Finding Staff

kannot

17 minutes ago, kannot said:

Unfortunately not as the land is up a hill with MANY large stones, Prachuap is also the driest province I believe so watering  up to 16 rai of anything would be a lot of work, the pineapples require ZERO water another bonus here then id  have to fence off everything else as the goats would have the lot.

https://www.treeseedonline.com/store/p97/Stone_Pine%2C_Umbrella_Pine_(pinus_pinea).html

You can tree these pine nut tree's from italy...they are drought resistant, grow slow, give valuable pine nuts and look great.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=italy+pine+tree&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJg4md-azaAhWJRo8KHWbzBEIQ_AUICigB&biw=1396&bih=668

Australia is no different in the farming industry, many of the orchards have trouble getting workers when it is harvest time. The farmers try backpackers or anyone but some farmers have even cut down their orange trees and burnt them.

The story of life now is that with IT and mechanization no body wants to do manual labour they all want to sit on their asses and get blisters on their finger tips from pushing buttons. The modern world has become lazy

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kannot said:

Last year the price of  pineapples was 12  baht a kilo, now  like many fruit including mangos the price is  very very low. After 2  fruits on the pineapples you have to remove the plant and re  palnt BUT I dont grow them for money I grow them to keep the land tidy otherwise it would just be full of weeds and nothing to control erosion, they are also easy and low maintenance

We had a small area for growing pineapples but nobody looked after it and I used to kill the weeds every so often with a brush cutter. In the end I got fed up and grubbed the whole lot out. We didn't have any erosion where they were.

6 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Australia is no different in the farming industry, many of the orchards have trouble getting workers when it is harvest time. The farmers try backpackers or anyone but some farmers have even cut down their orange trees and burnt them.

The story of life now is that with IT and mechanization no body wants to do manual labour they all want to sit on their asses and get blisters on their finger tips from pushing buttons. The modern world has become lazy

Do you know how much they pay backpackers in rural Australia?

You spend living and working in the middle of nowhere Queensland, save $1500 a month while have absolutely no life.

The OP's offer seems extremely generous considering average wage in TH

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this topic, Ok so had some new  staff but turned out to be  unsuitable, lasted 4  weeks though!!

Anyway so if anyone else has anyone who might be interested   PM me.

One person 14k a month two 18k a  month, the second person only has to do a bit of cleaning ( twice a  week 50m2  house) an tree watering, not work all day, 5 day week includes motorbike, house, electric water , fish 60cm+ tilipia and others.

If its one person on their own and they are any good I can up it to 16k BUT they have to be good.

• Like 1

Dear OP, I was reading all the responses and advice but I can’t figure out what is wrong with the situation.

You pay well above average, you provide housing, motorcycle etc...

Maybe to remote? I have 40 Thai workers, and I also take good care of them. As one of the posters suggested, I also work with yearly bonus but I don’t pay all at the same time at the end of the year. I pay every year on the date they started, this to spread the risk they all leave at the same time. All my workers bought a car meanwhile (although they have housing at the site) because they have to pay back the loan they stay..

Increasing the salary won’t work but maybe provide TV and wifi which was very well appreciated by our workers.

You have to give them something that they can appreciate every day so if they leave they will be in a worse situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, luk AJ said:

Dear OP, I was reading all the responses and advice but I can’t figure out what is wrong with the situation.

You pay well above average, you provide housing, motorcycle etc...

Maybe to remote? I have 40 Thai workers, and I also take good care of them. As one of the posters suggested, I also work with yearly bonus but I don’t pay all at the same time at the end of the year. I pay every year on the date they started, this to spread the risk they all leave at the same time. All my workers bought a car meanwhile (although they have housing at the site) because they have to pay back the loan they stay..

Increasing the salary won’t work but maybe provide TV and wifi which was very well appreciated by our workers.

You have to give them something that they can appreciate every day so if they leave they will be in a worse situation.

I have tried everything, i mean "eeeverything", but all they value is TV (those stupid soaps) and catching Geckos all day. Nothing works :smile:

You guys are on a dead end here ! I´m happy to be on the brink of retirement.

They made me 5 years older. No Joke !

Edited by starfish

Hiring good people is a problem across Thailand, the hotel where my wife works only wants older people as the young ones only last a couple of months at most. Too many 10,000b a month jobs out there

It’s an attitude originating from the geographical location. Enough rain, no winters and plenty of food and a slow pace because of the heat. So money was never an issue, not important. But western influence made them want luxury, house, car, clothes etc..
So their hunger for money grows and to keep up they need paid jobs but instead many bury themselves with heavy debts.

There have been many threads over the years regarding staff problems.

Good working conditions, incentives, perks and an over the top salary does not seem to work. Yet I have been to Thai shops, beach resorts, hotels where the same staff seem to be happy and have been there for many years. 

