113,960 drink drivers arrested and 2,991 vehicles seized in three days

rooster59

7 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Since motorcycles comprise about 80% of accidents/deaths it seems to me something should be done first about ridding Thailand of the "motorcycle disease" rather than crushing cars. Of course we'll see that happen about the same time we see RTP officers patrolling on bicycles in urban areas - not any time soon. Will Thailand ever shift to electric motorcycles? No, because they don't make enough noise, of course.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

So you want to deny poor people the right to transport.. because poor people use motorcycles.

That 80% of the deaths come from motorcycles does not mean much it could be a drunk car driver taking out motorcycles as its unlikely for a motorcylce driver who is drunk to take out a car.

I think you should think a little bit more about why there are so many motorcycle deaths.. that is not ONLY because of bad motorcycle drivers but often just bad driving cars taking out motorcycles. As a motorcycle its almost impossible to take out a car worst a drunk motorcycle can do is taking out an other motorcycle or himself.. druk car drivers on the other hand are a far larger danger as they almost never kill themselves during the accident. A motorcycle driver that is drunk will take himself out of the gene pool with far greater ease then a car drunk car driver who more often then not kills innocents.

No, I would deny most of them the privilege of transport by self-operated motorcycle, not deny them their general right to transport. In most countries operating a motor vehicle is a privilege and not a right. And I wouldn't limit this denial to just the motorbikes either, but given the 80% accident/death factor and other abuses, motorbikes would be the best place to begin to save the most lives, IMHO.

Many motorbike operators abuse their privilege, assuming they actually legally have it, by operating them in an unsafe manner, particularly speeding, and by not wearing proper safety equipment. Many more abuse their privilege by modifying their exhaust systems to produce ridiculous levels of hearing-damaging noise. Others misuse motorbikes by using them frivolously for short trips when they could have walked or ridden a bicycle. And it's not just the "poor people" who are abusing their motorbike operating privileges. There are plenty of more well-off motorbike operators with high-performance motorbikes that use (as an example) Rachada Phisek and Sukhumvit as their personal high-speed race track. I see and hear them every day I'm out there.

I know because I've been cycling and observing while sharing the road with all types of motor vehicle operators for the last 10 years in urban Bangkok, often up close and way too personal. I've been told the situation in the rural areas is even worse than urban Bangkok.

Frankly, the last two sentences in your reply make little sense to me. Anybody?

Edited by MaxYakov

9 hours ago, Bangkokazy said:

November 14, 2016

Altogether 37,268,655 vehicles. These are divided into 20,289,721 motorcycles, 8,146.250 passenger cars, 6,259,806 pick-up trucks, 1,049,749 trucks and 156,089 public transport.

So where are the " ting tong minibus " ?

There are minimum 85,000 minibus in Thailand, so 156,089 meno 85,000 = 71,089 buses and coaches ?

I don't think so, they are much more than 71,000

5 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

No, I would deny most of them the privilege of transport by self-operated motorcycle, not deny them their general right to transport. In most countries operating a motor vehicle is a privilege and not a right. And I wouldn't limit this denial to just the motorbikes either, but given the 80% accident/death factor and other abuses, motorbikes would be the best place to begin to save the most lives, IMHO.

Many motorbike operators abuse their privilege, assuming they actually legally have it, by operating them in an unsafe manner, particularly speeding, and by not wearing proper safety equipment. Many more abuse their privilege by modifying their exhaust systems to produce ridiculous levels of hearing-damaging noise. Others misuse motorbikes by using them frivolously for short trips when they could have walked or ridden a bicycle. I know because I've been cycling and observing sharing the road with all types of motor vehicle operators for the last 10 years, often up close and way too personal.

Frankly, the last two sentences in your reply make little sense to me. Anybody?

I prefer to risk my life being able to ride a motorbike thank you. Its a personal choice and causes far less pollution as cars. Seems you got a problem with motorbikes, that much is clear. Telling people to take  bike or walk.. your funny guy. You know that bike riders die easy too. Maybe should forbid that too.. i bet you would not like it.

