheesy:

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

The point about Pattaya is that over ten years ago it was a very seedy party town and everyone knew it, but the government left the place alone because it had a viable plan to turn the city around and it has achieved that in my book.

Pattaya really started to change after Central built the mall. I lived there for 15 years, I moved there in 97 because it was a party town, previous to that I would go nearly every weekend from Bangkok where I lived for 8 years. Pattaya was always Bangkok's "party" location! Back then it was a great place to party! one of the reasons being there were nowhere near the numbers of people visiting as there are these days.

Now I am old! & have little interest in "partying"  :saai:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kokopelli said:

My only comment is "bring back the bad old days, when fun was fun".

I am not ashamed to admit that I had some pretty good times in Pattaya in the 1990's and early 2000's, those days, however, seem to be long gone and if the City has its way, they won't be coming back, probably just as well really! People today though, those that visit Pattaya for the first time and think it's seedy, probably don't understand the meaning of the word and have no idea how much things have changed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, newnative said:

Nice to see a fairly balanced review.  Recently, a yahoo made the utterly absurd comment that Pattaya from Dolphin Circle to Walking Street was just one giant brothel.  Possibly hasn't been to Pattaya in ten years, either, and has no idea how Pattaya has been changing, both in the enormous building boom and the changing tourist demographic.  The OP mentioned he stayed at Garden Cliff Resort.  Just in that one relatively small area of Pattaya we have, built since the OP's last visit:  The Palm, Baan Plai Haad, Zire, Northpoint, Wong Amat Tower, Riviera Wong Amat, Serenity, and Laguna Heights, among others, plus several hotels now under construction.  And, more on the way.

Hi your friendly Yahoo again. So sois 1,2,3,6,7,8 post office, pattayaland, walking Street, soi Diana, soi LK, soi buakhow, Pattaya Klang, south Pattaya road, and at least half the sois running from 2nd road back to 3rd road no longer have any bars in them? Fantastic good to know. I would hate to think that Pattaya had garnered a reputation for freely available sex for money.

3 minutes ago, starky said:

Hi your friendly Yahoo again. So sois 1,2,3,6,7,8 post office, pattayaland, walking Street, soi Diana, soi LK, soi buakhow, Pattaya Klang, south Pattaya road, and at least half the sois running from 2nd road back to 3rd road no longer have any bars in them? Fantastic good to know. I would hate to think that Pattaya had garnered a reputation for freely available sex for money.

You're living proof that if you want something bad enough and are prepared to go looking for it, you'll find it. By the same token, others who didn't go looking for those things yet are still fairly observant, didn't see much of them at all and certainly not as primary attractions! Which is the whole point of all of this: ten-fifteen years ago it would have been impossible to miss such things, no matter where you went, today they are easily avoided and not seen. (BTW you over exaggerate the extent of the problem by citing the names of sois that contain some bars but are not dominated by them, as in the case of sois 6/7).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

You're living proof that if you want something bad enough and are prepared to go looking for it, you'll find it. By the same token, others who didn't go looking for those things yet are still fairly observant, didn't see much of them at all and certainly not as primary attractions! Which is the whole point of all of this: ten-fifteen years ago it would have been impossible to miss such things, no matter where you went, today they are easily avoided and not seen. (BTW you over exaggerate the extent of the problem by citing the names of sois that contain some bars but are not dominated by them, as in the case of sois 6/7).

To be honest I thought I was pretty fair in only naming those sois. Would you say soi 8, pattayaland,  post office, LK, walking Street, soi Diana and buakhow only contain " some" bars? It is near impossible to have a reasonable debate with people that are so defensive and so in denial about the place in which you live. I am not making any judgement calls at all but at least be truthful to the realities. I always love the " oh yes I live in Pattaya, you really wouldn't even know there was a bar here" crowd.

• Like 2