Finding Staff

kannot

How do  you find staff to work on the land? its a perpetual problem now, The Burmese  all want to work in factories with overtime, The  Thais dont want to do it at all. Although recently had a few "no hopers" claimed had experience but reality had  kitten soft  hands

Ive had the latest pair leave after 12  days (Thai ) with the normal  "mum sick excuse" the work hours were 6.30 am till 1030 am then 3 until 6pm, the reason is when its HOT its  better to do it like this so they have 4.5  hours in the middle  of the day when they dont have to work. When its cooler they can change those times to 7-8 till 5pm

For ONE person the salary is 16000 baht and a 5  day week live on site own house free electric, motorbike, water free  fish. Thats  800 baht a day which Im sure is a LOT now for a 7 hour day 5  days a  week.

For TWO people its 18000 BUT the woman only has to work 2 hours a  day and only 5  days a  week also.

Burmese and migrant workers are  too much of a pain now due to all the registration nonsense, the problem is they leave after a  week/month etc and its expensive to do all the paperwork and very time consuming.

So how did "you" find  staff??

I had 1  Burmese  guy for  20  months then he just left said  too hot, all the others and there have been many  all have the same story."Mum sick then go and NEVER any notice at all, ranging from 6  months  stay to 12  days.

Am getting pretty tired of the whole affair and thinking of selling up what took me 5  years to do  in many cases on my own.

The land is 8 rai of pineapples which is the  fruit which requires the least amount of work, leaves need  cutting every 5  months, weeds  get sprayed by an outside contractor.

If you know anyone interested PM me looking for someone LONG term 10years +

Maybe part of the problem is the your discriminatory pay scale?  

B16000pm for 140 hours work for the single person (a man(?), B114 per hour) yet when a woman comes into the equation you pay her just B50 per hour (B2000 over the same 20-day period for 2 hours per day, i.e. 40 hours work)?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Just Weird said:

B16000pm for 140 hours work for the single person (a man(?), B114 per hour) yet when a woman comes into the equation you pay her just B50 per hour (B2000 over the same 20-day period for 2 hours per day, i.e. 40 hours work)?

To be honest  w e only have work for 1  person but if  the wife can come she can clean twice a week for maybe 2  hours and thats really all she'll have to do so 4  hours a  week also lets explain the discrimination a bit, can the woman shovel tons of stone? can she move blocks, can she dig trenches? although this  work will  be very occasional as Ive done 90% myself, the man will be doing all the work, the woman is just there for company but would prefer she get a job locally. Yes I know women who will do this  but MOST dont/wont

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Guaranteed it is a function of wages and working conditions.

I'm sure the OP realizes this and will find a work around.

• Like 2

Call the King Monkul Technical University and let them build a robot...i have one here by the way.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor pineapple farm

So the job is cutting/collecting the pineapples from a field like this right? That seems easy for a robot.

You may want to consider a salary and a percentage of the  yield. That normally provides the incentive to stay and be part of the process rather than just a 'worker' 

People just don't want to  do manual labor anymore.  Tractors have replaced the Water Buffalo and harvesting machines exist for certain products.  A robot could be designed but it would be costly.

What has kept Thailand so independent for centuries is it's ability to grow more food than it needs and export the rest. should this breakdown and the land remain unworked, a radical change in Thailand will take place and not necessarily for the better.

In the West where robots are taking jobs in manufacturing that have been generally high paying- a new permanent class of the unemployed will emerge. Governments are talking about providing people a standard wage- for doing nothing.

I would hope somewhere Thai social scientists are sitting down talking about future automation and how it will affect the land; jobs; and the economy.  Just because you have the ability to do something- build robots; rockets to Mars or nuclear power plants doesn't mean you have to do it.

23 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

You may want to consider a salary and a percentage of the  yield. That normally provides the incentive to stay and be part of the process rather than just a 'worker' 

People just don't want to  do manual labor anymore.  Tractors have replaced the Water Buffalo and harvesting machines exist for certain products.  A robot could be designed but it would be costly.

What has kept Thailand so independent for centuries is it's ability to grow more food than it needs and export the rest. should this breakdown and the land remain unworked, a radical change in Thailand will take place and not necessarily for the better.

In the West where robots are taking jobs in manufacturing that have been generally high paying- a new permanent class of the unemployed will emerge. Governments are talking about providing people a standard wage- for doing nothing.

I would hope somewhere Thai social scientists are sitting down talking about future automation and how it will affect the land; jobs; and the economy.  Just because you have the ability to do something- build robots; rockets to Mars or nuclear power plants doesn't mean you have to do it.

Well he also used technology to ask for staff, could have asked the  neighbours or village instead.

It's time Thailand grows up and starts using technology...maybe this farm is too small for a robot to let it run every day and keep the costs down. In that case he needs a bigger farm...and if he won't do it another person will do soon.

24 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

"....I would hope somewhere Thai social scientists are sitting down talking...."

Actually they are on some points but doubtful that 'overall' is getting much discussion.

Some Thai uni's have a sociology faculty and one is outstanding in the research and analysis they have been doing for years about 'leave the kids with grandma' and go and work in a factory often hundreds of kilometres away.