My point was that someone driving a car badly or drinks and drives with a car does far more damage and more often to others than to themselves. A drunk motorbike rider (not that i condone drinking and driving I hate it) normally only kills himself. A car driver usually is protected enough not to kill himself but usually takes a few others (motorbikes) out in an accident. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, robblok said:

I prefer to risk my life being able to ride a motorbike thank you. Its a personal choice and causes far less pollution as cars. Seems you got a problem with motorbikes, that much is clear. Telling people to take  bike or walk.. your funny guy. You know that bike riders die easy too. Maybe should forbid that too.. i bet you would not like it.

My point was that someone driving a car badly or drinks and drives with a car does far more damage and more often to others than to themselves. A drunk motorbike rider (not that i condone drinking and driving I hate it) normally only kills himself. A car driver usually is protected enough not to kill himself but usually takes a few others (motorbikes) out in an accident. 

This thread is about Thailand's road carnage, not about specifically you or me. Try to stay on-topic, please.

However, I do find your anti-car, pro-motorbike position comparing the potential for death or injury of each very interesting. How would you rate heavy vehicles such as buses and semi-trailer trucks for their potential for death and injury w/r other, lighter and smaller vehicles? Should we keep those off the road? :stoner:

Edited by MaxYakov

12 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

This thread is about Thailand's road carnage, not about specifically you or me. Try to stay on-topic, please.

However, I do find your anti-car, pro-motorbike position comparing the potential for death or injury of each very interesting. How would you rate heavy vehicles such as buses and semi-trailer trucks for their potential for death and injury w/r other, lighter and smaller vehicles? Should we keep those off the road? :stoner:

You got a strange / extreme opinion about motorcycles its interesting probably given in by your dangerous habit to go biking in Thailand. You just seem to want to get rid of the motorbikes for your own selfish reasons.

The topic was drink driving, I personally don't care much if someone kills himself while he is drunk. Now on a motorbike its easy to do, however cars on the other hand usually don't result in own death but in others death. So yea when driving and drinking i rate cars as far more dangerous than motorbikes as the motorbike in general kills himself with less collateral damage then a car when driven drunk.

The bigger the more risk of course to damage others when driven drunk, I think that is obvious you on your bike driving drunk you would probably only harm yourself (unless in special circumstances) a Truck driven drunk.... 

16 hours ago, Nickymaster said:

It makes me sad too but Thailand is a special place. It's just too easy to blame the government. Of course law enforcement (in general) is a joke but many Thai people just don't care or think about the consequences of their actions. Many live for the moment and are extremely happy when they drink. Alchohol is often all they have to get some happiness. I have lived here for many years and have worked with many Thais at many levels and their mindset is very difficult to change. They will just jump in a car take their bike when they have been drinking. What I hear often is: Drink, Drink, Happy, Happy. 

I know what you mean. Sadly, the tune needs rewritting: Drink, Drink. Happy, Happy. Dead, Dead.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

You got a strange / extreme opinion about motorcycles its interesting probably given in by your dangerous habit to go biking in Thailand. You just seem to want to get rid of the motorbikes for your own selfish reasons.

The topic was drink driving, I personally don't care much if someone kills himself while he is drunk. Now on a motorbike its easy to do, however cars on the other hand usually don't result in own death but in others death. So yea when driving and drinking i rate cars as far more dangerous than motorbikes as the motorbike in general kills himself with less collateral damage then a car when driven drunk.

The bigger the more risk of course to damage others when driven drunk, I think that is obvious you on your bike driving drunk you would probably only harm yourself (unless in special circumstances) a Truck driven drunk.... 

All you motorcycle/motorbike operators in Thailand - Listen Up if you don't want someone to have to chose between cremation or casket for your lifeless body and/or spend a lot of time and money in a hospital due to some screw-up on the road!

Actually, I avoid all motor vehicles as much as possible when cycling in urban Bangkok and have many rules in place to do so. My most serious injury was from a bus at speed that made a reckless lane change, trapping me between it and a carelessly parked car and knocking me off my bike. My most recent was a van driver making a right turn into a driveway and didn't see me when I was perfectly visible with a high-visibility vest and not even moving fast. Hit and ran over my rear wheel, bending it beyond repair, and knocked the bike out from underneath me. Cost him 2,400 baht and my time and trouble, but I was lucky that he bent only my wheel and missed me entirely. I have yet to be hit by a motorbike, although I did T-bone one the other day on Rama IV. He thought he could get in front of me with impunity and I was supposed to stop for him.

