Road deaths, injuries up for first 2 days of Songkran

rooster59

4 hours ago, YetAnother said:

beating us about the head with the obvious; the numbers are nutsly bad

No really, no wonder he is a Colonel , such illumination from a SENIOR Govt spokesperson , heavens above next they will be saying that drivers are educated enough ...............The mind simply boggles ..........!!!!!!

4 hours ago, edwinchester said:

60,000 drinks arrested in just two days is an absolutely staggering number and shows that drivers just don't give a <deleted> about other road users.

Whoever is is charge should hang their head in shame and resign because it's obvious they have no idea how to deal with the problem.

That quoted figure only represents those caught, remember. 

Why so many negative comments about the way the police are dealing with it. I guess they are doing their best. Thai mentality rules and evolution takes a long long time.

Come back in 1,000 years and I am sure things will be better.

Den

2 hours ago, peperobi said:

I really do not understand The Nation and Thai Visa, a few months ago you wrote about 26,000 death people by road accidents per year this is an average of 71 peoples a day now during the peak time Songkran is 99 in two days so less than the year average...can someone tell me what the true is.

The problem you see is caused by different reporting and collation bodies providing statistics

the 71 per day number (I thought it was 66, but never mind) is the number that the WHO came up with, at the conclusion of the year.... its the official number according to the international group.

any lower numbers, as in the numbers supplied on a daily basis, are provided by Thai authorities.... these numbers usually seem to be about half of what WHO report.

so.... One group is lying.... you pick which one you reckon it is ?

• Haha 1

Really, this gruesome statistic is something that this so-called government could, if they cared at all, have tried to address, but year after year it just gets worse. Still, we have new submarines ...

2 hours ago, peperobi said:

I really do not understand The Nation and Thai Visa, a few months ago you wrote about 26,000 death people by road accidents per year this is an average of 71 peoples a day now during the peak time Songkran is 99 in two days so less than the year average...can someone tell me what the true is.

Some where too drunk to find their keys...

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Way to go Thailand. I knew you could do it. Keep up the excellent work  for being the Number 1 country for highway deaths in the world. NOT.

Wish I had invested in this stock.

Well, I went out on Friday morning about 11 o'clock just to get a few things and I thought 'Wow, the market road practically empty.' Then when I got on to ring road and traffic wasn't much and I was there an back in a short time. This morning was the complete opposite. On the market road (dual carriageway) I thought I was on a ruddy race track with most of them tail to tail. I was turning at a U-turn about 100 or so meters from the traffic lights on the ring road and heard a loud smash and when I stopped at the shop I wanted the people there were stretching their necks and looking towards the traffic lights. I didn't bother, bought my things and went home. absolute utter madness!

You need proper deterrents. What are the ramifications for these 60,000 drink drivers.....Will they lose their license and get fines equvialent to a couple of weeks wages. 

No!

Okay, so they’ll continue to do it until there is a proper policy in place in Thailand. Can Thailand not follow or learn from other countries vast reductions?  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, markaoffy said:

60,000 drunk drivers in 2 days, and that’s only the ones caught!! Ever need an example of how irresponsible and selfish people are !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

What blows me away is the paltry number of vehicles and licenses confiscated! Is this becuse most people don't have a license?

How do they let the drunk drivers off?  Surely, if they are guilty of drunk driving, they should be immediately charged, fined and, in some caes, jailed?

Typical anaemic response from the slly little generals corrupts legions of bully boys in brown and green.

I applaud the effort to catch them but, once caught, the idea should be to punish them severely otherwise where is the deterrent?

It's clearly not acting as such when the second day produces even more drunks drivers (and road kill) than the first highly publicised day.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Sirichan said that 32,592 of those cases involved motorcyclists. Officers have seized 835 motorcycles and total confiscated 356 motorcycle driving licences.

How to read this? 

835 - 356 = 470

• 835 bikes seized and 470 drivers did not have a license?
  • If driving a motorcycle while intoxicated your chances of having your licenses confiscated is about 1 out of 100 - that is if you have a license? So 99 out of 100 drunk motorcyclists leave the scene with their license!!!
  • If driving your motorcycle while drunk, your chances of having your motorcycle confiscated is about 2.5 out of 100?  So at least 97 out 100 drunk motorcyclists leave the scene with their motorcycles. 

"Oh look at the wonderful job we all are doing!!!" 
    They government should vet their numbers before releasing them.  They are saying 'look at the good job we are doing' where all I see in incompetence.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, saminoz said:

What blows me away is the paltry number of vehicles and licenses confiscated! Is this becuse most people don't have a license?

How do they let the drunk drivers off?  Surely, if they are guilty of drunk driving, they should be immediately charged, fined and, in some caes, jailed?

Typical anaemic response from the slly little generals corrupts legions of bully boys in brown and green.

I applaud the effort to catch them but, once caught, the idea should be to punish them severely otherwise where is the deterrent?

It's clearly not acting as such when the second day produces even more drunks drivers (and road kill) than the first highly publicised day.

Maybe it's the same procedure like when get stopped without a helmet ?
Pay your fine, keep the receipt and you are allowed to drink/drive for 24 hours...

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

This cannot be correct, before the holiday government lackies were spouting off about 7% reduction this year.

They said that there were measures in place to make songkran safer.

Just wait for the rigged figures at the end !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Surasak said:

Every year they spout off about how they are going to cut the number of accidents, deaths and injuries, and every year it gets worse. Perhaps if they kept their mouths shut, things could get better?:sorry:

When all is said and done....more will have been said than done !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

I knew that drink driving and dangerous driving here in Thailand was a major issue, but 60,000 in just 2 days ! ---- That were caught ( maybe 10% of the actual offenders )

Its time to start believing in God and start praying every time you go to the Supermarket in your car.

No; it's time to stay indoors for the whole 7 day period and venture forth later.   'Ordinary' days are already bad enough in this country full of Goons !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, maddox41 said:

Well the junta is in change  why not bam all private vehicles for Songkran and the government can cough up free transport 

No cars no bikes it'

Yeah right; lets have all those Double Deck Buses, and why not Trains as well driven by drugged up, pissed up, often over aged Morons crunching into each other and killing people en masse !

6 hours ago, starky said:

Don't think anyone here is surprised by this. Terribly sad RIP to those that have passed and also for the many, many more to come. :sad:

No RIP where the drunk drivers are concerned, I would say RIH. Rot in Hell.

• Like 2