The uni concerned has identified a number of specific strongly negative effects on:

- The value of a nuclear family where the kids interact and are under the direct care and teaching of mum and dad every day.

- Where this is not happening it's been well proven that these kids grow up with no idea how to be parents, no idea of the role of mother and father and what mother and father would typically focus on etc., day by day. And no idea who should discipline the children.

- Further quality of education suffers in many ways e.g. homework is never done, grandma often doesn't push them to go to school, etc.

But the thing which is lacking is that, from my limited exposure to this, government doesn't look at the data and analysis.

Not good for Thailand.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BarnicaleBob said:

My suggestions are to hire just the man you need and let him have his wife stay with him without a contract to work for you.  This way she can work elsewhere and make more money.  Also if you find a need for the wife to help cleaning house or whatever, just hire her on a per day bases and only when she is needed and has time.  I would suggest 350 baht on a per day for her if she works for you from time to time. 

My next suggestion is to let the man decide for himself what hours he wants to put in his 7 hours a day.  Give him some latitude in these type of decisions and he will be more inclined to stay on.  You must remember, they are people just as you are and have their own needs and goals in life, take that in consideration.

Feedback ( as  such) from other staff is its  too  hot which is why I work as  soon as its  light 6 am to about 10-10-30 then again at about 3. What I dont want is  them working 9-5 then saying its too hot because you can mitigate  most of this by doing those  hours. Up to them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

If you don't find people to do the job you obviously don't pay enough for this job. Solution: Increase the salary until you find somebody

It doesnt work, they want the big salary but not the work

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

You are wrong, even if he increases the salary he will still have the same problem.

When i came home after 7 months in hospital, i needed a carer when my wife was at work.

Wifes cousin wanted the job, ok start tomorrow, she was paid good money for her time, after 3 months, she said i tired to work, i stay home p[laying on the internet, 4  weeks later wanted to work again lasted 2 months stopped, came back again wanting to work, lasted 1 week.

People here who are not already working do not want work.

100%  correct!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Your problem seems to be the scourge of this Nation now.

People do not want to work at all, they seem to think that by sitting round all day on their <deleted>, that money will just drop into their laps.

I  have had very similar problems, and increasing the pay rate really is not an option, as when the pay is increased, the aptitude and attitude only change for a week or so and then its back to the status quo.

Best solution so far by a mile in this thread is Barnacle Bob

Employ only the man

Tell him his wife is welcome to stay with him, with the possibility of house work from you ( tell him the rate for this + hours Etc )

Suggest to the guy that he will be working 8AM to 12 noon , 1 hour for lunch and then 1 till 5 although this may at times need to be flexible and also suggest that some overtime will be required from time to time ( and you find him extra work constructive to enhance his pay )

If its at all possible provide some kind of Apartment for them, or a room ( if he had to find for himself he would pay for a room + electric + water ) Maybe worth about 2000 / month

As for a Thai woman moving tons of stone and lifting blocks about and digging trenches - you bet she can , and would probably welcome working with her man.

The staff get, free  house, free electric, tv , fridge, Motorbike, free fish, free  drinkable water, free pineapples, mangos, pappaya.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

It would depend on the type of work that each is doing. If the man is doing outside work in the heat then I would pay him more. If the woman is only doing housework inside with no haevy work then she gets paid accordingly.

In addition to getting paid they also live on site own house free electric, motorbike, water free  fish.  That also adds to the salary. Put together that is worth over 20,000 baht a month and all they have to pay for is food.

They can actually very easily grow their own on the land next to their house.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToddinChonburi said:

Funny I see women working construction here all the time and on road crews maybe you would be better off hiring a women.  Most men here appear to lazy to work.

As I said it really requires one person so a single  woman would be ok BUT they dont want to live alone,

= "afraid".

I have a couple starting on the 20th who someone on the forum put me in contact with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Your points taken.

Not what you want to hear but the economic dynamics are all changing and will change more.

Perhaps the time is coming fairly soon where most agricultural activity in Thailand moves to very large computerized farms with lots more mechanization.  And at the same time Thailand is trying to do another rev up of industrialization creating thousands of more factory 9 - 5 etc., jobs.

We have farmers in my extended Thai family (all over 55 years old), several have between 80 to 200 rai of good farming land, they can't get workers and they can't do all the work themselves and their kids are absolutely not interested, off to BKK or regional centres studying IT, engineering, business etc., no intention whatever to work on family farm.

IMHO a bit longer-term migrant workers will stay home.

No easy answer. I do wonder if farmers need to do some serious thinking about their future and make some hard decisions. 

Is the answer to sell to the farmers who have big vision? When? Or is there a not yet seen answer?

Even the Burmese  now only want factory jobs and only with overtime, was told recently by an agent, and they flit  from one factory to another if the overtime stops.

I do not know where you are kannot but up here we are lucky that the local, and maybe not so local, Hmong people are always looking for work. They work hard under any conditions, not like some of the Thais we have used. If you have any in your locality they would be worth contacting.

• Like 1