The risk of the motorbike operator road is similar to that of a cyclist on the road - light, two/three-wheeled vehicles with minimal crash protection should not share the same road with heavier and potentially much faster and more stable vehicles. This is because bicycles, motorbikes and Tuk-Tuks do not have the personal crash protection and stability that modern cars and trucks have - controlled impact resistance, dynamic suspensions, seat belts, air bags, etc. This puts motorbike riders at a severe disadvantage come crash time, even if another vehicle is not involved. The advantage the cyclist has over the motorcycle is that they are usually not traveling at a high enough speed to cause severe injury or death and they can travel on safer parts of the road or even on the sidewalk if things get too crazy on the road.

But maybe the facts of the above escape many motorbike operators due their lack of common sense and ignorance of physical laws such as (K.E. = 1/2 mv2)

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, rooster59 said:

113,960 drink drivers arrested and 2,991 vehicles seized in three days

Nonsense....!!

Fake numbers made up by the police PR-department, to prove that the RTP are indeed enforcing the law....!!:coffee1:

Where are all the pictures of the seized vehicles and arrested drivers...?

17 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Brain disorder that can never be fixed.   It is a delusional population caught in a web of dumb self-centeredness, face, arrogance and denial.

My Thai Wife always says that Thai's all think they are 'clever' and that nothing can ever go wrong, no matter how badly they behave.

And if/when things "go wrong" is b/c of "bad luck." Really difficult to believe; especially if they believe in cause/effect/Buddhism. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, selftaopath said:

And if/when things "go wrong" is b/c of "bad luck." Really difficult to believe; especially if they believe in cause/effect/Buddhism. 

When things go wrong its "tayhong" an accident or buddas will, nothing to do with them.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

The Thai drink driving culture starts when they are still in nappies.

A good mate of mine described it as " The little Emperor Syndrome "

99% of all the male children are placed upon a pedestal from the moment they arrive on the Planet. They are cared for with the utmost diligence and care by the mother while the Father just puffs his chest out and says " thats my Boy ", and if then Mom does not perform her duties to the Boy the way the Father wishes , then god help her.

This generally carries on throughout the childs Schooling, with the same reverence shown to the child , not just by the parents but sometimes by the actual Teachers

This of course generates a sense of immortality,  and superiority in the child that is then carried over into its adult life, and shows itself in the general bad attitude that we all witness every day on the roads in Thailand, and creates so many bad drivers and many of them will be drunk because of the upbringing they have received .

And it shows in every walk of life they tread, not just driving !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Its hard to believe maybe but in my wife's family, I mean father brother sister, no one drink, my wife does not drink alcohol, never. 

My wife told me when they where young there was no alcohol in the house and her father said alcohol no good. 

iI is a very practising Buddhist family maybe it comes from there?

No alcohol in my house either. We drink outside.:burp:

23 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Drink driving is the action of morons, no matter where you live. 

I didn't say it wasn't.  I said they probably know full well they are smashed and carry on regardless because you suggested they were not aware that they weren't in a fit state to drive.

And drink-driving is not the action of morons, everybody here has driven whilst there is some level of alcohol in their body.  Driving over the limit is also not necessarily the action of a moron.  It might be fairer to say that driving whilst unable to drive is the action of a moron.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I didn't say it wasn't.  I said they probably know full well they are smashed and carry on regardless because you suggested they were not aware that they weren't in a fit state to drive.

And drink-driving is not the action of morons, everybody here has driven whilst there is some level of alcohol in their body.  Driving over the limit is also not necessarily the action of a moron.  It might be fairer to say that driving whilst unable to drive is the action of a moron.

I don’t recall suggesting anything about people being aware or not. You may think that, but that was not my intent. 

I was stating anyone who drinks and then drives is a moron. 

Anyone who thinks they can drive after drinking is a danger to everyone driving around them. 

Anyone caught doing so deserves to lose their licence, their car and, if the offence is repeated, their liberty. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2018 at 9:47 PM, kevvy said:

It just makes me sad , to think of all the families who will loose loved ones . And the government still wont do nothing about it .They have to  look at other countries and learn how they do it , it is not rocket science

Unfortunately, to the locals like most normal behavior it is rocket science.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1