British man beats  wife to death in Ubon Ratchathani

Jonathan Fairfield

I wonder how much this happens both here and when they go to the man's home country.

One wonders how many Thai women get married to an expat hoping to escape poverty and bring some wealth to their family, only to get bashed by the man who is meant to look after them.

It has to be said that many expats who marry Thai women have failed relationships behind them. 

As a Thai person looking as a foreigner it is very difficult to spot the potebtial wife basher through the barriers of language and culture.

4 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

I wonder how much this happens both here and when they go to the man's home country.

One wonders how many Thai women get married to an expat hoping to escape poverty and bring some wealth to their family, only to get bashed by the man who is meant to look after them.

It has to be said that many expats who marry Thai women have failed relationships behind them. 

As a Thai person looking as a foreigner it is very difficult to spot the potebtial wife basher through the barriers of language and culture.

thinks it's pretty irrelevant. happens all over the world all the time

nothing to suggest this lady was in any kind of poverty prior to her marriage. maybe wonder how many men/women get bashed by their partners full stop

many people who have failed marriages move on and remarry and many abusive partners don't show their true colours until later in a relationship, male or female, thai or farang or otherwise

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

thinks it's pretty irrelevant. happens all over the world all the time

nothing to suggest this lady was in any kind of poverty prior to her marriage. maybe wonder how many men/women get bashed by their partners full stop

many people who have failed marriages move on and remarry and many abusive partners don't show their true colours until later in a relationship, male or female, thai or farang or otherwise

The point I'm making is not negated by individual examples or gainsaying. The situation re-Thailand and Thai girls is that for 30 years many have been exploited by a particular kind of expat and lived in a situation either where there is no-one to help or where they are unable to find help due to language and culture.

i think that trying to mitigate or deny wife-bashing by saying it happens elsewhere, as it appears you are trying to do or denying there is a special problem with Thai expat marriages, is quite frankly very disturbing

Edited by Airbagwill

3 minutes ago, Chas UK said:

What's going to happen to these children? Do they get thrust into some kind of adoption/foster system or will the family be helped & encouraged to raise them?

Probably passed down the family chain..

• Like 1

23 hours ago, transam said:

I think some here are perhaps dismissing the fact that the Brit may have been a complete ass_ole that the bird has had to put up with over a period of time. Perhaps she came to a point where it was at breaking point and they had a problem..

I know a lady near me, a nice lady married to a farang who is a nutter, l know...When he had a few beers he would slap her about. She went to the cops to have a word with him, they did....

He had to sign a bit of paper to confirm he would not be abusive to her again..

Last I heard he was still being an ass_ole...Absolutely crackers....:sad:

Fair point. But we also don't know if she was a complete ass either. She might have been using the no sex, emotional blackmail, sour face stone silences to try and get her own way.

You just don't know with couples. But rows here can and do escalate quickly and beyond all proportion. 

I'd suggest that when bad rows occur, no one really forgives and forgets. It chips away at the relationship overtime. Everyone has their own breaking point. Some will be driven suicidal, others homicidal. And alcohol, if he'd been imbibing, would diminish the ability to comprehend the consequences and rationalize. 

Yep, he may have been a nutter and <deleted> to his wife; she may have been an unfaithful ex bar girl who had kept many "friends'. Or they both might have been decent normal people just caught up in some relationship issues that went terribly wrong. 

We'll never know. But tragic that lives have been ended and ruined and pity the poor children.

52 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

The point I'm making is not negated by individual examples or gainsaying. The situation re-Thailand and Thai girls is that for 30 years many have been exploited by a particular kind of expat and lived in a situation either where there is no-one to help or where they are unable to find help due to language and culture.

i think that trying to mitigate or deny wife-bashing by saying it happens elsewhere, as it appears you are trying to do or denying there is a special problem with Thai expat marriages, is quite frankly very disturbing

Why are you suggesting there are 'special problems" with Thai - Expat marriages? And are you suggesting that is the case regardless of whether the male or female partner is Thai? And are you suggesting similar with same sex marriages?

Do you have any bona fide research you can quote to support your ideas?

4 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Fair point. But we also don't know if she was a complete ass either. She might have been using the no sex, emotional blackmail, sour face stone silences to try and get her own way.

You just don't know with couples. But rows here can and do escalate quickly and beyond all proportion. 

I'd suggest that when bad rows occur, no one really forgives and forgets. It chips away at the relationship overtime. Everyone has their own breaking point. Some will be driven suicidal, others homicidal. And alcohol, if he'd been imbibing, would diminish the ability to comprehend the consequences and rationalize. 

Yep, he may have been a nutter and <deleted> to his wife; she may have been an unfaithful ex bar girl who had kept many "friends'. Or they both might have been decent normal people just caught up in some relationship issues that went terribly wrong. 

We'll never know. But tragic that lives have been ended and ruined and pity the poor children.

"Fair point. But we also don't know if she was a complete ass either. She might have been using the no sex, emotional blackmail, sour face stone silences to try and get her own way."

So you're suggesting he might have been justified in beating her to death?

35 minutes ago, Chas UK said:

What's going to happen to these children? Do they get thrust into some kind of adoption/foster system or will the family be helped & encouraged to raise them?

As transam said, almost certainly to be taken care of by her parents / family; for their support a lot will depend on how much money he has here, or can raise here, and how long a term of incarceration he is given, assuming that he will get banged up. So a lot of imponderables until we know more, but reasonably safe to assume that the family will look after them regardless of the financial implications 

Edited by Eloquent pilgrim
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Why are you suggesting there are 'special problems" with Thai - Expat marriages? And are you suggesting that is the case regardless of whether the male or female partner is Thai? And are you suggesting similar with same sex marriages?