26 minutes ago, starfish said:

What i found out, they feel very uncomfortable working with farangs.

Perhaps this is the problem 

Maybe get a Thai manager to deal with staff and day to day running of the business, you just keep in the background so they hardly know you are there. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

There have been many threads over the years regarding staff problems.

Good working conditions, incentives, perks and an over the top salary does not seem to work. Yet I have been to Thai shops, beach resorts, hotels where the same staff seem to be happy and have been there for many years. 

Perhaps this is the problem 

Maybe get a Thai manager to deal with staff and day to day running of the business, you just keep in the background so they hardly know you are there. 

You say something true there

, but as i say, i´m over it :smile:

12 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

On 4/9/2018 at 6:05 AM, kannot said:

Most of them want the money but want to do as  little  as  possible as badly as  possible , the work ethic  is appalling here, thats the reality of staff weve seen in general, there are exceptions, the Wifes  sister is a great worker but she lives in Loei and she doesnt  want to live down here and weve found also in the Wifes  business of condo management and sales that out of every 10 workers you might find ONE who is the exception, works  well,  rarely  ill, clean , tidy , thoughtful, careful and they get well rewarded, the vast majority are  dross, doesnt matter what you pay them, doesnt  mater how  kind  you are with them, theyll take and take and take and give nothing back.

Some people commenting here it seems they have zero actual experience of the reality of hiring staff in Thailand.

we  pay one man 16k baht a month, thats a lot for this  work and plenty enough for Thais to  more than survive on especially  with the job perks of free  house, electric,  water, motorbike, fish, rice etc

It's been interesting to read through this thread.  I look forward to reading how you solve the puzzle.  Working without a "high position", super title or a facebook "like" generating gig is not cool for most Thais . 

Post the position as "director of operations"....post to universities, and offer "ground-up" operations training and or co-ops.  

I was joking and kidding around with my wife this weekend, when I said... "OMG, this reminds me of when I was working at the office in Chon Buri".   I was referring to her son, his motivation/ethics, laying on the couch while we were working around/beside/above him.   He gets out of bed, moves to the couch, phone glued to his face 24/7, doesn't listen (to anyone),  "gently" teaching/coaching basic life skills 100's times...nope, no chance of offering his assistance around the house, show up on time...555 best of luck, only shows a resemblance of pleasantries when a cash infusion, "gift" or opportunity to flaunt is involved.   

For Thai men, ego trumps humility.   For Thai women....well

Edited by CanuckThai
penmanship

5 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Post the position as "director of operations"....post to universities, and offer "ground-up" operations training and or co-ops

Well, that would work, i assume, and probably taking over my business, but then it would go downhill, like Schnitzelhaus to "Shnizelhouse" :smile:

15 hours ago, mogandave said:

Why is it greedy to do do as you wish with your life?

That´s the point, they just don´t want money, it´s something we thought of, to pursue. You´r so right. Money is secondary. In fact, i didn´t find any love in money, did you, guys ? !

Thank you for waking me up "mogandave"

No joke, i salute you !

But i´m still here without staff :smile:

Edited by starfish

Hello mate, just thought I'd give you a different take on all the other comments regarding your 'staff' situation.

I recognise that the T&C's you are offering are way more than minimum wage here. But, in my humble experience, it won't work.

For me, the average country folk Thai wouldn't be seen dead living and working for a farang on a permanent basis and probably not for a hi-so Thai either.

We rented out our front house to a couple of chaps who, after a while, moved on. We asked that they did work around the place to off-set rent, electric, etc, no chance. The last one we kicked out, pisshead.

The only regular people we have are the tappers who live off-site but with whom we have the usual business arrangement.

If I were you I'd go the other way. Garner relationships with locals and employ on a daily basis and rate. If you need someone to cut pineapple leaves for a week every few months, hire them in, I'm sure you could get them for B3-400/day.

Likewise weeding/spraying, there are guys we use here and charge on a per 20 litre backpack basis.

Watering trees, well, put in drip irrigation on timers.

Building work, same, on daily rates,  B500 labourer, B700 supervisor/day. We've had men and women here, once a 70 year old who came to hand mix morter. You need a rapport with these guys, have a beer and somtam together at the end of the day. I pay my guys the above rates two weeks in arrears (5 month build) which keeps them here and keeps them sweet.

Sometimes you'll get a full crew, other times they're weeding tapioca or delivering mangoes to BKK or helping out on each others farms  - my builders are also farmers.

My point I suppose, is that they don't think like you and me and prefer to work when they choose, not you. For me that's fair enough.

Plus, you do have a bit of an attitude problem towards workers and Thais in general and probably have a bit of a reputation in your locality which will definitely put people off - Thais love to gossip you know.

Anyway, just my two-penneth worth.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1