Why do Thais not care about a neat and clean home?

CLW

5 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

And my dear fellow poster, I do hope that you did not take my comment as aimed directly to your post. Thank your for sharing your thoughts.

No I did not take it as aimed at me, i know that half of the time I am defending Thais here on the forum. Just mean that different does not always mean bad. We all set different priorities.. who is to judge what is good and bad (unless it endangers things)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, djayz said:

What a load of waffle! 

My parents own their house outright - no mortgages, no loans, no credit (not even credit cards do they have), nothing! Yet the place, both inside and outside, is so clean you could literally eat your dinner off the floor.

Some people are just born dog lazy, live like animals and are as happy as pigs in muck. 

I believe we all have the right to live as we chose, but don't waffle on about Westerners being clean only because we have mortgages. 

Most people here don't clean because 1) they're too lazy to do so ("too hot to cleaning" or "favourite TV series on now") or 2) they were never raised with the concept of cleaning, keeping the house spic and span, doing house chores on a regular basis. 

This is one of the few issues my missus and I don't see eye-to-eye on. 

I'll jump in now

Your right, & to add the reasons why they don't do maintenance like we westerners is that most of them are in hock to their eye balls paying for the house , car ect

5 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

The Mrs, and also her folks, like to have a lot of useless stuff laying around the house that makes it look a tad clattered, but the houses are cleaned everyday. Whereas back home, nowhere near as much stuff laying about the place, but by no means was the place cleaned as often.

We just added a storage space when we built the outdoor kitchen, so now inside is a win win.

Hmmm... I am mostly guilty here in the house for having the most stuff and taking up the most room, gf on the other hand prefers to have as little stuff as possible so its easy to move around. 

3 hours ago, BuaBS said:

Thais don't understand hygiene as we know it .

Cleaning ladies in hotels/motels are a good example.

If there is no need for hygiene , there's no need to be neat and tidy.

They know a lot more about personal hygiene

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

How can you judge all Thais together?

Anyone, other than a tourist, learns the hierarchical social system.

Some at the bottom of the ladder live in pits, rice farmers etc, similar to trailer trash in the US. Most I know have maids, and therefore spotless houses. Any foreigner that can't afford a maid probably married a woman on the same social rung.

12 minutes ago, JOC said:

So according to your wisdom, people who have lived here 15-20 years, should not comment on anything Thai related, because we have to visit immigration from time to time?

Makes (no) sense....:coffee1:

And since replies here have been quite Thai friendly.....I doubt very much, that it will leave any Thai citizens traumatized...

Same around the world isn't it

No harm in comparing cultures - keeps it interesting 

Like when you visit an country - why? how? amazing?

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Some at the bottom of the ladder live in pits, rice farmers etc, similar to trailer trash in the US. Most I know have maids, and therefore spotless houses. Any foreigner that can't afford a maid probably married a woman on the same social rung.

Really 

Well not all people have the chance to be in the same position as you (with your maid )

They would no doubt want to be but lifes struggles may have denied them that (it's a very discrimenative world out there )

It takes both levels of society to achieve ones means - If the Low Sohs stopped working the Hi Sohs no have & it certainly wouldn't be due to the Hi Sohs that the Lo Sohs have

So you obviously belong on your horse with your Maid sweeping up the shit because we Low Sohs have much more pride & are not a lazy bunch as to not be able to look after our own castle we worked hard for 

Half the thais will not accept a maid 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I raised the idea of hiring a maid once, long ago. Mrs. thought it was (a)  subtle criticism of her cleaning abilities (it wasn't), (b) a waste of perfectly good money, as she'll be bound to clean "Thai style" (I know, I know...), and (c) doesn't like having strangers in the house (can relate to that).

Perhaps when we're older, but by then they'll have proper robots for that.

The longer one stays in Thailand the less we see the filth perhaps. We develop an immunity perhaps to the Thai ways. Consider in Issan how many have never lived in a house with painted walls, never washed their dishes inside the house. Now all of a sudden they are living in a new house with painted walls, fancy brass colored railings, multiple inside bathrooms. You get the picture, but it still doesn't explain why outside the houses trash is everywhere. Before panties get all bunched up let me say that this was my experience where I was. It was a very, very rural area. They are good people don't get me wrong. Went to a wedding at a real crappy place, but the father of the bride couldn't be bothered to knock down the weeds or pick up the ageless plastic, bottles and crap laying around. That wouldn't have cost him a satang. But the funny thing is not all are like that, a few folks just as poor but were more productive. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

To westerners they consider homes as their castles, but the reality is, that in most owned western homes the buyers are mortgaged up to their necks and therefore have to keep their properties up to certain standards otherwise they won`t be able to sell and the banks/mortgage lenders won`t give loans on properties that are in dilapidated conditions. In other words, property owners in western countries become trapped in a system where they have to live and work for many years for the upkeep of their properties.

