Poll for local residents: Songkran give me shelter! On a scale of 1 to 10 are you hiding or seeking?

Jingthing

Songkran Poll for local residents: Songkran give me shelter! On a scale of 1 to 10 are you hiding or seeking?  

110 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This poll is for local RESIDENTS only. 

Tourists are coming here this time of year to "enjoy" Songkran so they would skew the results.

Residents very often have a different perspective.

This year it's about EIGHT DAYS. 

That's a long time to either "enjoy" water "play" or avoid it.

At one extreme are complete shut ins that aren't leaving their shelter for the entire span of days.

OR 

Have left the country entirely!

On the other extreme are people seeking out the Songkran activities every day.

Obviously most people don't fall on those two extremes. 
So that's what this poll and topic is about.

On a scale of 1 to 10, are you HIDING or SEEKING Songkran?

Edited by Jingthing

I shall stay indoors in Jomtien until the end of the official holiday (tomorrow), at which point I will leave town for the duration of the final (and truly awful) couple of days of it here. I will come back at the weekend when all the madness has subsided everywhere.

Other years I simply left the country for the month and may well do so again next year.

• Like 1

i think you defined the issue perfectly in some thread: consensual or not,

i'm 100% for consensual and 100% against non consensual in all things,

be it attacks on motorcyclists or grouping.

i'm a lv 2 hider btw

• Like 1

Left at midnight on the 9th for Philippines.. Will be out of country for the duration of the madness.. I've only experienced 1 songkran, which was last year.. I loved the idea of it. The reality, not so much!

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I think it is easily enough to avoid for the week, and have no major problem with it.

But I admit to changing somethings I do during the week.

The 19th itself is one of my favourite days of the year in Pattaya.

Edited by TaaSaparot

16 April I had to make a run for supplies (aka Singha) around 11:30 a.m.

From Jomtien Beach Road Soi 13 to the 24 Food Mart, approximately 3 kilometers each way, I only came up against wetters twice. I was able to avoid them and was really surprised at the lack of folks making nuisances of themselves. Even traffic was very light.

Poll is for entertainment purposes only and unscientific and not conclusive, but it's still interesting to see the overwhelming sentiment towards HIDING with most people voting as I did, Level 2 Hiding, just short of the most extreme level of hiding. Cool! So maybe I'm not a freak. Just kidding. 

Also interesting to see how few people choose a level 5 -- BALANCE. 

18 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

Honestly, yesterday was so hot and muggy that I would have welcomed a good dousing

Didn't the thunderstorm yesterday reach Pattaya ?

There is another one on its way right now

look south towards Jomtien  you might see it !

Left Chiang Mai to stay in a Thai village where the locals have fun, but are sensible about it. Although I understand Chiang Mai was a lot quieter than previous years.

Last night, rain and thunderstorms all night in the Phan district.

Is this thread only for Jomtien/Pattaya residents? The last 2-3 years i stuck to level 2 on your list, before, for about 30 years, i  enjoyed level 10 at many places all over the country - except Pattaya.. It's not only because i'm aging, but over the years the festivities got more and more restricted to just a few areas and they are so overcrowded now that is just no fun anymore.

Just now, swissbie said:

Is this thread only for Jomtien/Pattaya residents? The last 2-3 years i stuck to level 2 on your list, before, for about 30 years, i  enjoyed level 10 at many places all over the country - except Pattaya.. It's not only because i'm aging, but over the years the festivities got more and more restricted to just a few areas and they are so overcrowded now that is just no fun anymore.

Yes it's meant for Pattaya area locals. That's because Pattaya is the most extreme Songkran zone in Thailand because it's lasts so BLOODY LONG!

• Like 1

Left 12th April for Bangkok, will be back in Pattaya Friday 20th .

Did not get wet one time in BKK and was out every day during the 3 day celebration to participate...from distance.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

Level 2 hiding.

I live in naklua, in what is generally a quiet side soi, have not  ventured out on to the main naklua road since the start.

Today of course is the " Big " naklua day for madness. I can hear it, staying in, as usual, well prepared.

Might cautiously venture out later for a sociable meet up with friends after dark but will avoid main naklua road, just stay on my soi.