Do you have any bona fide research you can quote to support your ideas?

When people ask for "citations" on a forum it is because they6 don't have an argument.

If you read my previous posts you will see how irrelevant your question is.

However how about you - let's assume you have some evidence to counter my supposition?

4 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

"Fair point. But we also don't know if she was a complete ass either. She might have been using the no sex, emotional blackmail, sour face stone silences to try and get her own way."

So you're suggesting he might have been justified in beating her to death?

Did I write that? No.

But you're choosing to quote only a couple of sentences out of several paragraphs rather than quote the proceeding and succeeding sentences which add context suggests a great deal.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

As transam said, almost certainly to be taken care of by her parents / family; for their support a lot will depend on how much money he has here, or can raise here, and how long a term of incarceration he is given, assuming that he will get banged up. So a lot of imponderables until we know more, but reasonably safe to assume that the family will look after them regardless of the financial implications 

Thank you, most helpful.

Like you say, a lot of imponderables until we know more. I know little of Thai law or culture & this sort of info is most helpful.

Whatever money is available, will first priority be the children or will Smitham be allowed/forced to use it for his lawyer fee's?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chas UK said:

Thank you, most helpful.

Like you say, a lot of imponderables until we know more. I know little of Thai law or culture & this sort of info is most helpful.

Whatever money is available, will first priority be the children or will Smitham be allowed/forced to use it for his lawyer fee's?

A very good question Chas, but I’m afraid I can't answer with any certainty. My Thai wife and other Thai friends, think he will be allowed to pay for a lawyer to translate, and defend himself in court.

One Thai friend thinks that he might even avoid a custodial sentence if the court believes it only happened because he was drunk, that he did not intend to kill her, and needs to take care of the kids (with his passport confiscated) again, how much money or saleable assets he has here may play a significant role

Thai friends all think that the court would need to be assured that there is no evidence of previous brutality towards her (which a post mortem and / or witnesses might, or might not establish)

Sorry, I’ve probably asked more questions that I’ve answered, and this is only opinions from Thai friends. We are all short of facts on this story at the moment, and one of the problems on this forum is that stories often do not get updated creating speculation.

2 hours ago, Happy enough said:

nothing to suggest this lady was in any kind of poverty prior to her marriage.

The pictures of the crime scene which is also the woman's parents property would suggest a less than opulent pre-farang lifestyle, I doubt she moved to Pataya for a yacht mooring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

i think the fact you suggest there is a  'special' problem quite disturbing.  so we shall beg to differ

53 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

The pictures of the crime scene which is also the woman's parents property would suggest a less than opulent pre-farang lifestyle, I doubt she moved to Pataya for a yacht mooring.

can't recall the house being that bad to be honest and it seems from photos she made her money selling herbalife. i don't know why she moved to pattaya but it's supposed to be a city, i am sure not everyone is there working in bars but think as you wish i suppose. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fish Head Soup said:

You been watching hem Columbo reruns again?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Happy enough said:

can't recall the house being that bad to be honest and it seems from photos she made her money selling herbalife. i don't know why she moved to pattaya but it's supposed to be a city, i am sure not everyone is there working in bars but think as you wish i suppose. 

Hard to make $ from network marketing.

1 minute ago, Happy enough said:

i wouldn't really know. some people must do alright or you'd think names like herbalife and avon and shit like that wouldn't be such well known brands

Top 5%. The rest nope. People come and go.

The structure means early joiners make the big $ and late joiners peanuts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Hard to make $ from network marketing.

For most people I agree that it would be tough to make a decent living from it. However, those that get in early with a new product and are able to build teams make a very good living. One of the senior staff where I work quit to go into network marketing full time. While only doing it in his free time to begin with, he was earning more than double his salary so it made sense to him to do it full time. 

• Sad 1

It is reported that she had a fitness page on Facebook with 28,000 followers ... that would give her enormous potential to earn a good living. We don’t know how much she applied herself to selling but great potential from that many followers 

we don’t however know much about his situation; he has a long wait fo a UK state pension, but could have retired early from a good job with a private pension. Very little info about him so far, although one poster said he knew him. 

I only hope it is not the case that this violent bully hasn’t got a pot to piss in and has consequently snubbed out the family’s only means of support when he killed her

Edited by Eloquent pilgrim
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

I think it's time to stop your war and perhaps send some private messages to each other?

It's about a Thai woman who got killed by her British husband, remember? 

indeed Jenny …. I did attempt to put an end to it this morning, but as you can see, he told me to “jog on” …. which I believe is cool street parlance for go away ….. you may also have seen his reply to you before it was deleted

his anger is omnipresent (*∆°)

21 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

It is reported that she had a fitness page on Facebook with 28,000 followers ... that would give her enormous potential to earn a good living. We don’t know how much she applied herself to selling but great potential from that many followers 

we don’t however know much about his situation; he has a long wait fo a UK state pension, but could have retired early from a good job with a private pension. Very little info about him so far, although one poster said he knew him. 

I only hope it is not the case that this violent bully hasn’t got a pot to piss in and has consequently snubbed out the family’s only means of support when he killed her

Maybe she was making too much money.. allowed her to be too independent.. could have attributed to his anger. 

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

Maybe she was making too much money.. allowed her to be too independent.. could have attributed to his anger. 

A lack of facts and information has us all speculating, but that is certainly a possible scenario. It is why I have been concerned that financially he might be a busted flush, and that she was the family breadwinner