In Thailand whereas they place more emphasis on land values and properties can be cheaply built, they consider their homes as just roofs over their heads not as assets of investment value.

Now you know.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbLSN-GxAfEEK79qjQkW2

• Confused 1

No one here is judging or generalising. It's just observations, impressions and opinions.
Apart from that in my personal opinion anyone that hires a maid is 1) very lazy and 2) has money to burn.
Because in other than low wage countries of Asia it is very costly to hire a maid.
Just tell you a example of my Indian friend who lives here now. They had maids for everything in their house.
Now being alone here he is seriously not able to wash and iron clothing, clean properly, cook food etc.
This is more than a proof of somebodys inadequacy at a age of 20 years.
But if you are raised like this and not ashamed of yourself, carry on.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Morch said:

I raised the idea of hiring a maid once, long ago. Mrs. thought it was (a)  subtle criticism of her cleaning abilities (it wasn't), (b) a waste of perfectly good money, as she'll be bound to clean "Thai style" (I know, I know...), and (c) doesn't like having strangers in the house (can relate to that).

Perhaps when we're older, but by then they'll have proper robots for that.

As attractive the idea might sound,I don't care how" prorer" robots get , I am not replacing my wife with a robot!!  Haven't you seem the movie WestWorld?:tongue:

7 hours ago, CLW said:

No one here is judging or generalising. It's just observations, impressions and opinions.
Apart from that in my personal opinion anyone that hires a maid is 1) very lazy and 2) has money to burn.

Is that not judging?

People hire maids as they are cheap.

When husband an wife are both professionals earning decent money, it just makes sense to get a maid.

Our Vietnamese maid costs something like $10 a day.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, djayz said:

With all due respect, I honestly don't believe it has anything to do with money or payments. It's a mentality thing. 

Do I stay at home and clean or go out and meet my friends for somdam aroi maak? That is the question. 

I see it daily in my home... 

Ignore the dirt and get out quickly. It's "too late/hot/dark" to clean... (honestly, I've already cleaned up by midday anyways). 

We're not going to change this mentality overnight. 

There'll still be monkeys to train tomorrow. 

Are you calling your Thai wife/relatives monkeys?

Whatever next.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

Crikey! My wife is for sure the cleanest person I have ever met. Everything is washed, scrubbed, polished, tidied or vacuumed to within an inch of its existence. She is also almost OCD about personal hygiene. Its like living in a hospital. Trouble is she holds me to the same standards!

She is from an Isaan farming family....

Always taking a risk there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sirineou said:

As attractive the idea might sound,I don't care how" prorer" robots get , I am not replacing my wife with a robot!!  Haven't you seem the movie WestWorld?:tongue:

I have......now stuck with an image of Yul Brynner in an apron going around the house mopping the floor. But seriously, guess there comes a time when home maintenance (including cleaning) of a largish house become a bit much. Same reason we went for a single floor design.

17 hours ago, djayz said:

What a load of waffle! 

My parents own their house outright - no mortgages, no loans, no credit (not even credit cards do they have), nothing! Yet the place, both inside and outside, is so clean you could literally eat your dinner off the floor.

Some people are just born dog lazy, live like animals and are as happy as pigs in muck. 

I believe we all have the right to live as we chose, but don't waffle on about Westerners being clean only because we have mortgages. 

Most people here don't clean because 1) they're too lazy to do so ("too hot to cleaning" or "favourite TV series on now") or 2) they were never raised with the concept of cleaning, keeping the house spic and span, doing house chores on a regular basis. 

This is one of the few issues my missus and I don't see eye-to-eye on. 

yes, i agree, my parents have a huge house which has been mortgage free for many years and also a 2 bedroom caravan about an hours drive away which is their holiday home - both spotlessly clean.  They have just bought myself and my brother a house as well to avoid inheritance tax, and its also spotless - well at the moment it is, when me and my brother are in, we are going to have to keep ontop of the cleaning as i'm sure my dad will be over to check we are keeping it tidy most days.

• Like 2