What day this week will there be mass exodus from bkk to isan?

ubonr1971

28 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Did that one year and then never ever again.

This redefines the definition of the word traffic jam.

Full tank of petro, plus extra, food, water, cold drinks, snacks etc to hold you over 14 hours

and empty bottles for relief.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Full tank of petro, plus extra, food, water, cold drinks, snacks etc to hold you over 14 hours

Took me 8 hours to get to Korat from BKK a couple of years ago. The 150km or so from Saraburi to Korat bypass is painful. Up past the reservoir and Pak Chong is like a traffic jam with limited toilet facilities.  Going south this year, so expecting it to be busy, but hoping on sheer numbers alone, that it will be better than going NE.

Water, cold drinks is a good idea until there are no gas stations to stop at for 3 hours! Take a bottle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Thursday is a holiday (at least for some, we are working) declared by the government. So expect the rush to start Wednesday PM.

Yep, we close this afternoon until next Tuesday. All our guys & gals that are travelling are planning on setting off early tomorrow morning. Bit of a company BBQ today (with mini-buses laid on as we are going for a no drink-drive policy for the staff) so doubt many people will be travelling today

My wife left Bangkok last night and arrived home just out side of Phibun in Ubon around

8 hours later. Not too busy by all accounts and incident free which was a relief to me having

read of tales of carnage on the interweb.

Edited by shy coconut

As miserable as it is getting out of BKK, I've always found returning after the holiday to be even worse.  Maybe it's the letdown of back-to-work, all the lost sleep, etc.  But the drive always seems to take 20-30% longer on the return.

In the interest of equal time, what are the predictions for the jams next week?

8 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Sheesh, jump on a Plane, its cheap enough.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, impulse said:

As miserable as it is getting out of BKK, I've always found returning after the holiday to be even worse.  Maybe it's the letdown of back-to-work, all the lost sleep, etc.  But the drive always seems to take 20-30% longer on the return.

In the interest of equal time, what are the predictions for the jams next week?

The predictions are the same as they were last year, and the year before that.

9 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

The predictions are the same as they were last year, and the year before that.

Not necessarily.  The days off seem to change from year to year, as well as the traffic patterns...

28 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

Sure, if all you want to do is polish a barstool.   Ever try hopping on a plane with the wife, 2 kids, a few bicycles, a cooler full of perishables and beer, and all the other things normal families use on holiday? 

For me, it's kayaks and SUP's.  Even the inflatables can drive up the cost of a flight because of the ridiculously low domestic baggage allowance.  And last time I looked, about 99% of Thailand is outside of walking distance from the nearest airport, just like my apartment.  That's why God invented the family vehicle.

Edited by impulse

Too late.

It has long begun yesterday.

Probably not the excess like from tommorow but terrible enough.

How do you like that (from yesterday):

https://twitter.com/bbarling/status/983846524051382272

One granddaughter will travel with friend tonight from Ayutthaya to our place by pickup (about 410 km).

Last years travel time was 12 hours.

I don't expect them to arrive before sunrise.

The village is filling up with cars not seen all year.

Bangkok taxis driving around :biggrin:

A clear indication.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

Hahaha!

Try to book a flight today for the following days.

If there is one or two seats available on one of five flights, it will cost 3000 to 4000 oneway.

Edited by KhunBENQ

17 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

Is it on Thur or Fri that there will be loads of cars heading to Isan? Is Friday the big traffic day?

How many cars in a row have you seen in your life?

200 km bumper to bumper e.g.

Too late to even think about it.

5 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Water, cold drinks is a good idea until there are no gas stations to stop at for 3 hours! Take a bottle.

And a p... pot :biggrin:

Never in my life have I seen such a chaos on the road.

The queues to the filling stations go up the driveway for long.

No chance to enter even for a decent visit to the toilet.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Want to fly Bangkok - Khon Kaen?

5 flights a day,

The three available do not show any details (schedule, flight number).

The booking system is completely at the edge.

bkkkkc.jpg

Found it. 13 April, 3 seats on an evening flight.

So hurry up.

Sat 14 is the first day with some availability.

Edited by KhunBENQ

19 minutes ago, impulse said:

Ever try hopping on a plane with the wife, 2 kids, a few bicycles, a cooler full of perishables and beer, and all the other things normal families use on holiday? 

For me, it's kayaks and SUP's.  Even the inflatables can drive up the cost of a flight because of the ridiculously low domestic baggage allowance. 

Sounds like a bit of Beverly Hillbillies moving operation.  Have you ever heard of traveling light.  Would you need the bicycles, kayaks, coolers etc if you took a family vacation in Bhutan or trekking in Nepal.  Do you travel with beer every where you go?  Other countries also sell it?

Edited by torrzent

5 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Sounds like a bit of Beverly Hillbillies moving operation.  Have you ever hear of traveling light.  Would you need the bicycles, kayaks, coolers etc if you took a family vacation in Bhutan or tekking in Nepal.  Do you travel with beer every where you go?  Other countries also sell it?

Some people are perfectly content to drive 8 hours to sit around a hotel pool.  More power to them.  Some aren't.  I'm one of those. 

I can't imagine why anyone would take a beach holiday and not get on the water.  Or a mountain holiday and not get out on a trail.  But that's me.  Flying doesn't work because of the limitations at each end (can't get away from the crowds) and the deplorable choice of rental equipment in most domestic areas.  And that's why I'll probably never take a vacation in Bhutan, or go trekking in Nepal.  Just call me Jethro... 

I took the oath back in 1988 so I haven't gone anywhere with a beer in 29 years.  But I don't begrudge those whose habits and preferences differ from mine.

I have just checked through some sources (Google, CCTV cams) and currently/right now the exodus has not begun yet.

Traffic not that heavy yet.

But as tomorrow is the first official government holiday I assume right now is your last chance.

This morning I drove the district town where a major route (201) from the south is going to.

Unusually heavy traffic but no jam/gridlock.

Edited by KhunBENQ

In Udon,  traffic noticeably increased as of yesterday, and slightly problematic this morning. Ring road not congested yet but some feeder roads are. I hope to not venture very far until tuesday next week! (We have massive road works on the junction to Nong Khai, i am assuming gridlock anywhere near there for the next 2 days).