Thailand ranked world’s ‘least miserable’ country again

rooster59

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Wait, shouldn't North Korea carry the crown then? According to the Politburo there, there's 0 unemployment and zero inflation. :partytime2:

Go and lie down, relax and repeat to yourself for 30 minutes,

I must not use logic

I must not use logic

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lupatria said:

Those in countries with lower ranking were advised to increase corruption. It creates happiness for briber and beneficiary and works wonders. Best results appear in combination with religion, Thainess and a supervising junta. 

You forgot one very important ingredient : Sustainability...

Which, since it has high sponsors, translates into....Know your place.....:coffee1:

• Haha 1

They missed the miserable folks in my Moo Baan. And i’m sure yours too. 

“ why you think too much” . Pigs in poo are happy too.

But there’s no doubt depression in the West is huge. Epidemic.

They live on the fears

1- Enough is never enough.

2- There’s never enough time.

The 2 biggest traps that elude happiness.

1 hour ago, Brickbat said:

They missed the miserable folks in my Moo Baan. And i’m sure yours too. 

“ why you think too much” . Pigs in poo are happy too.

But there’s no doubt depression in the West is huge. Epidemic.

They live on the fears

1- Enough is never enough.

2- There’s never enough time.

The 2 biggest traps that elude happiness.

Great point Brickbat.

leads naturally onto the question; "what is happiness?"

I think that the rural Thais realise their lot is not so good, but they also know it could be worse, and they are still alive and sometimes kicking.

There was a survey some years ago (UK) where gamblers were asked what makes them happy. Over 50% of them said it was finishing the session even after being in a substantial losing position.

What load of ********s

Rural people working long hours for next to nothing, getting drunk and dieing early because of Lao cao, i bet most are ecstatic ever day. 

As for shops all overstaffed with basically people how are in the main, thanks to woeful,education (to put it nicely) unemployable.

1 minute ago, shady86 said:

Quantity over quality.
Everyone is happy with low salary because there are many ways of earning 'extra income'. There is always someone ready to 'lend and borrow' expensive things when needed. emoji23.png

Sounds like the original argument for cheap credit.

Those happiness indexes are not really to be taken too seriously...

but here we go:

There is a global happiness index including 155 countries

And in 2017 Thailand ranked 32th          (Clearly an oversight, that they forgot to publish that one)

Corruption within government offices are measured in the bigger index, so 32th is surprisingly high....:whistling:

3 hours ago, Anak Nakal said:

I see many unhappy people.

Maybe not ask the right people?

ya go to any beer bar ,its most likely full of unhappy whinging moaning pommies, do your self a favor and live out in the rurals, the people are happy, a lot more well off than they let on, and most have a large tract of land to work, happy yes they are !

4 hours ago, YetAnother said:

trying to adjectify 'economy' with 'misery' is idiotic; the former totally lacks emotion, the latter intense emotion

Corellating this ridiculous "survey" with the average Thai IQ might have shown a truer picture.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genmai said:

I tried telling my wife the other day that she's the "least ugliest woman in the Moo Baan". I don't think she gets Thai humour.

You obviously haven't replayed it enough times. ;-)

Should of been in last nights taxi with me, the old boy must of been in his seventies and didn't stop raving how miserable Bangkok has become and the lack of business due to another somchai from the boys in green, or in this case the boy in pantaloons............even me Mrs was piping in with the comparison to a lao cao swilling buffalo jockey......... All is not well in La la land...........

3 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Walking into the average shop here it certainly makes sense unemployment being low. I’ve never seen that many employees at any business worldwide. Seriously, walk into a home pro there must be 3 Thai employees for every aisle. 

I think Home Pro has three employees for every customer, walk in and you get swarmed on

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stropper said:

ya go to any beer bar ,its most likely full of unhappy whinging moaning pommies, do your self a favor and live out in the rurals, the people are happy, a lot more well off than they let on, and most have a large tract of land to work, happy yes they are !

Are you happy ? you sound like a real miserable whinging chip on both Shoulder Ozzie.

If you keep repeating the same story, most people eventually will believe it. A glance at the suicide rate for the Land of Smiles, which one might imagine would be at least some reflection of how miserable the population at large is feeling, reveals a rather different picture.

According to the latest WHO figures, Thailand currently stands 46th out of 186 countries for suicides, with a rate for both sexes averaging 12.7 per 100,000 people.

An "Other Sources" table covering the years 1985 to 2017 shows Thailand doing much better in the suicide stakes, in 66th place with a 9.7 average rate. In other words, things are getting worse, not better.

Figures from both sources show Thai men have a far higher suicide rate than women - part of an ongoing worldwide trend, and one of those inconvenient truths feminists tend to ignore when banging on about "equality".

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, khanplayer said:

They obviously did not include the villages in their survey where lots of grandparents are raising grandchildren while the grandchildren's parents are in another country working to send money home to Thailand because there no opportunities in the rural areas. They obviously did not go to the rural areas and ask the grandparents raising their grandchildren why their children have left to work in another country.  I have witnessed many times laborers working long days in miserable conditions only to get a partial pay or no pay at all.

Remember the "survey" came from Bloomberg.