Summer storms wreak havoc across Isaan

webfact

Summer storms wreak havoc across northeast

RAINS IMAGE.jpg

FILE photo

NAKHON PANOM, 16 April 2018 (NNT) – Summer storms have wreaked havoc in many areas of Thailand's northeast, affecting Songkran festivals. 

Nakhon Panom’s 2018 Songkran Festival space, setup at the Panomnaka atrium of the province’s municipal office, was heavily damaged by summer storms through the night. Downpours and high winds toppled tents and daamaged goods setup for the activity. Nearby residences were also damaged by the weather. 

A 40 minute storm in Nong Khai province hit the Pae Pan Rai tourist destination, severely damaging 20 of the area’s 24 pontoons along with local shops and its parking space. Locals noted that temperatures before the storm reached as high as 40 degrees Celsius for several days but the change in weather brought hail and heavy rain. Some 50 tourists had to be evacuated from the area but no injuries were reported. 

Sikornphumi district of Surin province experienced similar weather conditions with winds damaging homes as well as felling an over 100 year old Bodhi tree, which toppled onto six parked cars. Assistance is being provided to affected residents. Trees, including rubber trees, were similarly felled in the province’s Buachet district, where one resident’s home was completely demolished. A large tree, uprooted by winds, blocked the district’s main road, causing traffic to backup for about one kilometer. It has since been removed by locals.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-04-16

Absolutely hammered down here in Wichianburi last night about 6 pm ,i was lying semi comatose in the house,with the a/c going when the wind came. I opened up all the windows and the wind blew all the heat out the house then i had to close them as the wind driven rain was so strong it actually made ingress into the house under the sliding doors.

i expect the same today as it was intense heat 40c+ yesterday and today is predicted to be the same,so with the evaporation and heating no doubt we will have a repeat.

3 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Absolutely hammered down here in Wichianburi last night about 6 pm ,i was lying semi comatose in the house,with the a/c going when the wind came. I opened up all the windows and the wind blew all the heat out the house then i had to close them as the wind driven rain was so strong it actually made ingress into the house under the sliding doors.

i expect the same today as it was intense heat 40c+ yesterday and today is predicted to be the same,so with the evaporation and heating no doubt we will have a repeat.

Sweet! Still waiting for this here up north, sweltering ... hear some far thunder though, there's always hope ...

2 died, 892 houses damaged by wind storm in 19 provinces

By Thai PBS

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4ALQgu7iDkZi30UGjoDrw7cm

Two people died and 892 houses were damaged by wind storm that struck 19 provinces, mostly in the Northeast, during April 13-16, according to a report of the Department of Public Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.

The 19 wind-affected provinces include 12 northeastern provinces namely Loei, Nakhon Ratchasima, Roi-et, Khon Kaen, Kalasin, Nong Khai, Ubon Ratchathani, Surin, Chaiyaphum, Buri Ram, Udon Thani and Nong Bua Lamphu; four northern provinces of Nakhon Sawan, Lampang Phichit and Nan and one central province of Saraburi.

The department said officials of the department, military personnel and local officials had joined hands to survey the damage and to carry out house repairs from wind storm.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/2-died-892-houses-damaged-wind-storm-19-provinces/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-17