Massive exodus of people from Bangkok by buses, private cars, trains and planes begins amid official safety campaign launch

webfact

Massive exodus of people from Bangkok by buses, private cars, trains and planes begins amid official safety campaign launch

By Thai PBS

cars.jpg

As massive exodus of people working in Bangkok begins leaving the capital for family reunions in upcountry homes to celebrate the Thai traditional new year or Songkran, state agencies yesterday joined together to launch a campaign to ensure the people return homes safe and sound.

Among the campaign is the “No Drink Driving” or no alcohol drinking before and during driving. Yesterday the Ministry of Transport kicked off the anti-drink driving campaign to promote road safety as the long five-day festival holiday is to start tomorrow.

The campaign was jointly held by the Don’t Drive Drunk Foundation, and the state-run Transport Company. Transport Minister Arkom Termpittayapaisith said the campaign is aimed at raising public awareness on road safety in a bid to reduce the number of casualties caused by driving under the influence of alcohol.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/massive-exodus-people-bangkok-buses-private-cars-trains-planes-begins-amid-official-safety-campaign-launch/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-11

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I'm going with 64 deaths/day average over the next week !!

Campaign won't make the slightest difference, even with Chicken Essence drinks :)

I, for one, look forward to partaking in my free government-supported super chicken essence magic fatigue combating drinks, no matter what some skeptical farangs may think. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hansnl said:

I do feel this yearly killing spree isn't really a joking matter.

It's a shame.

Definitely no joking matter... The joke is that they only campaign at this time of year, when in fact the daily death toll is the same on average throughout the year !!

• Like 2

I already feel sorry for the families that are going to be grieving and arranging funerals over the next week or 2, I called a friend  today who lives the other side of Korat, he decided to drive into town this morning (Wednesday) the drive to Korat was a doddle, the journey back to Phimai took him over 2 hours (50 km) 

My Mrs did the shopping today in Patts we will just visit our local bars and restaurants until the madness is over.

Be careful out TV buddies, I wanna see you back here after the madness 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately if there not drunk and a bit cross eyed they will be texting instead. A much better campaign would be stay sober and both hands on the wheel. Blitz the ads on TV 24/7 as it takes a loooong time for it to sink in 

• Like 1

No drink driving is a good start. No using the phone while driving, no speeding, no jumping red lights,  no sudden manouvres without using indicators, no pulling out without bothering to look, no driving like a complete idiot etc.The list of things the campaign needs to address is quite extensive.

• Like 2